Capitol Records to remaster Apple Records catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The first six singles were in unique mono mixes. I don't want LP versions on a singles collection.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ah, ok. I thought you were talking about new remixes.

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Two pluses John Tavener and Modern Jazz Quartet are two fers

Disappointed that Jackie Lomax and James Taylor have no bonus tracks

Not happy that some Badfinger bonus tracks are download only

Not happy about download bonus tracks period!

Hey since I own everything but Celtic Requiem on CD already lets just say I'm not happy.

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member Thread Starter

OK.. so everyone was complaining that there was no best of Apple release.. they make one and we're complaining because it doesn't have obscure b-sides on it? Wouldn't that be another release? Like bonus tracks if they wanted?

5. apple-richard

Well if they wanted to please everyone they should done an Apple Singles Volume 1 and Volume 2 etc.

6. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

The James Taylor is a real disappointment. I agree - I think the bonus tracks should be available on the CDs! The "missing" singles tracks for Mary Hopkin is also a disappointment. Depending on sound quality, I may pass on many of these. I wonder if they will release Badfinger & Hopkin comps?

Dexter

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A lot *are* available on the CDs:

Magic Christian Music - 5 on CD, +6 more download only
    No Dice - 6 on CD, +2 more download only
    Straight Up - 6 on CD, +7 more download only
    A$$ - 5 on CD, +5 more download only

Every CD except Straight Up has more bonus tracks than the old Apple CDs (Straight Up has the same number).

Having them *all* on CD would be wonderful, but I'd say that's still quite a bit on the CDs.

8. apple-richard

I also have Mary's Those Were The Days and The Radha Krisna Temple CDs. Too bad those aren't part of this reissue list. A$$ from the UK to me sounds alright, better than the US LP so it didn't bother me. I'll get the comp for Lon and Derek Von Eaton and Bill Elliot, I love both singles. The CDs I really don't know...

I want all bonus tracks on CD, I don't download.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Now's probably a good time to start.

10. apple-richard

I feel downloading is 100% for the label and nothing for me. They get my money and don't really have to "produce" anything. I don't like it and believe it's a total ripoff to the consumer. Which by the way is me.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nothing for you? You get the music, don't you?

Given a choice, yes, I would always prefer a physical product, even if the download is lossless. But I'd much rather have downloads available than nothing, which is almost certainly the alternative in this case.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've never heard Jackie Lomax's album and George Harrison produced it and was heavily involved in it (a la the first Splinter album on Dark Horse Records).

Will I need this?

13. art

art Senior Member

Yes! It takes 59 seconds to get used to the sound of his voice ... after that, total blue-eyed soul with a Beatle-bent ... The two albums he did after this are as worthy.

Oh, and "Sour Milk Sea" features Ringo, Macca and Harrison, as well as Clapton.

14. apple-richard

I suppose you may be right. Let me put it this way.

When The Beatles Anthology CDs came out I already "owned" 90% of it and in a lot of cases what I already had was better quality than what came out officially. I believe that will be the case once again.

15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I can't believe we still are not getting ANY mix of the Al Kooper version of "Name Of The Game"....WHY!!!! This should have been a perfect time to finally get this out there.
    Nice to see those other alternates that are new bonus tracks...something we've had floating around for a while...now we should have them in better quality....
    I'm also not too thrilled about the downloads.....but hey,better than nothing.

JF

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I go with you and Luke on this, Joe. For the Badfinger stuff its got to be better quality than what's been bootlegged - unlike Beatles outtakes which cirulated in high quality and superior mixes. The Badfinger outtakes are all very low-fi, at least what I have is. And yes the lack of Kooper mix is the true disappointment.

With regard to the singles comp... I'm curious about the fact that Brute Force licensed "King of Fuh" to RPM/Cherry Red in the UK, for release on a recent comp. Looks like Apple still believes they own the rights to it. :shh:

17. apple-richard

The Jackie Lomax album is excellent! It is a must buy.

The first Splinter LP is great also. It's one of my dreams to have it released on CD on day

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Maybe I'm just in denial, but I have trouble believing the Jackie Lomax track listing is accurate. It doesn't make sense to reissue it without any bonus tracks. At the very least they ought to include the old ones.

Or Brute Force licensed it to Apple.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would agree, you need to start right about now.

Then you burn your tracks to a CD-R, then rip, mix, & burn another CD-R which has all your Badfinger outtakes in the sequence you so desire, and you feel a more complete life lived.

You can have it your way after all. And you support Apple's releases while you are at it.

:D

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The remaining tracks to the "lost" album have turned up in high quality. Well, I have them in 160kbps MP3 from a high quality source anyway. I can't say I have a ton else to comment on, however.

FYI, it looks like all of the No Dice and Straight Up bonus tracks from the original CDs are here, albeit some are now download only. For Maybe Tomorrow/Magic Christian Music and A$$, however, most of the versions on the original CDs are not here, but rather replaced with alternate mixes or versions.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is good news for the collector, don't you think? I mean who wants a bunch or repeats when you can have fresh new content.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

True. I guess its possible that BF owes it**. Its just interesting that its never been on CD and now its going to be on two - within months of each other.

Oddly RPM is also releasing a Jackie Lomax CD but I guess its all post Apple stuff.

To your first point, the Apple site is so messed up that it seems like a mistake to take it verbatim at this stage. Some of the album covers aren't correct and there's lots of junk text.

**EDIT: looking at the notes to Lovers fromt the Sky, Stefan says that Apple returned the rights and the master tape to BF.

23. apple-richard

Looking at the track listing for Magic Christian Music makes me glad I bought The Iveys CD back in 1992.

24. flores81

flores81 New Member

Apple site is messed up???

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Agreed.

The lack of any other alternate Name of the Game is a bit perplexing, however. Perhaps they didn't want to spend the time to create a new mix, assuming a vintage mix couldn't be located?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.