Artists Who Play Up Their Accents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

So, for those of you who are Flogging Molly fans, Dave King is their lead singer.

He was also the lead singer of Fastway back in the 80s.

Anyway, I had never heard his Fastway stuff before yesterday and his singing voice is pretty different. It definitely does not have the Irish sound/accent that his Flogging Molly material has.

So I'm wondering if he

a) had the accent, then toned it down for Fastway, then went full out on it for Flogging Molly or

b) never had a strong Irish accent in the first place and since he was doing Flogging Molly, decided to exaggerate or go all out with it.

Any other artists that greatly exaggerate or play up their accents?

I know Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day has been criticized for his fake British accent he employs, especially around this forum.

2. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

4. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

What accent was Sting putting on with Police ("Walking On The Moon")?

5. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits - no doubt.

I love the Madonna vote - which one since she has so many?;)

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tina Turner interviews during solo career

Springsteen fan forums call it "twang" that started sometime around Tunnel.

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Australian pop singer "Missy Higgins," her over exaggerated pronunciations drive me up the wall, almost like listening to our PM if she recorded an album!

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Robert Pollard of Guided By Voices putting on his best English accent.....

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Jamaican...it's tongue in cheek. The song has a definite reggae feel in terms of the drumming.

10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Oh you are a mucky kid
    Dirty as a saucepan lid...

Cilla

11. Not to specifically accuse David Bowie of being qualified for this thread -- but while we're on the general subject of British accents in pop music...

Didn't I read somewhere in some interview where Bowie said he discovered (or "decided") he could project more of an accent (more of his natural accent as I thought he was saying, though perhaps it might be more forced) when he heard early Syd-era Pink Floyd??

He mentioned a specific tune too, I seem to remember "Arnold Layne" perhaps.

Some searching on-line reveals that Bowie said this when Syd passed away...

Is this the only time Bowie has brought up Syd in terms of mentioning his accent?

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The lead singer of The Decemberists sings with an English/Cockney accent, but he's apparently from Portland, OR. I love the group however, their records and songwriting are really good.

13. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

What's a British accent? Welsh? N.Irish? Scottish? Geordie? Scouse? Brummie? Cockney?

14. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

:righton:

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Trashcan Sinatras.

16. houston

houston Forum Resident

Rolf Harris....and for that matter, Phil Harris

17. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

You forgot Mancunian of course, but most of us yanks can't tell one British Isle accent from another.

18. burnthatcandle

burnthatcandle Forum Resident

Bands from Manchester, England when they're touring the US - Liam Gallagher and Shaun Ryder especially.

19. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I think he did use it throughout his Police career. Right up to "Synchronicaty"

20. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Early Dylan,
    The Beastie Boys
    Paul Simonon

Elvis Costello freaked people out in the mid 80s when he started singing in an affected English accent (the fact that he actually is English not withstanding.)

21. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I think David Bowie's point was that at that time in the sixties (and for some time before that) British pop/rock stars did not sing in their native accents, but rather adopted American accents.

I think most of us are aware that there is a wide variety of regional accents in Britain.

Have another listen to The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Animals etc from that era. Even Ray Davies from the Kinks didn't start out his career with his real accent (when singing). For that matter, Van Morrison, who is from Belfast, does not sound the slightest bit N. Irish when he sings. In those days everybody was either emulating American pop, rock'n'roll, or blues singing - complete with accents.

Of course when The Beatles spoke in interviews in America they often tended to exaggerate their Scouse accents!

22. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Linda McCartney?
    :hide:

23. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I'm italian so I might be wrong but...I've always thought that Springsteen has changed his accent after Born In The USA. Listening to the bootlegs, and I mean the spoken parts like the Santa Claus is coming intro or Growin' up, I hear a guy who sounds like someone from the 'Sopranos' or a Scorsese flick. Obviously I adore it.

24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Tom Petty thought he was Jamaican during the first rcord.

2trackmind likes this.
  25. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.