CBS/Sony Japan for U.S. pressing CDs not stating ‘Disc/Record manufactured in Japan’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SecondHandNews, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Found three more in my collection:

Ozzy Osbourne – Diary Of A Madman
    ZK 37492

Barbra Streisand – Emotion
    CK 39480

Original Cast – My Fair Lady
    CK 2015

2. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, Kym!:wave:

Everyone, make sure to also add your catalogue numbers, thanks!

The List so far:

CK 2015-----Original Cast – My Fair Lady
    CK 31903----Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
    CK 32544----Billy Joel - Piano Man
    CK 33050----Santana - Greatest Hits
    RK 34799----Heart - Little Queen
    CK 35032----Paul Simon - Greatest Hits
    ZK 37492----Ozzy Osbourne – Diary Of A Madman
    CK 38653----Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.
    [some]
    CK 39145----Willie Nelson – City Of New Orleans
    CK 39480----Barbra Streisand – Emotion

3. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

CK 39478 Herbie Hancock--------Sound System

CK 39530 Wynton Marsalis-------Hot House Flowers

CK 39613 Paul McCartney--------Give My Regards To Broad Street

4. SecondHandNews

Thanks, steeler1979!:righton:

The List so far:

CK 2015-----Original Cast – My Fair Lady
    CK 31903----Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
    CK 32544----Billy Joel - Piano Man
    CK 33050----Santana - Greatest Hits
    RK 34799----Heart - Little Queen
    CK 35032----Paul Simon - Greatest Hits, Etc.
    ZK 37492----Ozzy Osbourne – Diary Of A Madman
    CK 38653----Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.
    [some]
    CK 39145----Willie Nelson – City Of New Orleans
    CK 39478----Herbie Hancock - Sound-System
    CK 39480----Barbra Streisand – Emotion
    CK 39530----Wynton Marsalis - Hot House Flowers
    CK 39613----Paul McCartney - Give My Regards To Broad Street

5. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits fell into this category. Just speculation.

6. SecondHandNews

Please don't take offense, but what are you basing this off of?

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No. There is no Japanese CBS/Sony pressing of that album. There is a Japanese Denon pressing, but we are only considering the CBS/Sony pressings.

8. KeithH

Another one:

Bob Dylan Real Live, Columbia catalog number CK 39944

9. KeithH

As a follow-up, the earliest U.S. issue of Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits is a U.S. DADC pressing with no barcode on the back insert. It is very hard to find in my expereince (I'm still looking). The Japanese Denon pressing came later and is found with the barcode on the back insert.

On a related note, I am surprised that there is no Japan-for-U.S. CBS/Sony pressing of Bridge Over Troubled Water. It was an early release in Japan under catalog number 35DP 14, so I would have expected a Japan-for-U.S. CBS/Sony pressing with "35DP-14" in the matrix code. There is no such disc. There is a Japan-for-Europe CBS/Sony pressing with "35DP-14" in the matrix code. My guess is that this disc was imported to the U.S. before U.S. DADC pressings started hitting the shelves.

10. Both CDs were very popular when first released among my friends and they were all DADCs as the plant was just opened. I have never seen CSR discs of either for the US market.

11. houston

houston Forum Resident

after figuring out what the hell this thread was asking, it's turned out to be cool :cool: just sifted through my possible inclusions, and came up with Willie Nelson greatest hits (and some that will be)....

12. KeithH

I have come across a Bridge Over Troubled Water CD on occasion in a smooth-edge jewel case that is an early U.S. DADC pressing. It has "DIDP 50014" in the matrix code. I'm still surprised there is no Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. It's one of those pecularities like there being no Japanese issue of Bob Dylan Greatest Hits with catalog number 35DP 99.

On a related note, I don't get why there is no Japanese CBS/Sony pressing of Boston Boston. The DIDP number is 20006, which is an early number. There are Japanese CBS/Sony pressings of Heart Little Queen, DIDP 20007, and Dan Fogelberg Greatest Hits, DIDP 20008.

13. KeithH

I am not aware of a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing of a Willie Nelson compilation.

14. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Neither am I. I have only seen JVC pressings of Greatest Hits (and some that will be).

15. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

That is a mystery!

16. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

As I said, it was just speculation -- based on its obvious popularity (I see many copies in the used bins), and the fact that there is no US insert that says "made in Japan". Seems like they would have been making these for the US market early on... but apparently not.

17. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Make that 3 of us. Is it possible that there were Denon pressed Boston s/t CDs released simultaneously with the CBS/Sony CDs?

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

But there is a Japanese CBS/Sony made pressing of Willie Nelson's Stardust. In USA Columbia label and packaging. Very rare bird though.

19. houston

houston Forum Resident

I would post a scan of the Wilie Nelson greatest hits, if I was capable of doing so...it has the "made in Japan" at the bottom of the disc, and the back insert references New York, with no mention of Japan...my Willie Nelson "always on my mind", however, while saying made in Japan at the bottom of the disc, DOES reference Japan on the back insert...so I'm on the right page, no?

20. SecondHandNews

houston,

It is also important to understand that we are strictly talking about the discs that were actually pressed by CBS/Sony. There are 3 different ways to identify these:

1) Manufactured by CBS/Sony Records Inc. inscribed in the plastic hub

2) CSR Compact Disc repeating three times inscribed in the plastic hub

3) nothing inscribed in the plastic hub, but the matrix is in the style of CBS/Sony and early DADC pressings...AND...the disc will state that it was pressed in Japan

Does that clarify things for you?:wave:

21. KeithH

Actually, the inserts for Stardust do state "Records manufactured in Japan..."

22. KeithH

If I ever find out that such a disc exists, I may have to sell the house to get the dough to buy it. It is my favorite album. :D

I have considered the possibility that CBS/Sony farmed Boston out to Denon at a time when they could have pressed it themselves for the U.S. market. ffracer, a noted CD historian, claimed recently that the earliest U.S. DADC pressings pre-date the Japanese Denon pressing. With all due respect to him, I wonder if that is correct. The Japanese Denon pressing has a unique mastering, which makes me think it is the first mastering of the U.S. market as opposed to a unique mastering thrown out there in the middle. Additionally, while not being definitive in any way, I have come across the Japanese Denon pressing in a smooth-edge jewel case on a few occasions. I have never come across a U.S. DADC pressing in a smooth-edge jewel case.

sa5150 likes this.
  23. houston

houston Forum Resident

it does...so I just looked at the disc again, the first 2 you mention are not what I have, but #3 appears to be met...if anyone cares for more clarification, I'll try to deliver

24. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Isn't it funny how some of the early CDs state "Record manufactured in Japan..." and "Disc manufactured in Japan..."? I've never referred to a CD as a "record"...

25. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Agreed. A record (to me) is a slab of vinyl. A Compact Disc is a CD and a Cassette Tape is a Cassette Tape or simply a Tape. Never would I call a CD or Tape a Record.

<edit>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.