I'm going to master Ten Years After "A Space In Time" today for AF Gold CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is Steve and AF also mastering a Spirit album on a gold cd? If so, which one? I did a thread search and didn't see anything.

3. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Love this album. Listened to it constantly on an 8 track back in the day. When I heard AF was doing a Ten Years After title I hoped it would be this one. I hope it sells well so we can get more.

4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Good news I guess, never heard that album and I am a fan of this group ! Sssh. WATTS and Stonedhenge / TYA selftitled are my faves as far as studio recordings go BUt the one that kicks the most seriou butt is RECORDED LIVE - still waiting for a DoCD with The Hobbit included as on the DoLP. Otherwise the CD sounds great.
    Best would be a DoLP and DoCD on ap .
    The master tapes should be fun to listen to. The used The rolling stones Mobile truck/studio to record their 1973 Tour and theywere at the top of their game then.
    Alongwith Made In Japan this is the best Live CD's one can find besides maybe CREAM Wheels On Fire Disc 2 TOAD rules lol

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Bring it on Steve, really looking forward to this one...

6. peter

peter Senior Member

BIG NEWS. This is AWESOME.

7. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Good Lord, now I'm really feeling old. TYA was by FAR my favorite group
    back then, and I got every LP on the day it was released. To find so many
    here aren't familiar with them is just astounding to me. Or to only be slightly
    familiar with "I'd Love To Change The World" and nothing else be them is
    equally amazing.
    I saw them twice in the very early seventies and both shows were astounding.
    And of course their performance in "Woodstock" is considered one of the 2 or
    3 best performances in the film I(I mean, Alvin Lee was on fire!!).
    At any rate, I'm anxiously waiting for this, and can't wait to hear the opening
    to the first track "One Of These Days", one of the greatest first tracks on
    ANY album from the seventies...........

Attached Files:

9. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

AUTOMATIC BUY.

A Space In Time is my favorite Ten Years After record and the main reason I became a guitarist as a child was from hearing the songs on the album and wanting to learn how to play them. Can't wait to hear how this is going to turn out.

10. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Please! That would be awesome.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't Olympic use Tannoy speakers to master with? Wow - an excellent album and I'll be able to hear exactly what they heard way back then!!!!

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

And WATT!

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm in for this one as well. As someone posted above, I too remember buying this album. I think I went to the record store after school ended on the last day of the semester.

14. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Definitely a must buy for me. One of my favorite albums of the early '70's, and the tastiest album Ten Years After ever made. Those of you who are unfamiliar with this album are in for a real treat -- I sure love my original vinyl and can't wait to hear what Steve does with this release!
    Thanks Steve!
    I hope someday soon AF will get around to improving another overlooked classic... So What from Joe Walsh (a great overlooked album, but surely a poor sounding CD)...

from allmusic.com--

Ten Years After - A Space In Time (1971)
    A Space in Time was Ten Years After's best-selling album. This was due primarily to the strength of "I'd Love to Change the World," the band's only hit single, and one of the most ubiquitous AM and FM radio cuts of the summer of 1971. TYA's first album for Columbia, A Space in Time has more of a pop-oriented feel than any of their previous releases had. The individual cuts are shorter, and Alvin Lee displays a broader instrumental palette than before. In fact, six of the disc's ten songs are built around acoustic guitar riffs. However, there are still a couple of barn-burning jams. The leadoff track, "One of These Days," is a particularly scorching workout, featuring extended harmonica and guitar solos. After the opener, however, the album settles back into a more relaxed mood than one would have expected from Ten Years After. Many of the cuts make effective use of dynamic shifts, and the guitar solos are generally more understated than on previous outings. The production on A Space in Time is crisp and clean, a sound quite different from the denseness of its predecessors. Though not as consistent as Cricklewood Green, A Space in Time has its share of sparkling moments. (4/5 stars)

1 One of These Days Lee 5:56
    2 Here They Come Lee 4:38
    3 I'd Love to Change the World Lee 3:44
    4 Over the Hill Lee 2:28
    5 Baby Won't You Let Me Rock 'N' Roll You Lee 2:14
    6 Once There Was a Time Lee 3:22
    7 Let the Sky Fall Lee 4:20
    8 Hard Monkeys Lee 3:11
    9 I've Been There Too Lee 5:45
    10 Uncle Jam Churchill, Lee, Lee, Lyons 1:57

15. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

LOL. That's what I did, 'cept I used Youtube to audition the album. And I came to the same conclusion.:righton:

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, I'm sorry. I was referring to "discovering 2 Classic bands" in the course of a few hours this morning. No, no Spirit. But I will be pre-ordering this.

17. Alex D

Alex D Forum Resident

18. downhill

downhill Senior Member

*Does the happy dance!!!*

One of my all time fav albums and man I can' t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

19. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I played the hell out of this record when it was first released. I was one of the first ones to buy new records and play them for my friends. I loved turning people on to new music - still do. But this album was such a huge hit with my friends. It got played many Friday and Saturday nights.
    Bring it on!

20. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Automatic purchase. I'm in.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Count me in too ! Easy sell here....:laugh:

This was the album of the tour the first time I saw them in November of 1971.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

OK, I'm famous for bitching about getting albums from AF that I already have in my collection (in this case I have the Columbia vinyl and Chrysalis CD).

But on this one I'm going to shut up and enjoy :edthumbs:

Hopefully more TYA will come in the future.

23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I was hoping for Cricklewood Green first. But I'll take 'em as they come. Great news.

24. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

A great follow-up to the Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday. Can't wait!

25. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

All ready done! But let's bring some other titles please.