Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=5605448&posted=1#post5605448

Just a reminder, this thread (and the 12 that have preceded it) is for all things classical music. Post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent purchases, concerts, discuss works, composers, etc.

Also, beginners are welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have. This includes requests for recommendations for particular works/composers, etc.

:wave:

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

13 means bad luck. I'm not gonna post in this thread.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Right Here, Right Now . . .

Viz Pizza-Boy's Dowland question, the answer:

[​IMG]
    . . . Mind you, not just this one, though Volume 2 is as good a place to start as any. In any case, all four CDs are wonderful, well recorded, Nigel North is extraordinarily articulate in his ornaments and always conscious of Dowland's rhythms. A great set.

5. George P

villicodelirante - When I started collecting classical, especially Beethoven, I came across a person online who had heard a few dozen sets of the sonatas. I consulted him to get ideas about where to start, as I loved the works, but didn't know where to begin. At the time, I had only Barenboim's DG set. He suggested some things and I took his suggestions. A few of these I loved (Annie Fischer, Gulda), a few I liked (Backhaus, Kempff) and a few I didn't like (Kovacevich EMI, Silverman.) Each of these he rated at or near the top, but only a few were at my top. And this wasn't after years of listening either, it was pretty much my first impression and remains my impression to this day.

He was, and is, very knowledgeable on the Beethoven sonatas. However, he was not knowledgeable on what I enjoyed. Sure, there was some overlap, but there's no objective truth in classical music performance. Only what we each enjoy. I wasn't saying that suggestions won't help you out, for they will, but again, using the Beethoven sonatas as an example, Kempff's mono set and Annie Fischer's set get cited time and time again as being among the very finest. So you might think that simply buying one would be a safe bet, right? No way, as the two interpretations couldn't be more different. Listening to samples of each on youtube will reveal just how different classical music can be interpreted. What I love might turn out to be what you hate, or we may love the same recording of the Symphonies but disagree heartily on the concertos. There's unfortunately no rules, no shortcuts to listening for oneself and determining what you enjoy.

Now, you might find people who have similar taste to yours. I certainly have and I value these people's opinions greatly. However, I have yet to find a source that didn't let me down every once in awhile. So I try to sample a recording of any suggestion that I get. It can be a lot of fun to go on youtube and listen to different pianists play the same work. Doing so should help you zero in on styles and pianists that you like.

6. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

One of my favourite CD's and awesome CD cover....love the power of the angry sea.
    [​IMG]

7. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

George about Beethoven sonatas

**Reply to post #5 **

I'm looking forward to that Fischer Beethoven Sonata set.
    I heard samples and it sounds like it's pretty amazing. :righton:

Hope it's the real deal cuz I'm a lil spooked that a $100 set went for $12.

Same Guys (MovieMarz) sells the set in one place for $168 and another for $11.66! << scratching head >>
    I don't get that at all....so I'm hoping the $11.66 gamble will pay off.
    Just seems pretty odd that they would do that.

When everyone gets their $12 copy please let us know here!

[​IMG]

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Neighborooni

Okely-dokaly!

9. George P

Yea, I hope each any every one of you that wanted that set gets a copy for that incredibly ridiculous price.

*fingers crossed*

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Listening now to Veracini.....

[​IMG]

Excellent playing from the L'Arte dell'Arco under the direction of Frederico Guglielmo, excellent SACD sound, and nice Italian Baroque music.

11. Graphyfotoz

WHitese
    As far as ships at sea....coupla my fav covers I have.
    Music on both is quite good too! :D :righton:

[​IMG]..[​IMG]

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Well, when there will be 500 posts, the thread may be renamed to #13 1/2, for you safety and pleasure. :laugh:

13. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Why don't we just have a Gort close this thread and jump to #14? Problem solved. :uhhuh:

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's just a change of style

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh, it's just a little cast of Triskaidekaphobia, just like Arnold Schoenberg used to have.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Actually, for those of us who post to this thread, the more apt numerical passage to fear is from 9 to 10 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_ninth), and we're well past that. So now I am confident that absolutely nothing can go rohng.

16. George P

:laugh:

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Note to villicodelirante: thank you for your well wishes in thread 12 on the occasion of our US birthday! That was most gracious, fully in keeping with the description I once read of your country as "the land of small kindnesses." I hope that you and your lady friend had a lovely time [OK, let's keep this "on topic"] luxuriating in a spacious box at La Scala. :winkgrin:

When I finished high school, 'way back in the Pleistocene, my graduation present from my parents was participation in a group trip to Europe sponsored by my just-finished school. Alas, we did not set foot in Italy--mostly we spent our time in Germany and Austria, with a detour through Switzerland and a "generous" couple of hours in Lichtenstein--but we did spend about three days in Paris at the end, and being the perfectly average teenager with perfectly average teenaged taste that I was, of course my first act when granted "liberty" from the group was to seek out the Paris Opera in hopes of securing a ticket to a performance there. Mind you, I did not (and still do not) speak a word of French, and my sense of direction simply does not exist. Well, narrowly avoiding getting swept away in a protest march of some sort that came boiling out of a side street as I made my uncertain way, I finally found the place and asked whether I might be able to purchase a ticket. The gentleman to whom I was speaking, I'm sure viewing an American teenager as only slightly more desirable than a cockroach in his beautiful theater, proceeded to explain that no seats were available except by renting a full box at an astronomical price. So ended my sole attempt to attend a European opera performance.

Oh, well, earlier on in Austria I did get to take in a lovely evening of chamber music, courtesy of the Franz Schubert String Quartet, in a stunningly appointed 18th c. concert room (oddly, equipped with folding chairs straight out of the local equivalent of Target), and over the course of the two-week trip I accumulated some dozen or so 78 RPM discs, which I cradled in my lap all through the 11-hour flight back to the States. My parents never let me live down that when I stepped off the plane, I was carrying a bunch of 78 RPM records!

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Jay, I noticed you posted this CD on the last thread, which is now closed. It is indeed a highly virtuosic performance. I should know since I have this CD in my collection as well ...

[​IMG]

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Note to Chris R.: working in reverse order, thanks to you for *your* well wishes on the 4th, too! That same trip that I just outlined did give me my sole visit to Canada--but pretty inconsequential, as it was a 1-hour layover at Gander, Newfoundland. Never have made it so far north again. Sigh...

20. Graphyfotoz

Coop....what CD's don't you have? :D
    Take less time to post what you don't have....than what you do.
    If ya run outta room lemme know! :laugh: :righton:

21. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

In case anyone missed it the first time, MovieMarz has more copies.

FWIW, I've ordered a ton of CD's from their web site recently, and they ship fast and everything was exactly what was listed on the web site. The key is to make sure the UPC matches, which it does in this case.

22. George P

Thanks for the heads up evan! :wave:

23. Graphyfotoz

AWESOME Evan! :cheers:
    Dunno how they can do that tho?
    What a hellova bargain on a $100+ set.

24. coopmv

Going out of business sales?

25. coopmv

Many of the S. Richter's recordings George has are not in my collection yet. Lotta catch-up to do ... :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.