Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. 905

905 Senior Member

I've been watching some Mid South on youtube. Junkyard Dog coming to the ring with Another One Bites the Dust is one of the most iconic moments in classic wrestling history. I also like the Rat Pack team of Dibiase and Borne.

2. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, Heenan and Monsoon had a perfect chemistry working together. I grew up watching the WWF 'Prime Time' show that came on USA every Monday night.

3. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

What is the preferred pressing for Hulk Hogan's "I'm A Real American?" West German? Japanese? MOFI?

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I watched it on and off, with varying interest, from the days of the 'American Dream' Dusty Rhodes and Rowdy Roddy Piper, all the way until the era of when Chris Benoit was getting big, and not really after that. Randy Savage was always a favorite of mine from the old days on until whenever he retired. Hard to image Ric Flair still out there, at his age, though he was hilarious. I'd watch again to just to see him.

I just noticed that Bad News Brown had passed away, another one for the casualties list.

5. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Didn't realize it at the time, but I was at the last match Chris Benoit wrestled at in Orlando,Fl. He was terrific in that match. Great talent aside, I'm certainly not happy at all about how he went out at the end (and took family with him).

6. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved it back when the Rock was big into it...

8. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I loved how the nWo theme was compiled from Jimi Hendrix tunes:

Main Riff--Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice

Breakdown Riff#1--Hey Joe

Breakdown Riff#2--Stone Free

Breakdown Riff#3--Highway Chile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juqm94sUV_E

9. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

I didn't know about that for years! Obviously, someone in WCW/NWO was a huge Hendrix fan!:righton: And don't forget that Hulk Hogan used Hendrix's "Voodoo Child (Slight Reprise)" as his solo NWO theme for years!

10. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

But who doesn't love the Wolfpac theme on it it's own??

Great track, imo!

11. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

For any Attitude Era fans looking for a good time to check in, tonight The Rock will be on, to celebrate his birthday in Miami.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

back in the 80's one of my neighbors was a pro wrestler...great guy.:)

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Anyone we'd know?

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Kendell Windham used to be my neighbor for a few years growing up in Tampa.

15. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

Gordon Solie actually sold the action as if you were watching a competitive sporting event. A Jesse Ventura/Bobby Heenan/Jerry Lawler type foil wouldn't have worked alongside a serious presenter like Solie simply because the suspension of disbelief would have been lost. When you paired those guys with McMahon or Jim Ross or Gorilla Monsoon, you kind of knew that this was entertainment, albeit one that is depoendent on athletcism.

That said, my favorite announcers were Goriilla Monsoon, Jim Ross (when he worked for WCW), Ed Whalen (legendary Canadian sportscaster who was the voice of Stampede Wrestling), Jesse Ventura. Nobody did color commentary better than the future Governor of Minnesota. I just watched some WWE docs on Netflix and was comforted to see that Gene Okerlund still looks and sounds the same.

16. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

For my money, the greatest ring entrance was Ricky Steamboat coming to the ring to this Alan Parsons track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCR85u9QngQ

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Ring entrance music.
    Vinnie Mac owns all that now, but back in the day NO ONE entered to music. Astonishing I know. The music era was started by either Ric Flair(Thus Spake Zarathustra), or Sgt. Slaughter(Marine Hymn)(and no I don't count Crusher coming to the ring to the Beer Barrel Polka). The next to start was The Fabulous Freebirds(Freebird), The Road Warriors(Iron Man), and Junk Yard Dog(Another One Bites The Dust). The Von Erich brothers all had their own, Kevin(Stranglehold), David(La Grange), and Kerry(Tom Sawyer). The Midnight Express(Theme From) came in and by then it was spreading. When Hulk Hogan walked through the curtains at Madison Square Garden to win his first title it was when the vocals started in Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor. You need vintage tape to find that as WWE dubs Real American in on all his old matches.

18. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Speaking of which, The Wrestling Album had some pretty heavy hitters as musicians on it like Rick Derringer, Jim Steinman and Roy Bittan.

19. Hawkman

My grandfather used to watch wrestling and roller-derby back in the 60's. That's where I picked it up.

I watched some wrestling back in the early to mid 80's when it was the whole Rock and Wrestling thing. I remember Cyndi Lauper bouncing around outside the ring as a manager. I lost touch with it until after I saw The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke. I started watching again, got into it, subscribed to WWE magazine and bought some Pay-Per-Views. I had to figure out the 'new' guys and settled on the Undertaker as my favorite.

Lately though it hasn't been must-see-tv for me. The locker room at WWE seems to be faltering. Many retirements or defections to TNA. Having to get the announcers in the ring to wrestle smacks of desperation to me. It seems that John Cena is holding up the whole franchise. Can't stand Nexus or whatever it's called now. TNA just seems to me to be a step above some of the local independent wrestling attractions but with the same size audience. They may as well tape it at the local Elks club too. I recently let the subscription lapse.

The Edge just retired and I don't think that The Undertaker is too far behind. Randy Orton is cool and seems to be turning 'face'. Triple H is taking a more behind the scenes role which doesn't leave too much besides Cena and C.M. Punk. Rey Mysterio is getting bounced around too.

Nah. For me, as infrequent as I was watching it back then, the 80's were the prime period for Wrestling. Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Greg Valentine, Ricky Steamboat, Superfly Snuka, The Iron Sheik, Sgt. Slaughter, Ric Flair, Captain Lou Albano, Andre The Giant, Junkyard Dog, Mean Gene Okerlund, Randy Savage, etc. It was magic.

Here is a great DVD set of 80's wrestling.

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Don't call it "defections". Often either "creative" can't figure out any more angles for a guy, or the cat is just so blown out after a few years of the WWE grind he needs the lighter schedule to heal. Todays wrestling takes a toll like never before in the history of the game, and faster too. I just wish they were being used effectively in TNA.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Fans of the WWE's Attitude Era will want to watch this Thursday's TNA Impact. That's all I'll say... :)

22. Hawkman

The last time that I saw Jeff Hardy on TNA, I couldn't believe that it was the same Jeff Hardy who I saw do a back flip off of a 20 foot later on to a table like he was doing ballet. I like the 'rawness' of TNA but fear that it may become a dumping ground for wrestlers past their prime.

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

One that always made me laugh was the music for Evil Doink The Clown.

24. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

Not as much anymore but have followed it since the early 90's. Just went to a convention today with Jim Ross, Paul Bearer, Stacy "The Kat" Carter attending among others.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's one of my favorite themes! The music was just fantastic.