Lost Footage From Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey' found!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I had the same experience, too. For years I saw 2001 on TV, VHS tape, LD and DVD. Then I had one chance in a lifetime to see 2001 in the year 2001. It was on a restored old theater, complete with pre-show music, and special lights that slowly went out one by one until the movie started. For the first time, I was not bored of the Dawn of Man sequence. My attention was held, and I think the placement of the intermission was also important, too. Hope I get the chance to do that again.

2. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

Apparently, the intermission is supposed to represent hoe the monolith is actually the cinema screen, or something.

Either way, I would love to see this film on a really big screen. By myself though... 2001 was never a film to watch with another person.

3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I sat and watched it with my Gf a few years ago.

She wasnt impressed.

4. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

Peter Hyams recreated the Odyssey for 2010, so it's fair to assume that he gave it a good go of finding the models before he started shooting the SFX.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, he should probably try to strike a deal that his documentary will be part of the Super Deluxe release, if it happens. Which WILL happend, because we all know studios will retool ANY movie to get a fresh release and more cash.

I'm a 2001 freak and would love to see this cut footage. Who knows if it shouldnt be added to the film. Sometimes you think pacing if off and eliminate stuff, but on another day you might think "actually that's not bad." So why not put it out there. Who wouldn'nt want to hear "cut" tracks from a longer Dark Side of the Moon, no matter how good the album is?

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is it unrealistic to think there's more 2001(or any kubrick) footage out there? Especially stuff that was never publically screened in any kind of preview/test screening.

7. They discovered (pardon the pun) that all the models were destroyed and couldn't even find the blue prints for The "Discovery" (which is what you're referring to) and they had to recreate it from pictures of the model and the film as well as Doug Trumbull's memory (and others who worked on it). They did a remarkable job of recreating it.

Sometimes things do survive for example Ridley Scott ordered that all of the models/spinner cars be destroyed after "Blade Runner" was finished but oneof the full size mock ups survived intact from the premiere (I don't believe it was actually used in the film however) where they had material related to the film on display. It's sitting in the "used car" lot at Universal in Florida IIRC.

I have a picture of it somewhere.

8. AWESOME!

I've seen stills from cut footage for years, but I was never sure if any of it was included in the 19 cut minutes. I've always wanted to see this original, pre-trimmed cut. The fact that the found footage is "pristine" gives me hope that maybe it will see the light of day someday . . .

This book (published in 1970) has stills from many cut scenes. I highly recommend it to every 2001 fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Kubricks-2001-Jerome-Agel/dp/0451071395

9. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

10. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I have a friend who works in the home video department at Warner who told me this is an untrue Internet rumor, and that no missing footage from "2001" has been found.

If you look at each separate news story, this is ALL coming from ONE user named "Aries 1B" on the Eagle Transporter bulletin board, in a post he made way back on September 12th, where he claims Douglas Trumbull made the statement about the lost footage being found during a talk he gave after a showing of 2001 in Toronto.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235659&postcount=4

So this Aries 1B appears to be the one and only source for this story that is spreading like wildfire online. Was he the only one at the showing? You'd think other people would have posted this info too, particularly since it happened three months ago.

Note there has been no statement from Warner, and no video or audio footage of Trumbull making this claim has surfaced.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well, on original release, which was exclusive to Cinerama theatres worldwide, the bare screen would have *never* been visible, as the curtains opened and closed while image was already being projected at the screen area, and I don't see red drapes as being very monolith-like! :)

Matt

12. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Thanks Veech.

13. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

I'd be fine with that as long as the original piece is left alone, like they should have a "Play film" and "Play film with bonus tracks" options. I'm sure there's a way to program that. I don't want my video store to only have "2001 Redux" on their shelves. ;)

Whether the cinema closes the curtains or not, Kubrick cut it with a black screen. There's also clues in the music used for the intermission, which is a similar (if not the same) score used for the stargate sequence. It's all just an interpretation anyway. Nothing to get fussed about.

14. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I will ask Trumbull. The last time I spoke to him he only suspected that the footage existed. That was a few months ago.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's pretty much what I think. My impression is that they might have to get permission from all of the surviving actors and/or their estates, and more money would have to be paid.

Doug Trumbull has been very quiet over the last few years. I really, really like his work, and I always thought it was a tragedy that he wasn't 10 times more successful than he was. He's been virtually retired from the movie business for almost 15 years, yet he's not even 70.

16. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'd say it was just about perfect. I have no interest in an extended version.

17. I have interest in an extended version because it would represent Kubrick's original vision of the film. He cut the 19 minutes after the premiere for subsequent showings. An extended version with the cut scenes would be the film as it was *originally* released.

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I think the footage alone might be interesting but IMO if Kubric cut it again after it opened it was him finishing his vision, not studio execs preasuring him to make it more commercial.

19. It would be interesting but I'll believe it when I see it. Kubrick had been saying for years what he cut he had destroyed now it is possible he was just saying that to avoid having to alter it for future showings and to stick with his final version (which he was quite happy with).

I don't think that the black and white footage of the scientist discussing ET's will be all that interesting but the extension of a couple of scenes might be of interest but, again, it won't be definitive because I feel we got the definitive version with the one he created and that has been showing for years on and off...

20. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

It's like "Metropolis" all over again!

21. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Yeah, Kubrick never really let his films go. Truth is, he fought viciously for them. Had he had any interest in cut material, he would have reinstalled it personally.

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I seriously doubt Kubrick's estate would allow this footage to be reinstated. They may well permit it as DVD/blu-ray deleted scenes, but it's highly unlikely there'll be an extended edition of the film itself given their (wonderful) track record in preserving Kubrick's artistic intent.

23. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

He's working with Terrence Malick these days:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/os...rumbull-to-work-on-terrence-malick-movie.html

Other than that, his company has pioneered some cool FX stuff since Blade Runner.

He was also trying to promote a new high frame-rate film format some years ago, but that didn't work out.

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

When I first read about the cut footage years ago (THE MAKING OF KUBRICK'S 2001), it had been a few years since I'd first seen the movie.

Somehow, in the back of my mind, I could picture the lost footage as if I'd seen it. It's unlikely though, since I didn't see the film until weeks into its Cinerama run in Philadelphia.

I like the film enough that I'd buy yet another copy with the additional footage integrated, or even as extras on a DVD.

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.