Ex-Carole King bassist Charles Larkey: what happened to him?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

First in the Myddle Class, then (with CK) in The City, finally with CK as a solo artist, during which time he married her.

They divorced in the mid-seventies and, after that, the trail goes cold. Anyone know what happened to him?

His divorce settlement and Tapestry royalties (if he wasn't on a straight session fee) should have set him up for life. Unless something went horribly wrong.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't have access to the book Girls Like Us at the moment but it mentions that he went into a non-music line of work.

Intriguingly, he played on CK's early 80's album One to One a few years after they split.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

BTW, he and Danny Kortchmar were in the Fugs for a while before the City. Just happened to be listening to their It Crawled Into My Hand - Honest album a couple days ago.

souldeep69 likes this.
  4. Siegmund

Yes, I was aware of his Fugs connection. I noticed he was backing Carole on her BBC In Concert programme, which was repeated on Friday.

5. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Don't forget the group he had with Danny Kortchmar, Jo Mama. Two albums on Atlantic.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found the sentence in question: "Charlie left music briefly to try his hand at acting, then to work for an aerobatic airplane dealer - and, in short order, as an aerobatic pilot and flight instructor."

7. Siegmund

Aha! Thanks for that.:) Will do more chasing up.

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

They may still be friendly.They had a couple kids together.I also know that she's still very close with Gerry Goffin...

9. Siegmund

That's good to know. Carole always seemed like a good sort. Her wikipedia entry suggests that she lost contact with Goffin, due to his 'personal problems' (read: addictions), so I'm glad to hear this contradicted.:)

10. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Resurrecting an old thread.
    I found this searching for info on the Myddle Class, after finding out Charley was from my hometown. His dad owned a chain of local men's clothes stores, my mom used to take me and my brother to, in the late 60s/early 70s.
    Have you tried getting a copy of the book 'A Song For You' written by Kathy West, the girlfriend of late Myddle Class guitarist, Rick Philp?

Kathy West likes this.
  11. Kathy West

Kathy West New Member

12. Kathy West

Kathy West New Member

.... find the. complete history you never knew about the rise and demise of the mid-60's garage-band, the Myddle Class. As a close friend to Carole King and long-time girlfriend of Rick Philp, before his death, you can learn the truthful story in my book ... A Song For You - The Quest of The Myddle Class.... "told by the eyes inside a circle of conflicted young singer-songwriters and musicians revealing what came before the fame of prominent music industry icons in the early 70's" Find it on e-Bay, Amazon.com. or email me ([email protected]). I'll send you a personalized, signed copy and you can "Enjoy Going Back" See reveiws on Amazon.com and Garagehangover and 60's Garage Bands (Nuggets) Web-sites.
    PS... Charlie Larkey is alive and well, living in Austin, TX and remains friendly as a co-parent with Carole.

somnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.