Mike Smith - It's Only Rock and Roll (DC5 related)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Reader, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reader

Reader Senior Member Thread Starter

Mike Smith - It's only Rock and Roll. Released in 1990

If you are a DC5 fan you need a copy of this album. It's the only solo album by Mike Smith that has been released although he did do an album with Mike d'Abo in the middle 70s. It's as close to a new DC5 album as we're likely to get. His singing is great - right up there with his best vocals in the DC5. There are 11 oldies from the 50s that it's obvious he loves and 3 new songs probably written for the album. The instruments used are close enough so that you could imagine this as a later DC5 album. It is on Mooncrest Records- RNRCD 1000 so I'm assuming he self-released this as I've never seen another release on this label. My copy is British and I don't think It was released anywhere else, but I could be wrong about that.

Why in the world did he not do more recordings? He had a unique voice and was a trained musician so he had the ability. His songwriting credits with the DC5 show he could write songs so what happened? He did do jingles for radio and television but that's about it as far as I know. If anyone knows more about his post DC5 work please post it so we can know more about this great musician. Again, I think he is unique and feel that he is being forgotten.

Does anyone else have a copy of this? I bought a copy in 1991 and have never seen another copy in a store or on-line. I don't use e-bay so it may be easy to find there. My copy is a cd but I believe it was also released on vinyl.
    Anyone have more information about this release?

2. Reader

It is so sad and ironic that he starts playing live after all these years with the Mike Smith Rock Engine and has an accident and then dies. Surely after the DC5 broke up 40 years ago he recorded more material that should be released. Sundazed or some label should contact his family and see what exists. I would love to here more.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

As I recall, when he was touring, his website had a bunch of recent CDs for sale.

4. Reader

Bill, I didn't realize he even had a website for himself. I do remember some info about his short tour being on a couple DC5 sites but didn't see any links to his site. Did you or anybody else reading this get any of the CDs you mention? Where they live recordings? Any more info on them?

I'm surprised nobody else has any comments about his "It's Only Rock and Roll" album. Nobody likes it or has nobody heard it? Like I said, I think it's a fun album and his singing is as strong as it ever was.

5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Wayyyyyy underrated rock singer, one of my favorites.

6. Reader

Very underrated!! He's never mentioned on any list of great singers that I've ever seen. His vocals always seem natural and not forced. He has both power and the ability to do subtle things.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

One of the best. The great thing about his voice was how he could change it based on the song. When he needed a soft, pop voice like on "Because" or "Sometimes", he had it. When he needed to roar like on "I Need Love", he could do that just as well. Amazing talent.

8. Reader

Nobody has the solo album this thread is about? Maybe some of you have it but don't think it's special?

Anyway, is there anyone that has any comments on Mike Smith's post Dave Clark Five work?

I'm sure there are recordings over the past 40 years that would be worth hearing. Maybe someone here who has the connections and enough interest could keep this in mind if they are searching for something to do. I'd love to see Sundazed get hold of his work and at least reissue the "Smith-d'Abo " and the "It's Only Rock and Roll" albums.

This would also be something for Steve and AF to think about. Surely they'd sell enough copies if they could get permission and tapes. Maybe I'm wrong and there's not enough interest. Sad if that's true.

9. Ron Ryan

Ron Ryan New Member

One of the reasons I wrote 'Because' was because I knew Mike was more than just a 'Rock Singer'. The trouble was convincing Dave to record and release it!!! he did not think much of it as it was a ballad, and wanted another 'Bit's and pieces'. I said something like 'you will be surprised how well Mike will sing this, he is much more than just a Rock singer'. Grudgingly Dave did record it, but it shows how much faith he had in it as he released it here on a 'B' side!!!!!! If you want to hear Mike at his best (in my humble opinion) listen to him singing 'On Broadway', I rest my case!!!!

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Reader

I'm very glad to hear Ron Ryan speak highly of Mike Smith. I've read some of the stories , like the article published in a recent "Ugly Things", about the songwriting credits and so forth. Some of the songs with problem credits are among the best the DC5 did.

Ron, if you can and would, I would love to hear more from you about Mike Smith's work in the early days. What was his attitude about the music, anything about his musical abilities, and really just any comments about him especially or the band.

I and also others seem to feel that he, Smith, had much more to do with the music side of the band than Clark himself other than the choice of what to release and the business side of things. Are we wrong? How much say so did Dennis, Rick, and Lenny have about things?

Glad you are visiting this forum and hope everything is going fine with you.

11. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

Those intrigued by the (ongoing) DC5 saga may wish to the visit the forum at:
    www.thedc5.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.