CBS/Sony Japan for U.S. pressing CDs not stating ‘Disc/Record manufactured in Japan’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SecondHandNews, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident Thread Starter

What a thread title, eh? :)

I created this thread because I was curious about the following:

In regards to only CBS titles (and its affiliates),

I'm looking for ones that are CBS/Sony Japan for U.S. pressed discs that have inserts that lack either "Record manufactured in Japan..." or "Disc manufactured in Japan..."

Post what titles you know for sure exist! :righton:

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Here are a few examples:

* Billy Joel Piano Man, catalog number CK 32544
    * Bruce Springsteen Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J., catalog number CK 31903
    * Bruce Springsteen Born in the U.S.A., catalog number CK 38653 (some copies)

Japanese CBS/Sony pressings exist for the above titles. Inserts for Piano Man and Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. do not say "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or "Record manufactured in Japan..." Instead, they reference New York, N.Y. for CBS Records.

For Born in the U.S.A., a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing can be found with inserts that say "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or with inserts that mention CBS in New York, N.Y.

3. KeithH

A few points:

* Generally speaking, Japanese CBS/Sony pressings of U.S. CBS/Sony issues are rare. CBS/Sony only pressed discs at its Japanese pressing plant for the U.S. market for a short period of time. The U.S. DADC plant opened in September of 1984.

* Most Japanese CBS/Sony pressings of U.S. CBS/Sony issues are found with inserts that state "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or "Record manufactured in Japan..."

* At some point, probably sometime in 1984, U.S. CBS/Sony issues appeared with inserts that referenced CBS Records in New York, N.Y. instead of stating "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or "Record manufactured in Japan..."

* A handful of titles referencing CBS Records in New York, N.Y. were actually pressed first in Japan by CBS/Sony rather than being pressed first in the U.S. by DADC. This is counterintuitive since there was no longer a reference to the discs being made in Japan on the inserts, but it is true nonetheless. I cited a few examples in my previous post.

4. SecondHandNews

Thank you, Keith. This is exactly my point, and these are exactly the types of titles I am looking to compile a list of.

:wave:

5. KeithH

Another way to view this:

Scenario 1:

Inserts say "Disc manufactured in Japan" or "Record manufactured in Japan..."

The title was first pressed in Japan by CBS/Sony and was subsequently pressed in the U.S. by DADC.

U.S. pressings may be found with "Now Made In The U.S.A." stamped on the back insert.

The "Now Made In The U.S.A." stamp was not added for every title. For titles that did not receive the stamp, inserts with U.S. pressings are identical to inserts with the Japanese CBS/Sony pressings. An example is Journey Escape.

For titles that received the "Now Made In The U.S.A." stamp, the earliest U.S. DADC pressings can be found without the stamp. These early U.S. DADC pressings are hard to find, but they exist in some cases.

Scenario 2:

Inserts reference CBS Records in New York, N.Y.

Most titles with the New York, N.Y. reference were first pressed in the U.S. by DADC.

A handful of titles with the New York, N.Y. reference were first pressed in Japan by CBS/Sony. I cited a few titles in post #24 above.

A few other points:

* If a title was issued with inserts bearing "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or "Record manufactured in Japan...", the inserts normally were not changed to reference CBS Records in New York, N.Y.

* Exceptions are Boston Don't Look Back and Bruce Springsteen Born in the U.S.A..

* In the case of Don't Look Back, the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing is only found with inserts that state "Record manufactured in Japan..." U.S. pressings and a Japanese Denon pressing are found with inserts referencing CBS Records in New York, N.Y.

* In the case of Born in the U.S.A., the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing can be found with inserts that state "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or inserts that reference CBS Records in New York, N.Y.

6. SecondHandNews

Thanks for going into detail on that, Keith.

Your Scenario 2 is what I was referring to in my question.:righton:

7. Part of what made this confusion historically was that:

• CBS/Sony in Japan was a joint venture between CBS and Sony for years and was effectively Sony providing CD making technology.
    • Sony DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corp) opened its plant in late 1984 in Indiana, USA. Originally it was a CBS/Sony joint venture. Increasing cooperation between CBS and Sony set the stage for Sony to acquire CBS Records in a few years.
    • CBS/Sony Japan was still supplying CDs to Europe and other markets, until the Austria DADC plant opened. DADC USA began to supply Canada with US discs and Canadian inserts.
    • Columbia discs sold outside of the USA/Canada were labeled with 'CBS', as CBS did not own the rights to 'Columbia' then, and CBS wanted to sell CDs in different countries due to limited capacity and labeled them as such. So, once significant US capacity came on line (DADC), they began to offer US market/labelled only discs across the board.
    • CD demand exploded in 1985.
    • All of this happened around 1984-5.
    • Of course, as Keith mentioned there are exceptions, due to local markets.

8. SecondHandNews

I just made another realization. This doesn't affect my question, but here it is:

It seems that all the discs I have that say "Record manufactured in Japan..." do not state "Printed in U.S.A."

Whereas, the discs I have that say "Disc manufactured in Japan..." do state "Printed in U.S.A."

Just thought I'd mention it.

9. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Would Paul Simon's "Greatest Hits, Etc." (CK 35032) fit this description? Although my copy is a DADC USA pressings, there are CBS/Sony Japan for USA pressings out there.
    My DADC copy has "Printed In USA" inserts and no mention of "Record/Disc Manufactured In Japan".

10. KeithH

Yes, that one fits. The Japanese CBS/Sony and U.S. DADC pressings have identical inserts.

11. SecondHandNews

The List so far:

Santana - Greatest Hits
    Billy Joel - Piano Man
    Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
    Paul Simon - Greatest Hits

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.
    [some]

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Just a quick look in my collection gives me Chicago CTA and Chicago 2. But I could look for more.

13. SecondHandNews

Are these two discs actually pressed in Japan by CBS/Sony or are they pressed in Japan by Denon or JVC possibly? Thanks.:wave:

14. KeithH

But those Chicago titles don't exist as Japanese CBS/Sony pressings.

Let's review the purpose of this thread one more time: Compile a list of U.S. CBS/Sony issues (CBS, Columbia, Epic, etc.) that exist as Japanese CBS/Sony pressings but do not state "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or "Record manufactured in Japan..." on the inserts.

The point is that if the inserts state "Disc manufactured in Japan..." or "Record manufactured in Japan...", then you have an obvious tip to look for a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. However, if the inserts reference CBS Records in New York, N.Y., then you don't. A list of titles that exist as Japanese CBS/Sony pressings while having inserts referencing CBS Records in New York, N.Y. would be useful.

The majority of titles referencing CBS Records in New York, N.Y. do not exist as a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. The list of those that do, again, would be worth having for the collectors.

15. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Some people seem to be confused by the term "CBS/Sony." It has been used here in this thread to mean the CBS/Sony label, and it has been used the mean the CBS/Sony pressing plant in Japan. Two completely different things! To try and make things clearer (I hope!), as Rob already pointed out, the CBS/Sony CD pressing plant in Tokyo was a joint venture between Sony, and CBS Records, which at that time were two completely different companies. Only later did Sony purchase CBS Records. It was one of the first two CD pressing plants in the world. At that time in the early 1980's, CBS/Sony was only a label in Japan, and I'm not really sure how that worked (Rob? :help: I think Sony owned a piece of CBS). In the United States, it was called Columbia Records, and in most of the rest of the world, it was known as CBS. Plus affiliated labels such as Epic, Portrait, Nemporer and others.

I think some people here aren't aware of the fact that the OP is looking for titles that had pressings from the CBS/Sony plant, and not any other plant, such as JVC or Nippon Columbia/DENON. And probably many don't know how to tell them apart. This may be fairly easy for those of us who hang out in the first pressings thread, but will be completely Greek to those who don't. Maybe somebody should post some pictures of what we are looking for here.

16. KeithH

Here is a typical Japanese CBS/Sony pressing for the U.S. market. It may be difficult to see, but it has "MANUFACTURED IN JAPAN" printed along the perimeter.

The disc also has "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in the clear plastic ring. CSR stands for CBS/Sony Records. The matrix code on this disc is "DIDP-20080 11".

[​IMG]

17. therockman

I do not know for sure about that, but I am the original owner; I bought these brand new sealed about 25 years ago. The back and inserts only mention Manufactured by Columbia...15 W. 52 St., New York, NY. The discs themselfs (all 4) state Made In Japan.

18. therockman

That is similar to my Chicago discs, except all 4 of my Chicago discs have the weird upside triangle symbol-thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  19. therockman

Oh yeah, and a P.S to the above. These are not for sale, AT ALL. I can scan the discs and inserts if anyone is interested, but please do not PM me and make any offers for these pristine discs.

20. Kym

Kym Former Resident

You can add this title to the list:

Willie NelsonCity Of New Orleans
    CK 39145

And yes, it's a CSR x3 without any notation of Japan on the tray card.

21. KeithH

All U.S. CBS issues have a similar design (plain black text with no color coating). The "triangle-in-circle" symbol is for the U.S. DADC pressing plant. However, Japanese Denon and JVC pressings of U.S. CBS issues also have the triangle-in-circle symbol.

Your Chicago discs were pressed by Denon. I have them as well. (My copies aren't for sale either. :D)

22. KeithH

Thanks, Kym.

Another one to add to the list is Heart Little Queen (Portrait, catalog number RK 34799). The Japanese CBS/Sony plant pressing is very, very rare in my experience, but it exists. The inserts make no reference to Japan.

23. Ralph is correct - most of the major labels had joint ventures with Japanese companies that made electronics (CBS & Sony, EMI &Toshiba, BMG/RCA & Victor-JVC, MCA & Victor-JVC, PolyGram & Philips & Matsushita/Panasonic & Victor-JVC) due to market access issues of foreign companies in Japan. So to sell records in Japan, one needed a local partner.

At the same time these same electronics companies were introducing CD players in Japan, they were also developing CD pressing technology and were assigned to record company joint ventures in Japan and were also responsible for making CDs for export and contract. After Sony acquired CBS in 1988, the Japan plant and the DADC plant in USA became a new division, Sony DADC. CBS/Sony eventually became known as Sony DADC Japan or Sony Disc Mfg Japan, and all of the CD plants Sony owns around the world are part DADC.

24. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I know it's not exactly on topic, but I wanted to share a few CDs that have "Now Made In The USA" artwork and the same titles without the "Now Made IN The USA". In reality, there are zillions of these, here's but a few:

Attached Files:

25. SecondHandNews

The List so far:

Santana - Greatest Hits
    Billy Joel - Piano Man
    Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
    Paul Simon - Greatest Hits
    Willie Nelson – City Of New Orleans
    Heart - Little Queen

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.
    [some]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.