CBS/Sony Japan for U.S. pressing CDs not stating ‘Disc/Record manufactured in Japan’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SecondHandNews, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident Thread Starter

bump. see my last couple posts, thanks!:)

2. dunhillrecords

dunhillrecords Member

EK 34240 Charlie Rich - Greatest Hits

[​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This one doesn't fit. It's a JVC pressing, and we're only considering CBS/Sony pressings.

Nice disc, though. :)

4. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Sorry to bump an old thread - Boston - S/T with no mention of where it was made on the rear.

5. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

My Boston CD is "Made in Japan" around the bottom perimiter, but nothing in the center hub at all. No mention of DIDP 20006 anywhere. Rear insert just mentions CBS but no mention of country of manufacture on rear insert. Rear insert says "Printed in USA."

So, who manufactured this disc if not CBS/Sony? Must be Denon in Japan.

6. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

This is the same as mine, no DIDP, but there's "EK 34188 ------------- 2B1 6Y ---------- 73" (no dashes, the forum removes the large gaps in my post) in the center hub in a dot matrix style. I believe that is Denon, because Sanyo discs usually have a defined center hub with a single black ring, whereas on this, the bright silver straight borders on the darker silver center hub.

8. mjmatrixfreak

mjmatrixfreak Forum Resident

do the discs itself have the same matrix codes?

9. KeithH

Not exactly the same. For example, a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing issued with inserts lacking the "Now Made In The U.S.A." stamp and a U.S. DADC pressing issued with inserts having the "Now Made In The U.S.A." stamp were made from different glass masters. The two discs may have the same DIDP (or DIDC) number in the matrix code, but other characters will differ. For some titles, the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing has the original Japanese catalog number in the matrix (e.g., 35DP or 38DC), while the U.S. DADC pressing has the DIDP or DIDC number in the matrix code.

steeler1979 likes this.
  10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Richard Clayderman - Amour - 3xCSR

I collect 3xCSR's and Manufactured by CBS/SONY CD's but this one for me was embarrassing to bring to the store's counter. I tried my best to hide it under an Iron Maiden disc in my purchase pile but to no avail.

Downsampled likes this.
  11. KeithH

Is there a Japanese CBS/Sony pressing for the U.S. release of Paul Young No Parlez? The catalog number is CK 38976, and the DIDP number is 20016. The inserts do not reference CBS/Sony in Japan.

12. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Ok after going through my stuff here's what I have that hasn't previously been mentioned:

Bob James "All Around Towm Live"
    CGK 36786, DIDP-20136, Japan 3x CSR, inserts are USA

Julio Iglesias "1100 Bel Air Place", CK 39157, DIDP 20118, Japan 3X CSR, inserts made in USA

Merle Haggard "His Epic Hits", EK 39545, DIDP 20150, Japan 3X CSR, no writing at all and no mention of manufacturer on back insert, jacket is printed in USA

All titles mentioned in this thread are very rare in my years of hunting. The only one mentioned that I don't own is Santana "Greatest Hits", although I have a JVC pressing which seems to be rare also.

Hope these additions help.

SecondHandNews likes this.
  13. steeler1979

I've never seen one. I do have a Japan for Europe version with a DIDP 10016, catalog CDCBS 25521, disc made in Japan, 3X CSR, inserts reference Japan, France and London.

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Very Cool, I always suspected that to exist. Curious to see if same mastering as the early DADC..any chance for EAC peaks?

At one point I found the JVC and Denon 1986/1987 overflows to be more rare than the 3xCSR and Manufactured by Sony CBS but in the last few years that has turned around. I've found double the amount of Target's compared to the overflows and the Sony Japan's combined. Now the RSO Polydor red Faces those are like Hen's teeth in my area

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  15. steeler1979

Yeah Rick I'll be glad to, it will be tomorrow when I'm back at work.

My experiences are similar to yours although I've found a decent number of red face discs, probably 15 or so.

16. KeithH

Thanks. I don't think there is a Japan-for-U.S. CBS/Sony pressing of No Parlez. One of those mysteries, similar to there being no Japan-for-U.S. CBS/Sony pressing of Boston, DIDP 20006.

steeler1979 likes this.
  17. steeler1979

Hey Rick, sorry for the delay. Here's the EAC for the 3x CSR version of ALL AROUND THE TOWN LIVE

1. 99.1

2. 78.9

3. 83.6

4. 99.1

5. 86.4

6. 70.5

7. 77.5

8. 74.9

ricks likes this.
  18. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Came upon this thread whilst doing some separate research. I happened to notice that several discs on this list were listed as new releases in the same Nov., 1984 issue of Billboard. Other CBS non-classical discs on that release date were Bob James "Touchdown" and "Rameau", Quiet Riot "Condition Critical" and Barbra Streisand "Classical Barbra"

19. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Does this one fit the criteria?

Tangerine Dream – EXIT
    MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC
    DIDZ - 10089

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Mbe likes this.
  21. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

22. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Too late to edit the above, 3 matrix variants (so far);

DIDZ-10089 11
    DIDZ-10089 21
    DIDZ-10089 21A2

Don’t panic! I shall leave the thread to its original purpose.

23. tdvanb

tdvanb Forum Resident

I have 3 Billy Joels made in Japan. The Stranger and 52nd Street have manufactured in Japan on liner notes and made in Japan on the disc- The Bridge has made in Japan on the disc.

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Bridge is not a CBS/SONY Japan pressing. It's either a JVC or Denon overflow, most likely the former.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.