Classic Kiss interview on Tom Snyder (Ace drunk)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

It's not unlikely that Snyder had had a few himself before tackling that interview (he made no secret of his fondness for cocktails), but the crucial distinction between TS and the KISS boys is that, apparently unlike Ace, he was a grown-up who could hold his liquor.

2. Tom Snyder is having a good time, Ace Frehley is having a good time, Peter Criss is having a good time, and Paul Stanley, although a little tentative at times, seems to be having a good time also. Gene Simmons looks like a pissed-off executive at a board meeting dressed in a clown suit who's deciding who to fire next. Clearly a sign of things to come...
    :cheers:

3. music4life

music4life Senior Member

My wife saw the interview for the first time when I bought "Kissology". She said she didnt know Ace could be so funny.
    As an aside, his drinking was out of hand. A friend of mine went out on a date with him a couple years after this interview, and she said he was NOT a gentleman at all.

4. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I always got the impression from this interview that Paul kinda wanted to just roll with it, but stayed "in check" due to Gene. A similar interview from Australia in 1980 has turned up on youtube lately, with just Gene and Ace, and again you can see Gene doing everything he can to turn attention away from Ace and the subject of drinking, after Ace mentions that Eric Carr was recovering from a hangover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy_k6PHwZkc

5. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville Thread Starter

Agree with your opinion here.

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

In defense of Gene here (something I do not often do), if I had to listen to Ace's extremely loud cackling laugh every 5 seconds and being interrupted by him, I would have gotten irritated too.

It's not fun being the only sober person at a party.

7. steeler1979

Good point.

8. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I'm not even a Kiss fan but I decided to check this out-great interview!

9. steeler1979

Ha! It's so entertaining!

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Probably my favorite clip of Kiss ever. Always so funny.

Ace is delivering outstandingly funny but drunk performance and Gene is so grumpy and not normal and looks like some over-serious parent.
    Must have been weird, since Tom Snyder was told before the interview that Ace is the most silent one and probably wont speak at all.
    Luckily he drank bottle or 2 champagne for the evening.

Ace is so ace:righton:

11. helter

helter Forum Resident

In the Snyder interview and the Australia interview Ace seems to have a better repoire with the interviewer's much to the chagrin of Gene. Sticking his tougue out, gets a little old after a while. Ace has got more personality drunk or not.
    :righton:

12. liveshowz

liveshowz Forum Resident

Ace embarrassed about this ??? Guess you don't know the Ace... :D

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

what about Peter? he was definately flying on something or scared out of his mind

14. steeler1979

Something seemed to be mellowing him out or at least altering his mood!

15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Anyone remember the Peter-is-homeless-lookalike scandal? Wasn't both Peter and the fake Peter interviewed by Phil Donahue 20 years ago?

16. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.