Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

I searched and found only one general wrestling thread, which was in the archive, so I decided there ain't no grave can hold this topic down!

I'm posting this in Visual Arts, since it's on television, and wrestling (or entertainment, as WWE likes to say...) is just as much of a visual art as a lot of the reality TV stuff out there.

Anyhow...

My name is Mike, and I'm a pro wrestling fan. A while ago I decided to stop being ashamed to admit that I like wrestling. IT'S STILL REAL TO ME, DAMMIT! :winkgrin:

Dyland, jonathan and Johnny Rocker like this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

No, Mike you are not alone. I was a fan(mark) since the 60s. I first stuck my own toe in the business in 74 as a ring announcer. It was so cool to be IN the locker room with guys I had only seen on TV. But Detroit's promotion died out a few years later, and I gave it up for a few years until I moved to Texas and the Von Erich boys grabbed me by the short hairs and made me a mark again.
    Ten years later I plunged in and took the ring name of JJ Ford(wrestling fans can be crazy and I keep it separate from my music and acting). I am proud of the boys I have worked with for the past 20 years. (name dropping coming) Sabu, Rhino, Christian, Edge, Zak Gowen, CM Punk, Colt Cabana, Necro Butcher, and not to mention the guys from ICP. I still love being the ring master of the one ring circus, and am now a member of the Michigan Indy Wrestling Hall Of Fame.
    I'll be checking THIS thread often.

3. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I was a 90's child who grew up with WCW. I always rooted for the bad guys (in my case) The Outsiders. Kevin Nash + Scott Hall = The best!

I still watch TNA just for Nash. And I feel so bad for Hall.

heatherly,
    PS IT'S STILL REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!

4. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

:laugh:

I became a big fan during the Rock-n-Wrestling days, but stopped watching around the time Vince was indicted for supplying steroids. I started watching again around the time Hall & Nash defected and really got into the whole thing again. I think the glory days were from the time Bret Hart turned heel up until HHH's first title reign. I stopped watching again when they started shoving HHH down people's throats.

I was always a WWF man. Bret Hart is my all-time favorite. The time of having Austin, Rock, Foley and Angle on TV every week will not be duplicated again (in my opinion). I was one of those "smart marks" who frequented usenet a lot and visited the early reporting sites like CRZ's site, Micasa and News From Dayton (now onlineonslaught.com or OO). Other than the SHForums, the OO Forums are the best.

However, I think that the greatest wrestling match EVAR~! was the 1992 Royal Rumble when Flair won.

5. sirmikael

^ That is awesome! Always feel free to drop names and tell me more about it, because I eat this stuff up.

My connections are slim, but I did go to the same church as the Hennigs, in Elk River, Minnesota, and Larry Hennig actually purchased some items from my mom's old business. The guy was a class act. My favorite Curt story is that one Christmas Eve he pretty much slept through the entire mass.

I'm friends with a guy here in Iowa who is from Georgia and was once tag-team partners (long ago) with The Undertaker, and was also one of the guys who played The Black Scorpion.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I liked Curt but he could be a real jerk to people. Still I was surprised when he became a statistic. He was a true talent in the ring, tough as a dollar steak, and his dad(Larry"the Ax") was obviously a great teacher.

7. heatherly

But he was a Music fan!
    A country music fan!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHihfxE0ZTk

8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

He is back in WWE. Diesel returned for the Royal Rumble.

9. heatherly

LOL, I saw that. But where has he been since?? I thought it was just a one off. Well that and Shawn's induction.

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think he is working behind the scenes at WWE. He may be too injured to work in front of the camera full time.

11. sirmikael

I know people like to rip on a lot of TNA's storylines, but I would have loved to see Nash and Booker resign with them just to bring back the Main Event Mafia once more.

12. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

I've been a wrestling fan since the mid 80's since I was about 10 and although I don't watch as much as I used to I still keep up with what's going on. I used to watch Raw and Nitro every Monday night back in the 90's and have been to quite a few WWF and WCW house shows and live shows and even went to some Stampede Wrestling shows in the 80's. :cool: I still love wrestling but the amount of wrestlers dying young and all the other tragedies in wrestling throughout the years is just unbelievable. And it looks like Scott Hall might be the next tragedy. :shake: Here's my favorite wrestling discussion forum :thumbsup: http://realwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi#Wrestling

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I loved it in the 80's, got out of it for a spell, returned for the NWO and The Rock period. Liked "The Rock" a lot. Thought he was pretty funny. Then he left for the movies and I stopped caring again. No interest in watching it now.

When I think back on my all-time favorite matches most of them seem to be from the AWA. I remember watching Curt Hennig and Nick Bockwinkel fight for a full hour on New Years Eve. A real classic. I was a big Hennig fan during his AWA days. My other favorites from the 80's were Randy Savage and Jake "The Snake" Roberts. The British Bulldogs were my favorite tag-team. I also have great respect for "The Big Bossman". His steel cage match with Hulk Hogan was a great one. He was an underrated performer. He was remarkably nimble for a big man. I have a scrap of paper with both the Bossman and Mr. Perfect Curt Hennigs autographs from when my boozehound sister ran into them in a local bar. Sadly, both men are no longer with us.

I bought a bunch of DVDs that collect the old matches and enjoy watching them once in a while. Great memories.

14. sirmikael

^ Agreed on The Bossman's mobility.

15. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

I was a big WCW fan from 1995 onwards. I didn't care for the "adult" storylines of the WWF. Anyway, with all that was happening in the second half of the 90s with ECW especially it was a special time. Of course, WCW made huge boners and even though they had hundreds of wrestlers on staff the storylines were all over the place. Still, you sometimes got a good match from people not named Hogan. Also, I'll be the exception and say that I liked a lot of what Vince Russo was doing. The problem was that Bischoff and Hogan and political forces were foiling Russo's singular vision and he never had a chance. Internet fans are funny. They hate Vince Russo now. Yet, I remember very clearly that people were BEGGING for someone to dethrone Hogan's reign. Anyone ever listen to "WCW Live"? A groundbreaking web show for smart marks. I still have some of those on tape.

I saw the WCW PPV in 2000 in person. The one with the three cages ala "Ready to Rumble." Good show.

With the end of WCW, I assumed wrestling had run it's course. I was surprised recently to learn that some are keeping the torch going. Ring of Honor and numerous indies.

16. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

The greatest wrestler, based smack talk ability, and his ability to sell a match in the ring, is non other than "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. Whoooooh!

The greatest wrestling announcer is Gordon Solie (RIP). When it came to his ability to interview wrestlers (and sell the interview), and call matches, Gordon was in a class unto himself. Then again maybe I'm bias, having grown up with "Championship Wrestling from Florida" every Saturday afternoon on Channel 44 WTOG from Tampa.

marmalade and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Watched it back in the day......WCW, Mid-South, WWF. My cousin and I used to go to Mid-South's "big" cards over the summer in the Superdome. Sometimes, the "show" outside the ring was more fun than the one inside!

Now.......I'll take a peek to see who's still around. Always good for a laugh.

18. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

19. 905

905 Senior Member

I loved wrestling (my favorite thing) from 1986 to 1998 or so. Every once in a while I'll go to youtube and relive my youth. I also have some vhs tapes packed with wrestling footage that I can't bear to throw away.

Favorite wrestler was Bret Hart.

The MEZ and tensummoner like this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Loved it when I was younger..used to go see the WWF live whenever it came to town. Lost interest and then picked it up again back when Stone Cole and The Rock were the big draws and Vince and Shane-O-Mac were running things and involved week to week...they absolutely cracked me up...great entertainers. Lost interest again a few years later and havent picked it up again...once in awhile when channel surfing and I see it on I'll watch a segment or two but it just doesnt seem the same. Maybe its me that isnt the same...who knows.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Watching TNA self-destruct has been sort of interesting...

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I am not happy. Too many of my guys work there for me to be amused. Bischoff and Russo cannot do this promotion justice. Amazing with the talent they have at their fingertips.

23. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I watched it a bit when I was a kid. From late 50s thru 60s. Sometimes it was the best thing that was on with the limited channel selection back then. It seems that I guess starting around the 80s it got kind of "too-produced". I liked it more back when you had these big ugly beer-bellied crazy guys goin' at it. The ones with the masks were actually pretty scary for a little kid. Like, what kind of people are these? What kind of world do they come from? It wasn't big arenas or auditoriums back then either. Sleazier and grimier made better as far as wrestling went imo. My son used to like it in the 80s. I thought he was gonna cry when I told him it wasn't real. George "the Animal" Steele is a fave.

The MEZ and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  24. sirmikael

Agreed. I do think that they have some excellent ideas, that start out really well, but they both seem to let ideas fade away without giving them a chance to catch on.

Remember when A.J. was pretty much going with the "We're the original TNA guys!" group? He did some excellent work on the mic, they had a few run-ins, and then it just disappeared.

Crimson is a guy that needs more TV time, in my opinion. He has the look, the energy, and seems like a guy who you can build stories around. He's actually not bad on the mic either.

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Agree with this post. Too bad Flair just had shoulder surgery as I now have no reason to watch TNA for awhile.

And I also grew up in the Tampa area and have good memories of Gordon Solie doing wrestling on Channel 44 WTOG.