Car 54 - Original series coming to DVD early 2011

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DJ WILBUR, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

Anyone a fan of this show? the full series is coming out on DVD early next year and being mastered from the original film negatives. I believe this is the first time the entire series will be released on DVD and looking great and pristine...

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that this set would look better in high resolution onj Blu Ray.

3. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Good for the fans of the show. I've had them for a decade off the masters that were sent to a local NY cable network.

4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Ooh! Ooh! Francis! We're comin' to DVD!

Attached Files:

• ooh.jpg
      ooh.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  5. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I caught an episode of Car 54 when I was young, visiting my grandparents, when channel 44 in SF used to run classic sitcoms at 10pm for a couple weeks every August.
    I still remember the plot. These old guys had tried a bank heist way back, wearing police uniforms to avoid suspicion, but were caught. Years later, one of the guys found out why: it was the first day after the cops changed their seasonal uniforms, so the theives had the wrong outfits on. So he called the rest of the old gang and said "I know what we did wrong - let's try it again." By this time, though, they were too old to be scaling walls and stuff, and got nabbed again. Great show.
    I always remembered the theme song, too, from seeing just that one episode, although I couldn't understand the "Khrushchev's due at Idlewild" line.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

This is great news! I taped them all back in 1987/8 but getting them on DVD will be an excellent viewing treat!!
    Extras?

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

From Wiki:

The theme song was written by series creator, writer, and director Nat Hiken.

The lyric "Khrushchev's due at Idlewild" referred to Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev arriving in September 1960 at New York International Airport, nicknamed Idlewild, to attend the United Nations General Assembly (in 1963, after the end of this show's production and after the assassination of President Kennedy, the airport was renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport).

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And Dickey Betts' farm was nicknamed " Idlewild South " because there were so many people coming and going...

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what's not to love about this! Pre Herman Munster! Indeed!

Can't wait....

10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I've never seen an ep. but I know the theme by heart.

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Loved this show in my youth:cheers:

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

YES! YES! YES! I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS FOR YEARS!!!! I'VE BEG, PLEADED, RANTED AND RAVED ON DVD MESSAGE BOARDS ALL ACROSS THE INTERNET! THANK YOU, LORD! MY FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME!

13. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

If it's half as funny as I remember it, it'll be a riot!

14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

This is great news, but I only hope they actually go thru with releasing the whole series and they dont cancel, like they did with "The Big Valley". They released 1 and 1/2 seasons, then abruply cancelled it all. I'm still waiting for the remaining 3 1/2 seasons!

15. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

I remember Charlotte Rae (later Mrs. Garrett on the dreadful "Facts of Life") being extremely hilarious as Sylvia Schnauser, the wife of one of the policemen (I think her husband later played Grandpa Munster). In one episode, while trying to stay on a diet, she stumbles onto a cookie commercial being filmed in the local Bronx grocery store - and as the "average housewife" chosen to sample one, she winds up unable to stop eating the cookies and gorges herself until she passes out on the floor.

16. il pleut

il pleut New Member

one the funniest shows ever made! i can't wait....

"ooh ohh look... isn't that an aaardvark?"

17. il pleut

il pleut New Member

yeah they did 3 seasons of green acres then stopped. still waiting for the other 3.

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Love this show. Back when I worked the graveyard shift, the whole crew would watch this at some obscene hour, 3AM or something. Thanks for the heads up.

Matt

19. bencasey

bencasey New Member

I don't see anything about this on TVSHOWSONDVD.com about this. What company is releasing this?

20. Phaserz On Stun

Phaserz On Stun Forum Resident

Id like to have this show on DVD too. I searched but I didnt find any information about this show being released next year... in its entirety no less? Where did you get this information?

21. DJ WILBUR

Shanachie Entertainment is putting out I was told all 60 episodes, which I was told were three seasons worth...

22. DJ WILBUR

from a friend at Shanachie Entertainment.

23. il pleut

il pleut New Member

there were 2 seasons- 30 eps per.

24. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Not a known company in the world of vintage TV releases. I'll hold judgment on this until I see more information released.

25. DJ WILBUR

sorry, I might have gotten that wrong as an assumption of 20 episodes a season in my mind...as 30 episodes seems like a lot for one season, but 60 episodes it is that they have. Shanachie now owns all the master film stock and doing transfers now...I know the folks there, this is basically a labor of love for them, fans that they are of this show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.