I'm going to master Ten Years After "A Space In Time" today for AF Gold CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Great choice Steve.
    Had been hoping this one would get an AF lift.
    I have the MFSL twofer cd of Cricklewood/SHHH and it sounds superb.

2. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I agree, the MFSL is fine. A Space In Time is my favorite because of all the memories of that year.

3. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I know, I know. :cool:

Dude-o....sounds like a snack cookie.

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

You're not missing out soundquality-wise, Roland. This title has never sounded good at all on CD. That's the main reason that I'm really excited about this release!

5. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Would have loved to see an SACD with the quad mix in addition to the stereo mix but those days are gone. Ahh but a dude-o can dream. Still looking forward to this title.

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I didn't expect it, since the Quad mix (if it still exists) would be considered a second generation tape, I suppose. I merely was remarking that the sound quality of the SQ disc seems to be better to my ears than the stereo disc.

I've never liked any of the CD releases of A Space in Time that I've heard, and your touch will be very welcomed by all.

7. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Steve, that album was ruined for me due to the lyric "Everywhere is freaks and hairies, Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity"

Dykes and fairies? I get mad hearing a gay person referred to as "a fairy" in the same way you get mad hearing a Japanese person referred to as "a Jap" :(

(Sorry, I don't wanna be a buzzkill -- good luck with the mastering -- bad lyric aside, it's still a good album)

8. kkchome

kkchome Forum Resident

Great record. Very much looking forward to hearing it.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is this considered obscure? I think this it the first artist AF is doing that I've never even heard of.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yikes. I feel old.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Wow. Less experience than me, huh ? :laugh: At least I've got the aforementioned song, and the Woodstock appearance...don't feel so bad now. And the band name is derived from...10 years after Elvis, right ?

12. Wish I could be more excited about this title, but of course, "I'd Love to Change the World" is a classic.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm a little confused myself. From Wiki:

Ten Years After is an English blues-rock band, most popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Between 1968 and 1973, Ten Years After scored eight Top 40 albums on the UK Albums Chart.[1] In addition they have had twelve albums enter the US Billboard 200,[2] and are best known for their tracks "I'm Going Home", "Hear Me Calling", "I'd Love To Change the World" and "Love Like a Man".
    A blues rock band from the late 60's to early 70's? Being the rockist that I am, I should know them. I didn't recognize any of those song titles, so I just listened to clips of them. I recognized "I'd Love To Change The Word" right away, but never knew who did it. I didn't recognize the other three at all. But it sounds interesting enough, I'll probably buy it and see what it does for me.

I'm 37 if that matters.

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This will be a good companion to the Shhh/Cricklewood Gold CD in my collection. I look forward to A Space In Time.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You can't listen to every artist, you still have to sleep, work, etc. So Ten Years After was one that I blew off, obviously, just like Spirit. Now in just a matter of hours, at 52 years of age, I've let them both in.

It's never too late. To quote John Kay. :righton:

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love this album, I can't wait to hear the new mastering.

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Me too! Was making out constantly with my girlfriend while this, Cooper's Killer, Mud Slide Slim and Sticky Fingers played(stacked on her father's hi fi set). When I came up for air I seem to remember Ten Years After.

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Great album. TYA was my first concert (Fall 1970).
    Thank You Steve!!

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

"Here They Come" is an awesome song. I will buy it for that. The rest of the album never did much for me but it's been years since I have heard it so I will give it another try. Count me in.

20. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

You've never seen "Woodstock"? They were the highlight, or one of the highlights, of the movie.

21. DTB

DTB Active Member

I understand that MFSL did a great job.
    But, you see, I don't have the MFSL.
    I haven't found one I could afford.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have been discovering Spirit lately too. I had heard a few of the albums but didnt completely "get it" until recently.

23. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Love to change the world is really the only song I know by those guys (I really dislike the endless goin home Woodstock thing and sort of don't consider that as a song as much as ear torture.. for me anyway) ... but, I do like change the world.

That's only one of about two songs with a holy grail sound Marshall amp that I love. That sound is the one I have only been able to duplicate once in the studio in the 70s.. with somebody's old 50 watt Marshall something or other cranked up to 11 and placed two rooms down the hall with mics since it was so loud. But such a sweet sustaining singing sound !!!!! arrrr arrr arrrr as Tim Allen would say on ToolTime.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear the multitracks of that someday to hear how the Marshall stack may have been mic'd. It's great in the mix. Are those guys all still alive? Maybe I should find out if the guitar player ever talked about that seesion.

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

More of a sentimental favorite for me than a great album. I'm quite happy with the BGO CD but it's nice AF is doing this one.

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What was so bad about the BGO import?