John Coltrane vinyl reissues on Rhino 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

I just picked up a copy of "My Favorite Things" on Rhino mastered by Bernie Grundman and I must say I am impressed, not only with the quality of the vinyl pressing, but also the packaging. They actually use a cover "slick" instead of what one usually find on reissues. Much like the original pressings.

Does anyone have a list of the other records pressed in this series by Coltrane and other artists. I think there may be a Ray Charles, and a few others in this series. I wonder if Grundman did them all?

e.s. likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

really? no one has a comment on these?

3. Hmm, paper slicks on re-issues? And good qual vinyl. OK, I`ll bite. Can I ask what these are going for?

-s1m0n-

4. ccarty

ccarty Hyperactive!

I can't find any details on this particular title on the Rhino site. Any idea when they released it?

5. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Previous thread-
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=212728

As far as other titles (Atlantic jazz, mastered by BG), these are the ones that I know of-

Ray Charles- The Genius Of
    Ornette Coleman- The Shape Of Jazz To Come
    John Coltrane- My Favorite Things, Coltrane's Sound, Coltrane Jazz, Plays The Blues
    Milt Jackson & Coleman Hawkins- Bean Bags
    Les McCann & Eddie Harris- Swiss Movement (upcoming)

6. I bought vinyl pressings of My Favourite Things and Giant Steps earlier this year. The latter is obviously 180 grams, the former is not. They have DOUG@TOWNHOUSE in the matrix, this should be Doug Shearer, not Bernie Grundman. Nevertheless they sound nice, they were very cheap and I'm really enjoying the music.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

"Giant Steps," mastered by Bernie Grundman and available for $17.99, is a helluva bargain. It sounds amazing. This one has a thin cardstock cover, not cardboard with pasted slick, but the platter inside is 100% audiophile quality, all-analog, and an excellent, quiet pressing.

I also have "Coltrane's Sound" and "The Genius of Ray Charles" in the newer series, and these are a bit more expensive ($25) but have heavy cardboard '50s-'60s style covers. Again, the mastering is impeccable and the vinyl is quiet. The Ray Charles LP in particular has some incredibly powerful dynamics. One is mastered by Bernie Grundman, the other by Doug Sax.

I highly recommend this series.

e.s. likes this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

According to the sticker on the front of the bag the album came in, it's Bernie G. who mastered My Favorite Things.

9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I believe he was referring to a different (non-180 g) version.

10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Kevin Gray cut the single disc $18 version:

[​IMG]

Bernie Grundman cut the 2x12" 45rpm $60 version.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. NorthNY Mark

Does anyone know if Kevin Gray also cut the other less expensive Rhino Coltane albums I see in some stores (including Olé, which was not part of the Grundman reissue series)? I noticed that Giant Steps had the sticker mentioning Gray, but the others did not. Since I know he mastered all the albums for the Heavyweight Champion box set, I am hoping these are individual releases of those albums (but fear they might instead be something like Scorpio digital pressings).

12. gmoney80

gmoney80 Forum Resident

Just listened to my copy of giant steps, and the re issue is top notch. Not bad at all for $18

13. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The 180g single disc of Giant Steps is a RTI pressing, mastered by KG. The other titles you are asking about are thin, cheap Scorpio pressings and not mastered by Kevin or Bernie.

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Has anyone else noticed the weird fluttering sound on the Rhino pressing? I've heard it on both copies I've had and it is absent on 70's and earlier Atlantic pressings. It sounds like tape damage, I'm surprised no one else has said anything about this.

15. NorthNY Mark

Thanks--that's what I was afraid of. I'm surprised that the major companies don't have standard (analog-sourced) editions of these titles (like the OJC series). It seems we either have to wait for expensive reissues, search for pricey originals, or settle for CDs dubbed onto vinyl (which I think should be illegal).

By the way, are the OJC albums I see for the same price as the Scorpios the real OJCs that people rave about, or are they Scorpios as well? Is there any way to tell?

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I hate that you can't tell what version is what on LP reissues. Drives me batty. Also hurts the audiophile record reissue business.

These things should be CLEARLY MARKED. Never mind about preserving the "authenticity" of the original album art. I want CLEARLY MARKED NEW CREDITS INCLUDING WHAT REISSUE LABEL THE THING IS BEING RELEASED ON!

hi_watt, Eric_B and cidrolin like this.
  17. Mike in OR

Now THAT would be something. :righton:

I would love to see the mastering credits, where it was pressed, the issueing label, etc. All clearly marked on the back of every jacket.

I am all for preserving the original album art, TO A DEGREE. But for me, as soon as it becomes a REISSUE, it certainly does not matter that every letter of every word be exactly as it was on the original issue.

Progfan the OJC records are just that, no worries there.

18. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

There are OJC lookalikes. Watch out for those. They're Fantasy Jazz titles but don't say OJC. Glossy covers...

19. Mike in OR

Well, right but there is no reference to the OJC catalog number on the back of the jacket. I guess you could get them mixed up, but ensure you see the OJC catalog number on the back of the jacket.

I did mention that the Scorpio pressings are lighter weight pressings, and of course some are. Watch out for the 180g Scorpios as well, they are out there. Just like what Rhino has issued, mixed in with the issues that BG has mastered.

20. NorthNY Mark

OK, great. Most of the (relatively) inexpensive OJCs I see do in fact have OJC catalog numbers on the back, so from what you are saying they are the real deal. I see quite of few of the Scorpio 180 g pressings in the bins. That's what most of them (aside from the Blue Notes) seem to be.

By the way, are the unmarked, inexpensive Impulse! issues also Scorpios? Like Steve, I find it intolerable that so many reissues often have so little identifying information.

21. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Do a search for details but I have an early issue of the HC box and it was not mastered by Gray.

22. NorthNY Mark

You are right--I don't know where I got the idea that he mastered the box set. I apologize if that misstatement caused any confusion.

23. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

The only one (of the new 2010 BG remasters) I've heard so far that hasn't impressed me is "Coltrane's Sound." Sounds like a 2nd generation tape was used.

24. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Have you compared it to another version? The original mono pressing isn't very high fidelity.

25. aoxomoxoa

So the only reissue version of OLE is a Scorpio pressing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.