Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

As has been reported elsewhere and revealed by Ian Anderson in a recent interview, EMI are preparing a special edition release of Jethro Tull's 1971 classic album 'Aqualung'.

They are looking for good quality photos of the very brief Aqualung line-up (Ian, Martin Barre, John Evan, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond and Clive Bunker). These seem to be as rare as hen's teeth so can anyone help here? Colour photos preferrably.

To start the ball rolling there is one shot in the 'Living In The Past' double LP inner gatefold and another from a German single picture sleeve, both in colour. Also a third has appeared from an edition of 'Disc & Music Echo' magazine from 20th March 1971 (see below)

Can anyone add to these? They would also need the name of the photographer or the copyright owner to be able to use them.

There are also a range of photos from a session on 19th February 1971 at the Dorchester Hotel, London showing a gold disc presentation from the actress Julie Ege but all that have come to light so far have been in black & white. Does anyone know of any colour shots from this session?

Attached Files:

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

3. Warchild

I was hoping with this thread to avoid any speculation about the content of the package but to concentrate on pulling together any memorabilia that may be useful.

But yes, for a more comprehensive discussion about the merits of surround sound mixes etc then the link provided by TooTull is the more appropriate forum.

:edthumbs:

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any idea when this will be released? I'm not hoping for much...prove me wrong PLEASE!

5. Warchild

6. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

No original finds there, just the usual stuff found via internet search or on
    some dusty old 45 sleeve.

Funny that there is no request up on the official Tull webpage,,,,,,,,,

7. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I already own the 25th anniversary edition, which I bought to replace the original, plain old regular CD version. If I buy this, in 10 years do I have to buy a 50th anniversary version? Maybe that would come with genuine Ian Anderson DNA so I can make my own clone.

Enough already! EMI, why don't you go sign a new band instead of recycling the same old products with new window dressing???

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the info...:righton:

9. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm hoping the 40th Anniversary edition sounds better than the 25th....downright awful sound. I'll keep my DCC and other vinyl rip I can find.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The nerve of them. Coming around with their hands out every fifteen years or so, forcing you to buy something again. Why that comes out to something like 2 bucks a year! It's highway robbery, I tell ya.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Weren't there some kind of issues like missing master tapes or something, which is why the 25th anniversary issue sounds like non-noised to death crap???? Did they discover a lower gen source for the tapes???

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But that 25th edition was one of the worst sounding cd's in digital history. It's famous on our forum for its crappiness. Don't complain that something better is being planned.

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

:thumbsup:

14. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It remains to be heard if the new one will be better.

I suffered the LP of that abysmal transfer. And the bonus stuff is really not that compelling (the wimpy Quad 'remakes' and some live). except the crazy Ian Anderson interview.

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Seriously crappy - sounded like the NoNoise had been turned up to extreme noise gate levels. I quite like most of the JT remasters, but in this case, the DCC showed us how it could and should be done.

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Agree, that one is in a class all its own. Sounds like someone scratching glass with their fingernails.

18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yet the 25th Thick As a Brick is fantastic. Go figure.

19. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Yeah, that 25th was pretty bad, and one of the major reasons I joined this forum. I was unfortunately unaware of the DCC back then, as I suspect were many others here, which now sells for truly exorbitant prices (>$100 in most cases!).

I too am hoping that Aqualung will finally be given a decent standard digital presentation. How about licensing our host's mastering, if possible, and make that the standard? (Hint, hint!) Well, I remain cautiously optimistic that this one won't be botched as too many recent releases have been, but I will believe it when I hear it.

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I don't know, but something tells me I won't be parting with my DCC any time soon.

21. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I liked that one too. Not nearly the stellar standard as my Vinyl (Swedish Porky press) copy but that would be too much to ask, I guess!

22. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

They'd have to pry that puppy from my cold, dead fingers. :righton:

23. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Maybe a great sounding 5.1 might change that point of view! :)

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Oh, I'll buy it for that alone...

25. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Indeed. I used to think LP mastering engineers got it right by luck, now it seems it's the CD masterers that operate on random principles. You just seldom know what you're going to get.

No of course I know better, but it still has to all come together right for the final product to be satisfying. There's no guarantees now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.