Carole King Carnegie Concert (MoFi SACD)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Music has long been my favorite Carole King album. Love that record.

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I have most of them, including the three you mentioned. I agree--they're a nice upgrade. I'd be curious to hear Fantasy on SACD, though...

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listened to the new Carnegie release last night. Warm and smooth and generally terrific in my opinion. One slightly off the subject question. I usually use the clear cellophane sleeves that companies like soundsource sell for all of these new cardboard slipcases (E.g., Dead Road trips, Neil, etc). Do companies sell the cloth sleeves that come with the newer MFSL releases?

4. Greg Carrier

Me, too. I'd love to hear all of her early albums on SACD (Tapestry already is), but Fantasy would probably benefit the most, because of the sound and production. When I got the remaster, I hadn't really listened to the album closely in years, and I'd forgotten how funky it was. It's her most r&b/urban album, and she really pulls it off.

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Speaking of live Carole and Fantasy, has her 1973 Central Park concert ever been released? "Believe in Humanity" from that show is the bonus track on the Fantasy mini-LP.

6. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Yes, you're probably right. However, this is my personal favorite Carole King album. Nice feel-good 70s grooves, so one can only hope and dream a SACD release of this album will see the light of day.

I have a Sony Music Direct Japan import (MHCP 260). It's not a mini-LP, but a standard jewel case CD affair. Not sure who mastered this, but it sounds great. Wonder if they share the same mastering. Would you mind sharing your peak levels?

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What's up with all the CD reviews on the SACD listing?

8. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

SoundSourceCDs has the square white sleeves as well.

9. Greg Carrier

I'd be happy to share my peak levels if I knew how to get them. Can you PM me and tell me how?

10. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

PM sent.

11. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Peak levels for the Fantasy MHCP 260:

Track 1 94.1 %
    Track 2 95.1 %
    Track 3 94.9 %
    Track 4 96.0 %
    Track 5 95.1 %
    Track 6 95.5 %
    Track 7 95.6 %
    Track 8 95.1 %
    Track 9 95.1 %
    Track 10 94.8 %
    Track 11 95.8 %
    Track 12 95.7 %
    Track 13 95.0 %

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm not interested in this title, but its currently a Gold Box deal at Amazon, so you can get it for $21.19. Thought I'd give a heads up.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Not on my amazon.com site. Today is nothing but Billy Joel Audio Fidelity discs. I searched and searched, and no MFSLs in my Gold Box, just a bunch of Audio Fidelity dics.

14. agentalbert

It's still listed that way for me. If I look up the item and go to it, it is listed at $22.30, but then there is a link that says "this item is available as a Gold Box Deal". Hitting the View Gold Box Offer button shows the discounted price.

I didn' realize these were tailored. It might be because I have pulled the item up int he past, so they offer it at a little discount. Is that how it works?

15. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Not on mine

16. agentalbert

Sorry for the false heads up then. I thought those discounts were avaialble to anybody. I didn't know they were customized. It's only 80 cents though, so don't be too upset. :)

17. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

$19.39 @ importcds

18. Henry

Henry Forum Resident

For those wanting a vinyl copy:
    the 180g vinyl is shipping today from Music Direct. :)

19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

belatedly received the SACD this morning. ripped the redbook layer to compare with the previous master and the MoFi is superior in a number of ways. no peak limiting (the anesini is unnecessarily limited), significantly warmer and fuller, and it's a minute longer with more between song ambience and talk.

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Just received #1593 from importcds. Marvelous performances and very nice audio quality.

Isn't any booklet included with this Mofi release?

Thanks,

Alex

21. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

Just listened to the 1996 version ($1 at my local library)., and it sounds pretty good me. I am sure the SACD improved upon it, or at least I hope they did. I like the version I have and think it sounds fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.