Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by unfastened belts, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I still have a German pressing of the album that sounds very good.

2. Here's a sample of my version of "I know I'm not wrong", which is this?
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xxufd3a7cm2lt2b

In fact, my CD's matrix says 07/99 so I take that to mean it's probably a 1999 pressing? :D

3. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

That's such a great performance. I have the Laserdisc of that show as well as the Beta (yikes!) Hi-Fi tape. The Beta tape has several more songs than the Laserdisc. Either way, a great performance by the band that really should be released on DVD or Blu-Ray.

4. dustinblythe

dustinblythe Member

Product of white powder?

I seem to recall that Lindsey was heavily into cocaine during the writing and recording of TUSK. Perhaps that explains the diversity, length and departure from RUMORS.

At any rate, I salute Buckingham for having the cajones to undertake such a massive project after the runaway success of RUMORS. Many bands would have been happy to rush release RUMORS II.

5. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

In my opinion, the s/t and Rumours records were very similar in style. If Tusk would have continued down that path, that would have been like Rumours III. :)

spindly likes this.
  6. Holy ****, thanks for this!! Does anyone else think Lindsey looks a bit like Terence Hill here? :)

7. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

When I listen to this album, there are quite a few tracks I skip over. I really cannot understand the love for the demo-sounding Lindsey tracks. I could probably pick 6 songs from this album and make a nice EP for myself out of it, never really missing the rest.

Even my favorite track Never Make Me Cry has a beautiful vocal, but the instrumental backing sounds like sort of half-hearted meandering instrumental work. Tusk (the song) is a weird and wonderful mish-mash, and well-edited I would say.

Hey, I'm in the minority here, probably. I'm the fly at the picnic. But what would a SH forum thread be without a dissenting opinion? I much prefer the near perfection of the previous two FM albums.

8. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I like the cover of Farmer's Daughter.

JohnnyQuest and spindly like this.
  9. Has anybody thought of petitioning Warner Music to release "Tusk" in blu-ray audio format, using the same high resolution stereo and surround remasters intended for the aborted DVD-A release? Blu-ray is thriving now and it would be a snap for their Rhino division to do it this way!!! They could ask Steve and his mastering partner Kevin Gray to do an audiophile LP release simultaneously with this and make the analogue fans of this album happy campers too!!!:wave:

10. MJH64

MJH64 Forum Resident

I just listened to Tusk straight through the other day after not hearing it for years.

It's of its time and a direct attempt to not release "Rumours II". I personally like the way it ebbs and flows between Lindsay's new wave-ish tunes and Stevie's dramatic songs then on to Christine's dreaminess. I think Christine is the one who shines most of all on Tusk, even though Lindsay got a lot of attention. Opening the LP with "Over and Over" and its mellow, drum-heavy vibe is not a foreshadow of what comes after with Lindsay, but the LP takes you on a ride for sure. Also Christine's "Brown Eyes" and "Think About Me" are excellent.

re: the packaging...not having the lyrics in the original LP was annoying, I love having the words via the 2002 reissue.

11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

A bit like the Fabs White Album,Tusk needs pruning
    Then it becomes Rumours II.
    Otherwise its overblown vanity.
    im umble o.

12. ssmith3046

The Beatles aka "white album" is one of my favorite Beatles albums. No pruning needed IMO. I like tusk too.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They did release Rumours II. It was called Mirage.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  14. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I agree that Tusk is not Christine's finest hour. But I do think that "Never Make Me Cry" is highly underrated; a very somber lyric matched to a lovely, understated melody...definitely not hit single material but affecting in a quiet way. And "Brown Eyes" may be a mere sketch of a song but the arrangement and production weave it into something quite hypnotic.

Actually, with the exception of the title track, I think that the high points of Tusk are its ballads and "downer" songs: "Save Me A Place", "Storms", "Walk A Thin Line", "Over & Over", "That's All For Everyone". They may not have been commercial but all were first rate.

The album's weak aspect is the overabundance of similar-sounding LB punk/rockabilly songs ("The Ledge", "What Makes You Think You're The One", "That's Enough For Me", "I Know I'm Not Wrong", "Not That Funny"). I get what Buckingham was striving for but this could have been accomplished with one or two songs in that style.

Nevertheless, Tusk will always be one of my favorite albums.

15. I've always found Tusk to be too ambitious and overblown. There is good stuff in there (Sara, Storms, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Tusk, What Makes You Think You're The One), but most of this is filler in my opinion. Always a very frustrating listen.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like Christine's songs on Tusk. I was addressing the (relative) lack of commercial success - and the one thing missing was a radio smash from Christine, along the lines of "Say You Love Me", "Don't Stop", "You Make Loving Fun", etc. "Think About Me" is a little weak. Oddly, the swirling song structures of "Over and Over" and "Brown Eyes" are more typical of Stevie. Nice songs, but missing the instantly memorable chorus/hook that she was so good at (something like "when the loving starts and the lights go down, and there's not another living soul around"). I think that if there had been a couple of radio hits from Christine on the album, it would have been huge, even with all those quirky LB tracks.

17. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

The whole band were coke-hoovering during the recording of Rumours. I think Lindsay was more influenced by the minimalist punk thing that was happening.

18. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

The focus is always on B and N, but Christine McVie was the most consistently excellent tunesmith in the band's history.

19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I really love Tusk. I try to make sure I play it at least once a year all the way through. I dedicated a whole segment on my blog to Tusk not too long ago. I'm not much of a writer and I'm not out to advertise my blog perse, but maybe some folks might relate to some of the things I wrote about Tusk:

http://catchagroove-kaiser.blogspot.com/2011/01/fleetwood-mac-tusk-1979.html

-------- Chris

Uffe Winther likes this.
  20. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Tusk may not be a perfect album, but it is very interesting to listen to. They didn't try to make an album of singles or Rumours II - so for that, they get props from me.

Sara is a primo tune. And I keep the first version of Tusk on CD just so I can look at the word "edit" next to the song, get annoyed, angrily put it back and go to the reissue with the proper length.

Steve Carras likes this.
  21. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

"Think About Me" is one of the best songs under 3:00 by anybody.

22. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

has anyone tried to requence, maybe remove a few songs version of Tusk? I'd love to see suggestions on how to tighten it up as a 1 lp listen.

23. ssmith3046

I listened to all four sides today and enjoyed it very much.

24. camster

camster New Member

I love "Tusk"...it's hasn't been as overplayed by radio as the previous two LPs. It's one of those albums I can put in the car's CD player and not take out for days. "Sara" really sticks out from the rest to me, in sonic terms. The rest of the album seems almost under-produced in contrast, but still fantastic.

I have to say I only know this album as a CD, that is as a whole set from start to finish. I never hooked onto one side or another.

Steve Carras likes this.
  25. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Forum Resident

Listening to it now, and I would say it's one of the best double albums you could buy. It flows well,and honestly I don't think there's a clunker on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.