Carole King Carnegie Concert (MoFi SACD)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got this notice:

CAROLE KING - THE CARNEGIE HALL CONCERT JUNE 18, 1971 (NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION HYBRID SACD) now available.

2. Where's the link, and who's doing the remastering...Vic Anesini?!?

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

4. syogusr

syogusr New Member

I would like some more input on this, I see AMG gives it a nearly perfect score, I never got this recording in 1971, and since it is a SACD, this should be just about perfect??

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

It didn`t come out until recently for the first time.

6. syogusr

syogusr New Member

I meant to say when it came out first, which I believe was 1996, I didn't mean to refer to the actual concert date, sorry for the slip up.

7. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Gotcha ! Isn`t it scary when one (ME) considers 1996 to be recent ? :winkgrin:

8. It's Mobile Fidelity? Gotta get this one...I've been listening to this concert on Vic Anesini's stellar Legacy remaster for 15 years!!!:love:

9. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

Any reviews of this, please?

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have not heard the 1996 disc but the SACD sounds great.

11. art

art Senior Member

The mofi's jaw-dropping.

12. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

Decisions, decisions...buy the SACD, now or wait on the 180g vinyl release?

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I listened to the disc, and my jaw didn't drop. What did I do wrong? :D

It did sound good, though... but in comparison to most SACDs I own, even other Mofi discs, I wouldn't say it would cause my jaw to drop (which I said it didn't).

14. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

I owned the 1990's European release (which had undergone the SBM process) and I find it to be thin sounding. I'm hoping that the MFSL sacd will be significantly better, that's why I'm waiting for even a short review. Thanks.

15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I was hoping they'd do Music first, but I suppose since the concert included a ton of Tapestry tunes that probably took precedence. Tapestry, Tapestry, Tapestry... :sigh:

That said, I'll still pick up the SACD eventually. Music would've been an immediate buy.

16. [​IMG]

Numbered, Limited-Edition Hybrid SACD from Mobile Fidelity!

Carole King The Carnegie Hall Concert: June 18, 1971 on Numbered Limited Edition Hybrid SACD from Mobile Fidelity.
    From-the-Vault Live Release Captures Iconic Singer-Songwriter at Height of Her Breakout Period. Mastered from the Original Tapes: Intimate Sonics Make It Seem Like King is Sitting Five Feet Away. Stripped-Down Songs Teem With Warmth, Nuance, Emotion; James Taylor Also Appears.

Every so often, a from-the-vault release captures our hearts, minds, and attention in such a way that it’s impossible not to tell all family, friends, and neighbors about its existence. Originally issued to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Tapestry, Carole King’s The Carnegie Hall Concert: June 18, 1971 is such a record, a fortunate document of an absolutely magical period in the singer-songwriter’s legendary career and a revealing look at the then-stagefright artist turning in a commanding performance just as she was becoming a superstar.

Mastered from the original tapes, Mobile Fidelity’s numbered limited-edition hybrid SACD of this compelling concert album brims with liveliness, depth, dimension, detail, and transparency. The nuances of King’s spare performances and warm vocals emanate as if she’s sitting five feet away. Stripped down even further than they are on the studio albums, songs breathe with palpable earnestness and emotion, the subtle differences from their more polished studio brethren allowing listeners an insight into King’s creative genius.

At the time of its recording, King still suffered from shyness—and who could blame her? She had been accustomed to penning lyrics for other artists and sitting behind a desk in the Brill Building. Only recently did King strike out on her own and enter the public realm. This set encapsulates this contrast in thrilling fashion. Disarmingly genuine and daringly honest, The Carnegie Hall Concert: June 18, 1971 benefits from the inclusion of King’s nervous between-song banter that exposes who she is as a person and performer. Most importantly, despite her anxiety, she turns out stirring renditions of tunes from 1970’s Writer, Tapestry, and even a few from the yet-unreleased Music (also available from Mobile Fidelity).

Her control is demonstrated on the record’s six opening cuts, which feature King alone at her piano. For the remainder of the program, she’s accompanied by guitarist Danny Kortchman, bassist Charles Larkey, and a string quartet, which enter and exit according to arrangement. As such, the concert is profoundly intimate and personal, an “unplugged” session that predated the use of the term by nearly two decades. Longtime collaborator James Taylor joins her for a memorable medley of some of her biggest hits—“Will You Love Me Tomorrow/Some Kind of Wonderful/Up on the Roof”—the chemistry evident of why the duo’s 2010 tour was one of the most in-demand outings in years.

17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

For those who want to wait and save some money, Amazon has the SACD on pre-order for $25.26 (May 17th release date).

18. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Carnegie Hall is a great live recording venue. The MOFI definitely is on my list to purchase.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Got this today--very nice!

Looking forward to Music.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is a very difficult call. I generally pick up the SACD's from MOFI, but this seems like a natural for vinyl. When is that supposed to be released?

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I should get this one. I noticed that Michael Fremer praised this disc in the latest Stereophile.

22. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Pre-ordered this through BAM, but I haven't received it yet. Can't wait to hear it. I hope we'll see a MoFi SACD release of Fantasy as well.

23. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Fantasy is probably my favorite Carole King album, but I doubt it's popular enough for MFSL to reissue.

24. triple

triple Senior Member

I concur. Music first, tapestry second. I am one of the few audiophiles who do not have tapistry between their speakers. ;)

25. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

If you don't already have it, I'd highly recommend the recent Japanese mini-lp version of Fantasy, remastered by Vic Anesini. I think it sounds great and it's a huge improvement over the domestic CD. Carole's Music and Rhymes & Reasons got the same treatment (by Vic), with similar results.

Fantasy is a great and mostly overlooked album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.