New iTunes icon looks a lot like Columbia logo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stan94, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The latest iTunes icon with the blue-ish tint looks very similar to the old 'Magic Notes' Columbia logo, don't you think (either EMI or CBS)?

2. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

It sure does.

Trouble is, with the amount of cash Apple Inc has these days, they can more or less do what they want and get away with it.

Chris

3. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

The colour of the logo makes it resemble the one used by EMI's Columbia imprint from 1963 onwards.

[​IMG]

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

A bit, yes - eighth notes instead of sixteenth notes though :D :

Attached Files:

5. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Interesting....didn't notice it at first.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

there was something very familiar about it to me but I didn't put it together until now. Interesting.

I do wonder if they'll get in trouble.

dan c

7. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

+1:)

I kept wondering why it seemed strangely familiar.

8. Didn't really notice it either, law suit to follow. ;)

9. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Right, the main reason for the logo change. They're right, really. When iTunes started non-physical music seemed so intangible. Now it's pretty much the norm. No need at all to associate 'music' with a 'cd'. iTunes is now simply 'iTunes'. A fascinating evolution really.

dan c

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Makes sense, and a very interesting observation. Gives me a bit more appreciation for the new logo, though I do agree somewhat with the idea that it looks a bit "amateurish."

12. jude7265

jude7265 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder. I'm downloading iTunes 10 now.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Interesting guys both in relation to the Columbia logo resemblance and the imaging moving away from physical media.

14. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Speaking of iTunes, I'm just wondering something, since I don't use it to buy music...

I was on Amazon the other day and noticed that one could purchase a full downloaded album for $9.99. I assume that this is the standard price for a single album download. However, in this case, the CD was being sold for $7.98 - 2 dollars cheaper than the download!

Does this make any sense to you?

Dexter

15. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

JQW, that's a seriously off-centre pair of Columbia logos on them thar labels!!! :)=)

16. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

not really but keep in mind you'd pay for shipping on that too which would probably make them equal.

17. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

Thing is, it wouldn't be EMI suing for infringement (if one existed - you can't trademark a pair of notes per se), but Sony. CBS Records won exclusive rights to the Columbia name and both trademarks (Magic Notes and Walking Eye) sometime in the early 80s, I believe.

18. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

True - but I always try to get to $25 - which means I pay more! :D

19. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's the logo itself, not specifically the notes. I'm sure Apple know what they're doing, and many young people have probably never heard of Columbia (let alone seen a record label), but still the resemblance is striking.

20. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

EMI was still using their Columbia imprint right up to the end of the 1980s, but by then it was restricted to occasional releases, usually novelty ones. The official songs of the two finalists of the FA Cup final usually appeared on Columbia, for example. EMI finally closed down the label in 1990, selling the remaining assets to Sony Music, but it took a few more years before the 'magic notes' trademark was transferred across.

21. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

Thanks for filling in the details there. I thought it was later, but I read something somewhere (and then somewhere else, then somewhere else) that led me to believe it was earlier!

22. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Given the state of the music business, I'm certain a lawsuit will follow, and Sony will get an out of court settlement....

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.