DCC Archive CBS Mastersound LP's = CRAP???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

WYWH is all over the place in Toronto. Just left "Edwards" who had a pile of them. They even had one (reissue?!? resealed?!?) in clear plastic. Pretty cheap, too - under $20.00.

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I believe that the original comments made by Gregg Schnitzer were in reference to the original CBS Mastersound 1/2 speed series on lp and have nothing to do with the Gold CD issues. I can say with certain confidence that the entire LP series with the exception of a hand full of titles were crap. I speak from experience in that I own every title issued. The only ones worth seeking out are Wish You Were Here, Abraxis (since bettered on LP by a German pressing), Blood on the Tracks, Friday Night in San Francisco. One of the most coverted is The Wall which is plain terrible. Although most feel that the Japanese LP pressing is the one to own (it does offer tremendous detail), I much prefer the original UK which is the same as the US master, which was cut by the Mastering Lab. However the vinyl used in the pressing is much better.

Ok boys and girls pay attention here is some information on what you need to know regarding pressings. Steve probably know this because most comes from Tom Port of Better Records who is a true genius when it comes to telling great pressings.

Any Mastering Lab Pressing from the 80's has TML in the dead wax followed by either a M or S. This stands for (M)aster or (S)lave cuting. To my knowledge they were all cut using Tube electronics.

Island, Chryalis, some EMI's used a numbering scheme of 1U,2U,3U etc in the dead wax this will indicate if it is from the 1,2,3 etc stampers. It is possible to fine some Chryalis albums with a 1U even though they may have originally appeared on Island (ie. Tull's Benefit).

We all know that the Magical Mystery Tour issued in Germany used the True stereo mixes but did you know that there are three different versions HorZu Label and two on Apple. The one you want has the dead wax on the first side going to about 1/4in from the label. You kind of have to have both Apples pressings together to see how much less dead wax there is to the other. Find one of these and you are in for a real treat the dynamics are awesome.

:D

LeeS, hi_watt, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

TP is very opinionated which is refreshing in these days of political correctness; however, one individual cannot be the ultimate authority on recorded music. There are too many variables in an individual's tastes and experiences.

Ask TP about his opinion of Michael Fremer.

A person should feel comfortable with trusting their own ears as opposed to having to trust a singular authority for fear of rejection, censure or banishment from this board.

Happy listening!

Alcohol + anger + sporting events + instant replay do not equal a happy Cleveland Brown fan.

markshan and john lennonist like this.
  4. DWisker

DWisker Member

I have a few of them. Switched on Bach, Friday Night in San Francisco, & Blood on the Tracks all sound great, but to my ears the best by far is "Bridge over Troubled Water".

kevinfree and Gardo like this.
  5. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I bought The Wall on day of release. It was one of my favorite albums at the time, so when the CBS Mastersound version came out, I saved up some beer money (I was in college) and bought it. At the time, I thought it bettered the original vinyl. Unfortunately (boy, have I kicked myself repeatedly over the decades about this), I sold the original US vinyl because I had the Mastersound and I can't do a comparison of the two. I did a lot of research on this forum about what was the best vinyl version and finally decided to spring for a NM- German EMI Electrola with A0, B0 stampers (hard to find a decent UK early pressing). I think the Mastersound and the German LP are almost indistinguishable, with the Mastersound having slightly fuller bass, but the German slightly deeper bass. Or maybe it's the other way around. Anyway, the result of all my searching and spending more than I probably should have is no improvement over what I had. YMMV.

6. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

This is SO helpful!

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Which Joni Mitchell album is on a CBS label???

8. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I have the longbox CBS Mastersound gold CD of Switched-On Bach
    and the sound is fantastic.

Platterpus likes this.
  9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  10. James Reeno

James Reeno Active Member

Listening to the half speed of "CARGO" and same deal. How would the engineers not know how to do this right?

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You have to have someone with half a brain (not necessarily decent hearing) listen to a test cut/pressing, but that costs money. Half speed mastering to disc isn't worth the hassle, FWIW. To me, it's better to test the limits of the sound of the master and the cutting.

12. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I purchased the Mastersound vinyl of Jeff Beck Blow by Blow in 1981, and I have not heard a better version, including original vinyl, cassette, Friday music vinyl, and MFSL cd.

I also really like the Heart Little Queen. Every version of the Heart album I heard sounded muffled. The Mastersounf brought it alive.

I had the Chicago IX for a awhile, but it did not do anything special for me.

sacsongs likes this.
  13. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I have the vinyl Bridge Over Troubled Waters and it sounds good to me. Remember they weren't that much more expensive than a standard lp, around £1 if I remember rightly. My original BOTW had been nicked by the Spanish police in '71 so when I came to replace it I bought the best available. That must have been around '81ish.

14. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I'm listening to a NM copy of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells on a Mastersound half-speed-mastered lp. I'm just at the end of Side 1, and I have to say this mastering sounds excellent. It doesn't have quite the warmth or ambience of the Classic Records copy, which has a huge soundfield, but it sounds very nice in its own way, perhaps a bit more neutral. Maybe it's the difference between a solid-state mastering chain and a tube mastering chain?

Tonality sounds pretty much spot-on.

Can't wait to flip this one over. The first ten minutes on side two are some of my favorite minutes in recorded music.

15. Gardo

Quick follow-up: side two is just as good as side one. I'm impressed by the mastering and the pressing. What it yields in spooky hologram-style ambience it makes up in clarity of timbre and precision of attack. Highly recommended.

16. harmolodic

harmolodic Forum Resident

Very interesting thread. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the CBS Mastersound edition of Paul McCartney & Wings' 'Band On The Run'? That's one I've always been curious about, but given how much it sells for these days, I'm loathe to plop down that kind of cash if it's going to sound inferior to a pressing I already have.

FWIW, the only Mastersound vinyl I own is V.S.O.P.'s 'Live Under The Sky.' Strangely enough, there was no 'regular' version of this LP released in the U.S. and it's commonly thought of as a Japanese only release (until it finally came out on CD in the U.S. about 10 years ago). So, except for the CD, I have no other vinyl edition to compare it to.

17. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I own a bunch of nautilus and cbs half speeds....the only one i refuse to play is the journey infinity...it sounds like glass beeaking....sure some are better than others but i dont find any terrible (except infinity..) Are there better pressings??? Sure, but the fun of collecting is to have different pressings (for me anyway).

18. honestabe316

The general consensus seems to be that an early uk htm wywh beats out even a japanese mastersound wywh.....my question is how are say the prices for the mastersound and an early uk both in vg+/nm condition? And can anyone compare the masterings of each?

19. gss

gss Forum Resident

I prefer the Mastersound version of The Stranger over the original, and I prefer my Japanese Mastersound of The Nylon Curtain over the original, and maybe - maybe - over the recent MOFI release.

20. honestabe316

My weather report, jeff beck, santana, boston cbs halfspeeds sound very good....the only one i cringe at is my journey infinity cbs halfspeed....its terrible beyond belief

21. honestabe316

I have the cbs HS the stranger too...i like it

gss likes this.
  22. gss

gss Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on Costello's Imperial Bedroom?

23. YARDJEFF

YARDJEFF New Member

My copy of Billy Joel's "52nd Street" is the best sounding vinyl I own. Blew my mind.

24. Gardo

Another data point: I just got the Mastersound half-speed LP of "Switched On Bach," and it's superb. Highly recommended.

Also another thumbs-up for the half-speed "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

25. honestabe316

see, I don't like the BOTW.....but I like several of the CBS half speeds....wonder if the QC was haphazard...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.