Jazz Guitar Albums For A Newbie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oneslip17, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Everyone.

Over the last few weeks, I have completely fallen in love with jazz guitar music. Especially when there is some tight drumming, Fender Rhodes, and/or Hammond B3 involved. I have not delved into much Jazz in my life (im only 22, jazz isnt exactly what all my friends listen to :laugh: ), so I am hoping you all can recommend me some great jazz guitar music between the years of 1950-1975. Thanks!

2. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

The first jazz guitar album I ever bought was The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell and Wes Montgomery are names to look for. There are many others as well.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Any Grant Green or Kenny Burrell albums on Blue Note is a good place to start.

Burrell's Midnight Blue is regarded as one of the best Jazz albums.

5. ianfaith1

ianfaith1 Forum Resident

George Benson's early albums. Wes Montgomery. Grant Green. Kenny Burrell. Herb Ellis. Howard Roberts. Tal Farlow. Barney Kessel. Joe Pass.

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Ed Hamilton - Planet Jazz
    Wes Montgomery - Impressions (the Verve Jazz Sides)
    Danny Gatton - New York Stories

7. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

I concur with the above recommendations and add that if you like B-3 and guitar together, check out some Jimmy Smith albums. Most of his '50s/'60s dates were trios with guitar and drums, often with Kenny Burrell on guitar.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Kenny Burrell, "Midnight Blue", for starters, Grant Green, "Idle Moments" would be my choice tonight, but most of the Blue Notes are just as good, Wes Montgomery on Riverside, early George Benson, the Columbia LPs are nice Soul Jazz, don't forget to look up the LPs they did as sidemen, labels would often record sessions with identical musicians, but a different musician taking lead so lots of Big John Patton LPs have Grant Green on, etc., and I wouldn't argue with any of the other guitarists mentioned in this thread.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One that won't get too many mentions...Mark Whitfield-The Marksman.

10. Tone

Tone Senior Member

As others have mentioned, Kenny Burrell...... I think he's the most 'classic' player of all the jazz guitarist.

11. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

John McLaughlin - Extrapolation

An absolute classic...and with the bonus of John Surman on baritone sax

12. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Charlie Christian collections are essential.

14. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

22 eh. Well, you probably want some energetic guitar playing. Not something that will have you fall asleep.

Al di Meola

Start off with his first two releases:
    Land of the Midnight Sun & Elegant Gypsy

This later release is also excellent: Consequence Of Chaos (hybrid SACD 5.1 surround)

Oh! And your friends WILL listen to.

15. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

In addiiton to some of the above recommendations, I would suggest the following

Barney Kessel
    The Poll Winners

Gabor Szabo
    The sorcerer
    The spellbinder

Grant Green
    Complete quartets with Sonny Clark

Wes Montgomery
    Full House
    Smokin at the half note

Kenny Burrell
    Guitar Forms

16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Gotta have the John Abercrombie trio 'Timeless' with Jack DeJohnette and Jan Hammer on keyboards. ECM.

Jim Hall lead a group he called 'Grand Slam' with Joe Lovano on saxophones, no keyboards though. Live at the Regattabar Cambridge Massachusetts on Telarc.

The old standby is always John McLaughlin's 'Extrapolation' on Polydor with John Surman on sax. Similar instrumentation to Grand Slam and a complimentary recording done years before it.

Another vote for Wes Montgomery's 'Full House'.

17. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

If you want to check out some of the best hard bop guitar playing ever, check out Pat Martino - my first recommendation would be "Consciousness".

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Swinging Guitar Of Tal Farlow is pretty tasty. The absolute first album I would buy is Idle Moments by Grant Green.

19. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Joe Pass did some nice records both solo (Virtuoso) and with Oscar Peterson (The Trio)

20. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Excellent suggestions all. I'd add my +1 to the Grant Green/Sonny Clark ('It Ain't Necessarily So' with Art Blakey is extraordinary), Wes and Gabor Szabo.

For more of a free-jazz approach (if that interests you), I'd suggest James Blood Ulmer's Tales of Captain Black and Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages if you can track them down.

How's about an anthology to sample various styles and players?

Progressions: 100 Years Of Jazz Guitar [Box set]

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Someone mentioned George Benson's early albums. One I recently discovered and am really digging (to use the vernacular) is his "Beyond the Blue Horizon", him backed by a almost telepathic drums, bass and organ trio. Wonderful material like "So What" and his own reflective "Ode to A Kudu".

If you want to hear someone really shred, check out Tommy Bolin's tour de force on Billy Cobham's Spectrum, especially on "Quadrant 4". Your speakers and ears will never be the same.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Very highly recommended: Wes Montgomery is one of the all-time greats and live footage of him playing is hard to come by, until this DVD was released a few years ago.

Attached Files:

23. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

The above choices are all good ones. But my favorite jazz guitar album is "Seven, Come Eleven" with Jim Hall and Joe Pass. Accessable and superb. Good recording too.

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

And if you go for jazz/rock, be sure to listen to Cobham in John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, again with Jan Hammer on keyboards.

Also Larry Coryell's 'Spaces' on Vanguard with McLaughlin and Cobham, and his 'Barefoot Boy' on Flying Dutchman.

The ultimate in jazz/rock with organ and guitar, though, is Tony Williams Lifetime with McLaughlin and Larry Young. Turn It Over and the earlier and badly recorded Emergency. Williams made a comeback with Allan Holdsworth, with both albums combined on a single CD Lifetime: The Collection. Mellower than the trio, but good nonetheless.

25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Is the Danny Gatton actually a jazz album? I have 88 Elmira Street and love it but did not know he had any jazz albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.