I'm going to master Ten Years After "A Space In Time" today for AF Gold CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Thanks for the link Myke ! :thumbsup:

2. Haven't played it in a few years, so I don't remember offhand...better dig it out and check!:righton:

3. Baldoni

Baldoni New Member

4. I use 3 online sources: Acoustic Sounds, Amazon and Audio Fidelity's own website. The most reliable ways to get AF product, in my experience!!!:righton:

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yes, those are the most reliable. CD Universe and ImportCDs are also reliable and usually have good prices. Though, sometimes you have to wait longer with ImportCDs (they sometimes don't have a newly released AF CD in stock on release day like the other online sellers do.)

Elusive Disc is another reliable one (though, they usually don't have good discounts except on occasion at 10% off list.)

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Comon Steve! Give us some surround!!

Do you want a DVD-A of the Columbia Master Quad Reel? (No SQ Encoding) :shh:

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Just listening to the 3-CD The Chrysalis Years. A Space in Time sure sounds good already. I'll be interested to know how it compares to yours Steve. Or is that a foregone conclusion?

8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I agree. Still, this is exciting news and I can't wait to hear Steve's version. This album always had a unique sound to my ears and Steve's first post in this thread helps explain why. i always considered this TYA's "Abbey Road", the culmination of their artistic and technical prowess.

9. TopForty

TopForty Active Member

Can't wait to hear Once There Was A Time!

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Very cool, I love this album - my favorite TYA studio album.

I don't think I have any "AF" CDs at all, nor have I ever seen them anywhere either btw. This is one I'd like to try get though....

11. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

the first LP i ever bought .... OMG ....
    it was a thick 180g from Chrysalis - was not yet the petrol crisis ...
    got it at 21 FF ( french francs) roughly 4 bucks
    i was 17 ...

the second was Eight miles high from golden Earring

12. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Right On! Can't wait!

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I only know this song and "Goin Home" from Woodstock. Here's my chance to get a nice sounding complete CD of Ten Years After:)

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm 45, and would really like some more 80s or 90s material from AF. I enjoy the Phil Collins CDs, but how about some REM, Police, Smiths or the Cure.

15. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It's funny how some bands get saddled with a certain image from a particular song that became a "hit" - but I don't think Goin' Home is typical of TYA's music at all and cringe every time I hear people mention it like that is what TYA is to them. Yeah Alvin's guitar playing is amazing in that but the song is a tedious boring retread of a bunch of old 50's/60's music (IMO). I think that songs' success hurt them more than it helped them because of the image it planted. It's just a boring jam type thing that took off because it was in the Woodstock movie. I'd Love to Change the World is actually a real song rather than a tedious jam, and a damn good song too!

TYA has so much more to offer than I'm Goin' Home!!

17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

10 Years After...cool. Man I was into those guys during the day. A great band. I was 'totally' into it.

Alvin Lee, I believe the lead players/singers name is. Saw him in concert, with a different band, in Houston in 1975. Most excellent! It was exciting, I do remember that. Can't remember the other bands but I think we pretty much all went to see him.

18. art

art Senior Member

Great music doesn't have an expiration date. Tho I think some AF titles had a shelf life, this one doesn't.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

When I've seen set list from their shows back in the day, they didn't play ILTCTW. I always wondered why?

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good question, I've wondered too. There must be a reason, maybe Alvin didn't like playing it live? I don't think I've ever seen them do it live with him, but the new lineup (without Alvin) does it.

Something kind of ironic - the new lineup has a song on their first studio album ("Now") called "A Hundred Miles High" that I think is the best song this lineup has come up with. It's a great melody with an amazing guitar solo, goes on for like 7 minutes on the record and they could really make it a great live showcase IMO. But they won't play it live. I've asked them why not and although I don't recall the exact answer it was something like because one of them (perhaps Joe Gooch, the new guitarist/singer) simply doesn't want to play it. Go figure.

21. This release is now listed under "Upcoming Releases" on AF's website:

Attached Files:

22. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Great album. When can I preorder?

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I still have the original on vinyl. Great album by a great band. Ten Years After was the first concert I went to 71 or 72. These guys played loud!

24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I want this now.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Unlike everyone else here, I would suggest checking out their first three lps. They were a very good blues band that could play with a lot of fire. IMO, after Watt, it was over. Yea, I like Change the World, but it's almost a novelty song to me. In high school, I bought the three Columbia studio lps, but eventually I realized I was only playing one or two songs on each lp, and sold them. Jump ahead 20 years: a friend sits me down and makes me listen to their early stuff and introduces me to their BBC recordings 1967-68. Whew, I was blown away.