Mad Magazine. Who Loved It As A Kid? (Or An Adult)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Henry the Horse, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I used to love it~! My first issue was the "Star Wars" parody in 1977, when I was 7 years old....thereafter I bought each new issue and tried to find as many of the small paperback books I could find. At a book fair at school I purchased "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions", which I thought was hysterical. I also loved the "Super Specials" with the reprints, flexi-discs, etc.

I read and re-read those paperbacks so many times that I have much of them memorized...I still can recall all the words to "This Road Is Under Construction" (song to the tune of "Eve of Destruction") 30 years later.

I read through a copy at a newstand a year or so ago and I didn't recognize it at all. ADS??! I guess it hasn't been the same since Gaines passed....he was a hell of a guy, one of my small handful of "comics" idols.

Loved
    Don Martin and Al Jaffee...Dave Berg I thought was okay...and Paul Coker, who did a lot of work for MAD, did a lot of design work for Rankin/Bass...if you know his art style you can see it all over some of their holiday specials.

2. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

3. Ramon

Ramon New Member

I think I learned how to read by perusing my brother's Mad Magazines when I was 5 or 6.... Used to look forward to their satires of current movies and TV (Star Dreck, etc.). Sometimes they were better than the movies themselves! The paperback reissues of the early MAD comics were pure genius especially the work of Will Elder who drew those parodies of ARCHIE (Starchie) and Howdy Doody - loved the jokes and visual puns he would place in the background - it led the way to kind of humor used in the Airplane and Naked Gun movies!

4. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

potrzebie

5. JM Jones

JM Jones Forum Resident

My older brother used to hand me down his issues of Mad back in the early 70's. I absolutely loved Mad.

Ernie Kovacs used to contribute to Mad back in the 50's ......

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Used to get it every issue in the 70s/80s.
    Haven't seen an issue on the newsstands in ages.
    Didn't even know it was still being published.
    Guess where some of my 'warped' sense of humor came from?
    Loved "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" (which I still use). :laugh:

Darryl

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I sometimes bought Mad Magazine as a kid in the early 80's, but more often bought Cracked Magazine. I thought Cracked was better than Mad.

8. Can't agree with that, but certainly the current Cracked.com site is a lot funnier (and informative!) than the current version of MAD!

People have been mentioning National Lampoon: I was first exposed to this when I was about 10, when an aunt bought me a copy of NL's 10th-anniversary anthology in the belief that it was a comedy mag similar to MAD. Which it was not. Hoo boy, was it not. I think that one book shaped my comedy perspective than all those hundreds of issues of MAD I bought! It was a bit pricey for me as a kid though and by the time I could afford it regularly, it was going downhill and my interests were changing.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

An older cousin first turned me on to Mad magazine when I was 9 or 10, so this would be 1963-1964. Some of the humor was over my head, but one of the issues he gave my (one year younger) brother and I had "Mad's Halloween Carols", the title alone I found outrageously genius. Singing to the tune of "Deck The Halls" such lyrics as "trip the old man with a wire, ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha" kept us up hours after having gone to bed.

10. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I used to have a few special issues, an all movie parody double issue from the late 80's, a collection of assorted music based stuff from various issues and an all color parody of Pop Up Video that used screen caps from music videos and the graphics from Pop Up Video but the captions made fun of the artists and videos. I wish I still had all those.

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Used to love it but haven't read it in years....

Just kept getting worse and worse and I finally gave up...

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Absolutely Mad is an inexpensive way to read through the archive.

Curiously, and though it may sound like heresy to a MAD fanatic, Cracked is still around:

http://www.cracked.com/

13. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Must have made you Mad!

Mean humor is easy. The easiest, with "gross out" humor being generally easy as well. It's the specialized humor that's hard and takes particular talents.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I used to love reading MAD because it was very smart humor. It sounds like it's gone downhill since I stopped reading about 15 years ago.

15. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I bought Mad from 77-80 and saved every copy I ever bought. Spy vs. Spy was my favorite.

16. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, I used to purchase nearly every Mad Magazine and paperback book. I didn't really find "Spy vs. Spy" too funny, but most everything else seemed quite funny at the time. I haven't revisited it in years though, and have no idea what happened to the collection. :)

17. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Suitable for wrapping fish.

18. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member Thread Starter

:laugh:

19. Henry the Horse

........Or lining birdcages!

20. Henry the Horse

It's been dumbed down to the lowest possible denominator, really an insult to even the dimmist of wits. Truly pathetic and unfunny.

The original really wasn't aimed at kids imo, and I remember having to "grow into" some of the humor as I collected it over the years. Of course there were hilarious things that people of all ages could appreciate as well.

There was an article in the early '70s called "Get It Out Of Your System Land" that was priceless.
    The artwork depicted a black panther and a KKK guy walking out of the "park" with their arms over each others shoulders, laughing.

21. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

22. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Betcha I know what store you're talkin' 'bout,Chippers!!!

23. Drawer L

24. Drawer L

That's about when I stopped buying it.But before that,I bought every issue (and still have the majorty of 'em) from '79-'95.And a whole bunch of 60s & 70s issues I've scored over the years.It went rapidly downhill after Bill Gaines passed....
    Now-every once in awhile,I'll read it at the supermarket,and see how much WORSE it's gotten since I stopped buying.Ads? Color? No thanks.PLUS--IT'S NOT FUNNY!!!--AND,as far as I know,besides Dick DeBartello(his book-"Good Days & MAD"-is a must!!)-everybody's gone(most of 'em dead...:shake:)

25. Exactly. It was never difficult to detect the political leanings of MAD's writers back in the day, but they were always ready to call any emperor on his nudity, regardless of who he was. Now, they seem more bitterly party-political, which really undercuts the humour...such as it is these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.