THE HOLY MACKEREL (Paul Williams) - Deluxe Expanded Edition CD Out Now on Now Sounds!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by now_sounds, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. now_sounds

now_sounds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just thought I would spread the word that NOW SOUNDS has just released a DELUXE EXPANDED EDITION of THE HOLY MACKEREL's self-titled album from 1968.

• ALL TRACKS SOURCED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES!
    • PAUL WILLIAMS’ FIRST PSYCH POP BAND
    • 22 TRACKS—NEARLY DOUBLED IN LENGTH

Paul Williams co-authored some of the best known and biggest-selling pop hits of the 20th century, including “We’ve Only Just Begun,” “Rainy Days and Mondays,” and “Let Me Be The One” by The Carpenters. His compositions have also been recorded by Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Three Dog Night, The Monkees, and literally thousands of others. Before all that, he and brother Mentor Williams—himself the author of Dobie Gray’s 1973 hit “Drift Away”—were members of a short-lived psychedelic pop outfit called The Holy Mackerel.

This remastered and expanded reissue of their 1968 eponymous LP includes 10 bonus tracks, 9 of which are making their CD debut, including the original demo of the Roger Nichols cowritten “Bitter Honey.” The deluxe, full-colour booklet also includes rare, unpublished photos and extensive liner notes by STEVE STANLEY, featuring the participation of PAUL WILLIAMS, co-writer ROGER NICHOLS, and other band members.

Produced by RICHARD PERRY
    Produced for reissue by STEVE STANLEY.

See a scan below of the original master tape box of the THE HOLY MACKEREL!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holy-Mackerel/dp/B003XKB0GW

Attached Files:

Scope J likes this.
  2. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I'm on it!! Thanks Steve!

3. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Excellent album! Thanks for the news!

4. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Definitely need to check this out! I also notice that Someday Man is due for a reissue at the end of October. I assume we'll hear more about that in due course.

Geoff

5. now_sounds

Someday Man - deluxe CD also coming!

Yes, Geoff, you are correct! Will post about that one soon. Our Someday Man is also a deluxe edition with 22 tracks.

Thanks for the support. It's really appreciated!

Steve

6. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Good one Steve:eek: I played the bejesus out of the CCM versions of those CD's and now I'm going to have to buy them all over again.Thanks a million(LOL)
    I've placed my order at AMAZON U.K.

7. now_sounds

Holy Mackerel!

My pleasure, Cousin. (Believe it or not, I have actual cousins living in Sydney!)

8. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Sound Samples?

Do sound samples exist for this expanded release?
    Thanks, Trevor.

9. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

On a side note, back in the day, I jammed with a bass player I think his name was Rob. He was the original bass player in Jefferson Airplane before they got Jack. He told me he'd been in Holy Mackerel and had done a lot of recording with them. By the time the album came out they'd gotten Jerry Scheff (later to play with Elvis among others).

10. now_sounds

Interesting, Ragu. You're thinking of Bob Harvey. There are two tracks on the CD that were written by Bob: "Wildflowers" and "Listen The The Voice."

And sound samples from the CD should be up on Amazon fairly soon. In the meantime, here's this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6adne_Ge3o

11. now_sounds

Holy Mackerel NOW SOUNDS CD available NOW at Amazon!

The Holy Mackerel CD is now available at Amazon US:
    http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Mackerel/dp/B003XKB0GW

Meanwhile Paul Williams' Someday Man (Deluxe Expanded Edition) will be available from Now Sounds in two weeks!

Attached Files:

12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I'm loving this disc! First time I heard the whole album (I was only familiar with "Scorpio Red"). Especially dig "Bitter Honey" and "Nothin' Short of Misery".

Thumbs up!

Still waiting for my copy of "Someday Man"...

Jeff

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have the original LP release of this. I remember the Cleveland "underground" station playing "1984" from it. Funny how that year seemed so far away in 1969!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.