CNN Documentary: Losing Lennon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Don't forget! This weekend on both Saturday and Sunday at 8 PM EST on CNN. They are airing a new documentary on his last days. There are supposedly new interviews and photos.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thanks for the tip. As sad as this occasion is, it's good to remember the guy. God, who can believe it's been 30 years...

I recorded every major newscast that day (and a lot of local coverage), but I still haven't had the heart to replay the tapes.

3. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wonder if the Howard Cosell call will be included & the back story of how they (ABC) got the news first.

4. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

Dont get too excited, this documentary features the killer and his wife etc very heavily.

It focuses more on him than remembering John.

There are more worthwhile shows out there to remember John by, not bring more unwanted attention to that SOB.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

An ABC staffer was at Roosevelt Hospital being treated for a minor injury when Lennon was brought in. The Fox doc does tell this story.

Evan

6. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Me either.

I don't think I'm ready to go through all that again. I think I'll skip these.

7. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I have to agree with you...:shake:
    The pain that never goes away.......

8. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I'm skipping it based on a review that says it focuses on the killer. Maybe I'll find out elsewhere about whatever other insights are to be had from those who were there at the time. I saw a few clips on CNN from the police officers and doctors.

9. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Overall, a blatent way to get that SOB's name back in the news. His 15 minutes of fame died a LONG time ago. Not much to merit watching outside of the officers at the scene and Julian's interview. Same old BS crap.

10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Just watched the show. That was hard to watch the timeline.

11. RockWizard

Another new half hour special "John Lennon Living In America" just came on CNN. According to the channel guide, it will repeat Sunday Night 9:30 PM CST.

12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I'm obviously a huge Julian fan, but the special sucked! I hope we are able to get a nicer interview from him later...!!!

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I thought the special was very well-done. And honestly, the documentary's called Losing Lennon: Countdown to Murder. You can't tell the story of Lennon's murder without telling the story of Chapman, John Lennon's murderer.

What do you want? "Just as John and Yoko were about to enter the Dakota, the jerk of all jerks acted like an SOB, thus delaying the Beatles on CD until 1987. The end."

14. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

Glad I read this thread. I won't be watching. That scumbag is not welcome in my living room.

15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I wasn't even five months old on December 8, so I obviously don't remember it. I like looking up news coverage from the night on YouTube. It's fascinating. I recently watched the Nightline episode from that night, in which Ted Koppel interviewed Geraldo Rivera.

16. RDK

RDK Active Member

Exactly. Obviously not for those around here with overly delicate sensibilities. I lost my mom earlier this year, which puts something like this in better perspective. I thought it was a bit superficial (and really only about 40-45 minutes long), but otherwise good. Be sure to catch the half-hour "Lennon in NYC" that precedes it.

17. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I don't understand why a separate half hour special was made. 'John Lennon: Living In America' elements could have easily been edited into 'Losing Lennon: Countdown to Murder' - given that that special was pretty short due to all of the commercials.

I had my DVD recorder going and got both programs. I'll keep 'em just for the interviews with Julian. I don't remember if Julian was in the American Masters 'LennoNYC' documentary - if he wasn't, then this supplements that doc somewhat.

18. RockWizard

His name hasn't left my lips since he murdered John. He doesn't deserve recognition of ANY kind. Outside of coward, I just refer to him as that @#$#$# (fill in with your choice word or words).

19. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I was on the air when it happened and I probably said the name when he was arrested. I have not said it aloud since. Not once.

20. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I'll said it then. His name is VOLDEMORT!

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I've never understood that line of thinking. What Chapman did was terrible, but refusing to mention his name almost gives him more "power." It also deifies Lennon.

Do you refuse to mention the name of Lee Harvey Oswald? How about John Wayne Gacy or Jeffrey Dahmer? Phil Spector? Have their names left your lips? Were their crimes any less terrible than that of Chapman?

The answer, of course, is no.

22. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

I understand your point, but the difference with Lennon's killer was his motive.

Oswald, by most accounts, was politically motivated. Gacy and Dahmer were sexual predators, and Spector, for years, was known to shove guns in the face of everybody who crossed his path.

Lennon's killer, by his own admission, appears to have acted out of some twisted desire to gain his own little slice of infamy and immortality. So when people refuse to even speak his name it's not because his crimes were more heinous than, say, Gacy or Oswald. It's because they want to deny him what he sought: recognition.

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Exactly. In the early 1980's, actor Victor Spinetti who co-starred with the Beatles in 'A Hard Day's Night', 'Help!' and 'Magical Mystery Tour', was a guest at Beatlefest in New York. He had a lot of great Beatles stories and the audience loved him. Then he got to talking about John's death and he got very emotional and angry about the jerk of all jerks (as Paul McCartney refers to him), and also pointed out that the jerk did it for some sort of twisted fame. Spinetti said the best way to punish him is to refuse to give him the recognition he wants. Just never mention his name and let him remain the nonentity that he is. And Beatles and Lennon fans on the whole have been following this unwritten rule ever since. The same goes for the maniac who stabbed George Harrison in his home. Harrison survived the attack, but the shock to his nervous system may have caused the return of the cancer that eventually killed Harrison over a year later.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: It really is the same sort of thing. A lot of people are giving Mark David Chapman a lot more mystique then he deserves.

25. RockWizard

Thanks Clark. Exactly why I don't say his name anymore. What was even more shocking was a list that recently came out of the people he wanted to "hit". Soulless slimy bastard. Don't know how he lives with himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.