What is the best Led Zeppelin 4 vinyl pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Schoen, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!! Thread Starter

Need help, I am replacing my "average" pressings, up to Led Zeppelin 4 now... so far I have LZ I (Classic), LZ II ("RL") and LZ III (nice German pressing). What should I look for to replace the "thin" sounding LZ 4 that I have. (Willing to spend 40 or 50 bucks, btw). Thanks for suggestions (or offers...)

2. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

If you're very lucky, you might be able to find a CLASSIC 200 or 180g pressing for that much money. A regular issue "PECKO DUCK" / "PORKY" might suit you and save a lot of $$$ at the same time.

3. Chris Schoen

Yeah, if I can find a nice Pecko/Porky, I would consider that.

4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Classic 200g is probably your best bet however, good luck finding one for under $150. The Porky/Pecko's are nice compromise but lack some of the punch you'll find with the Classic Records. If your really feeling rich, seek out the 45rpm box set. You're thisclose to the master tapes with that selection.

AnalogJ and canonlon like this.
  5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Having gone through a bunch a LZ IVs, I would say on average the 1st UK pressings are the best. It's pretty hard to touch a clean one for under $50, though.

I also have a US White Label Promo "Porky" that is easily comparable to the 1st UK (also more than $50).

I have a 180g Classic Records pressing bought new in 2001. I consider it below the others in sound quality.

The good news is if you can find a clean early US "Porky" press, you will will have something very close the 1st UK and WLP--apparently, all the cuts were made by George Peckham at the same time--and that could be very likely be found for less than $50.

Search the forum. There are plenty of threads that go into great detail on this subject.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You could get ten different Porky etc. US pressings with different lacquer codes and hear ten slightly different results. Even the best copies are not going to sound like the best of their first three LPs. Plus, I think the album was pressed in so many numbers they pushed the stamper lives a bit, resulting in copies that lose some presence.

FWIW I think getting a clean US Monarch pressed Peckham would be the easiest way. The earlier the better, but it won't make a lot of difference. Ideally.... buy a couple Monarch Pecko's and compare them. Or a clean UK original but good luck with that i.e. getting one without groove wear at the end.

klownschool, aoxomoxoa and marcfeld69 like this.
  7. Moby Grape

Moby Grape Forum Resident

I've just listed my Classic Records 200 gram LZ I, II, III & IV on Audiogon for $350 which is far below where these are going at retail.

8. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

i'm new to zeppelin and just got a pecko of zep IV, and agreed the sound just isn't that great compared to my regular zep II album, kinda disappointing.

is that because of the stamper volume or was it simply not recorded/mastered as well? i don't know their music well enough to know how it compares on cd etc

9. Chris Schoen

I might go for that if I did'nt already have nice copys of I, II and III.

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The final mixdown to tape I think. No real dynamics, a bit thin, rolled off low end. Great music, so-so recording.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

:(
    The a3/b3 of IV is cut so loud, I can't imagine a copy -maybe only if unplayed- that doesn't slightly distort at the end of Levee. Other than that, it is my favourite cut of this album (but I haven't heard as many as Raunchnroll).

I always find that a big drawback about Peckham's work.
    At least up on to 1973, he steadily pushed the envelope by cutting as loud as technically possible -or even a bit more- and thus his cuttings are always extremely prone to IGW and difficult to find with more than 90% clean sound on the last minutes of each side.
    But I guess it did get him a few fans as well though (Page, JP Jones, Lennon, Harrisson, etc.).

tvstrategies and marcfeld69 like this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

a3/b3 UK cutting of IV is my best favorite. But a bear to track "When The Levee Breaks" on a less than optimally set up system. But it for me has the best tonality and lacks thin tonal character which so many LP issues of IV have.

skisdlimit and Giorgio like this.
  13. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes--this matches my experience as well. There are some other Peckham masterings (Sabbath Vol. 4, for example) which always seem to distort at the end of the side. No matter how clean the LP appears, the inner grooves will have a fuzzy sound that tracks with the dynamics. An optimally set up TT helps a bit, but does not fix the issue.

As you say, maybe a record never played on a vintage set up might sound clean. It's so rare to find those...

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree that the Classic Records 200g reissue is a keeper.

AnalogJ and Squad 701 like this.
  15. mloops

mloops New Member

Plz forgive my ignorance, but how would one identify a Monarch pressing?

16. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I have had about 20 IV's including 3 UK Plums...the Monarch IV is the best sounding on my system

17. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

waaguirr and Dude111 like this.
  18. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

+1

19. mloops

mloops New Member

20. I've got an A3/B4 UK which is my preferred. I've compared it to both a US early pressing as well as an RCA Record Club pressing... but as Raunch stated above, I think with the US pressings, they're hit-and-miss.

McLover likes this.
  21. uncleroy

uncleroy Forum Resident

I'm quite happy with my porky/pecko. They seem to be fairly common too!

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have a Porky Pecko, and the bass sounds really crappy on Black Dog. I can't remember if this is how it sounds normally, or if there is something wrong with my record.

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

It's the LZ IV porky/pecko curse. I've got one LP that is thin/bass shy, while the other is solid. If I see a porky in good shape, I generally buy it. Cost is usually $10 to $15 in the used bins.

I have the Classic Records LP and it is indeed thunderous.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have a US GP porky/pecko. But which cut the wax?? :confused:

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's weird, though, because it improves on Rock and Roll. Seems to really only effect the beginning of the sides?