Lost Footage From Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey' found!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz Thread Starter

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central...ost-footage-kubricks-2001-space-odyssey-23309

2. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

interesting stuff!

3. Wow. I wouldn't be surprised though if Kubrick had some kind of "nobody touches my work, ever" clause, given the control freak he was.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Cool. Maybe next they'll miraculously find all of the models that he is said to have destroyed.

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I want the pie fight sequence from Strangelove!

6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Related but off topic, what about the test footage of the mechanical boy in AI Artificial Inteliigence. Allegedly Mr. Kobrick was working on this for years.

Cheers, Michael

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I guess I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, but how does 14 minutes of lost
    footage from one of the greatest movies ever made wind up in a Kansas salt
    mine vault?

8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I was wondering the same thing.

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I thought this was old news and these clips were long known to exist.

I'm sure I saw the kids painting scene in a documentary a few years ago.

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Because the film studio likely has a contract with a company like Iron Mountain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Mountain_Incorporated

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Even if true, Wifey can overule that with one signature.

12. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

My favorite quote:

"Kubrick reportedly cut the footage from "2001" because he felt it created pacing issues."

Of all films for Kubrick to concern himself with pacing issues...

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

One person's "boring" is another's "carefully orchestrated masterpiece."

John K.

14. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Amen!

15. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I would love to see the footage :)

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, they're in the underground salt mines beneath Hutchinson, Kansas. That's where most of the big-studio negatives are stored.

I was sad to see that the studio can't work out the financial arrangements to at least allow a documentary on 2001 that would show pieces of the scenes. I'm wondering who is it that wants all the money... Kubrick's estate? MGM? Somebody else?

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Which is another company of the same ilk as Iron Mountain:

http://www.ironmountain.com/

which similarly has underground storage for film and audio assets. The point I was trying to make is that it should come as no surprise that this footage was found where it was, since studios send their assets out for storage.

18. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

19. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Warner Bros owns the rights to 2001. MGM sold off their share many years ago. Of course, I suppose that the situation for unreleased footage could be more complicated...

I was told, completely off the record mind you, by Trumbull that Warner Bros won't allow the documentary to be released because (in his opinion) they want to assemble a new Super Deluxe version of 2001. He also thinks that there is probably some other 2001 footage "out there". I've seen some of Trumbull's documentary - it's a pity it won't be released; although perhaps WB might see fit to include it as an extra on some future release of 2001.

20. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone define "pacing" in a movie context? Thanks! :wave:

21. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm no expert but pacing is all about maintaining viewer interest. If the pace is considered too slow, the viewer may get bored and cease to be entertained or engaged in the experience. Once that happens, the viewer becomes disconnected and the film fails in it's fundamental purpose.

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Here's my take on this, and I wish I had a really simple explanation.

When I've tried to watch 2001 on TV, I've been bored to tears, regardless of TV size. I've seen the movie 5 or 6 times on genuine Cinerama screens (as originally intended) in 70mm and once on a flat screen in 70mm, and have been utterly transfixed each time, especially on a curved screen. The bigger the better.

Matt

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

If Kubrick didnt want the scenes in then they are NOT essential and dont need to be edited back in.

Now if a studio cuts out scenes just to get an extra screening in a day then you know you'll need them back in so the film will actually make sense.

I remember watching the deleted scenes from Deep Blue Sea (yes not a great film) and the deleted scenes actually would have elevated the film from confused and trashy to slightly less confused and trashy.

24. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

So, the scenes have been there all along but Kubrick's contract is what prevents them from being seen? It doesn't surprise me. I'd like to see them, but, yeah, keep them out of the film. On another site, someone mentioned a prologue with talking heads on the subject of science. This belongs to a different set of cuts, made before the premiere. Also the "bush-baby" scene. Dunno if we'll see those.

Also, I want to see the Hospital epilogue from 'The Shining'!!!!

25. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Well said, I 100% agree with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.