Drummer Tommy Lee Says "No One Buys [Complete Albums] Anymore"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I'm with Tom. I like it the way it is now. One song at a time. Just like when I was growing up in the 50s.

2. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Are we all so afraid to admit that sales of complete albums are declining that we'll just knock him and his music? I'm not a Tommy Lee fan either, but let's not kill the messenger. He's right.

3. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Seems that way. :shake:

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

A classic example of yacht rock

5. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I still like complete albums. I believe there is an art to making an album, the cover, the sequencing, the way one song leads to another. For example, the way "Interludes" leads to "You Wear It Well" on Never A Dull Moment. I love the anticipation.

Yes, I am a believer in complete albums. I don't want to listen to just one song, any more than I merely want to watch the shower scene from Psycho. I love the development, the foreplay, that leads to a milestone like You Wear It Well.

6. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

“I don’t listen to anybody’s full record anymore and when I did, I don’t think I listened to the whole record. I’m sorry, and I don’t care who it is, if it’s The Beatles, I can’t listen to an hour and a half of anybody straight, so I guess that’s just my personal preference.”

aren't most albums half that length. Does he plan on shorter sets when they play live ? Or maybe they can have bands alternate on stage, play a song or two then let the next band play a couple.

7. mannymarks

mannymarks New Member

My thought exactly.

I agree here as well.

8. Phaserz On Stun

Phaserz On Stun Forum Resident

Thats because Tommy Lee, and the majority of this forum, has never heard of Adele. Her latest album, released only back in January 2011, already has worldwide sales of 6.48 million.

Yep, looks like albums arent selling anymore.
    :laugh:

9. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

^^^ This. I only needldrop on the lead in groove and don't pick it up till the lead out, followed by a record flip ( and repeat). Cheers !

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

There are no new albums as good as early Crue, like Too Fast for Love and Shout at the Devil.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Not every country album is as solid front to back as the best Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, etc. album. Not every CCM album is as solid front to back as the late 1970s-1980s Amy Grant album catalog, the classic albums of Larry Norman, the Keith Green catalog, etc.

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Don't expect too much out of us, and you won't be disappointed, that is if we're even paying attention at all.....

Tommy Lee...the spokesman for a new generation of music fan.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I also only buy complete albums - unless I'm getting a "maxi-single" with remixes for songs from albums I own.

Lee's right that album sales have declined, of course, but I don't totally agree that it's because people only buy singles. Sales have been hit harder due to illegal downloading than due to the rise of the "pick and choose" system of music buying. Yeah, the latter's hurt overall album sales, but not as much as the former.

I'd hate it if full albums went away, but I don't think they will...

14. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

His seems longer than that.

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Tommy Lee a drummer ? thats a stretch isn't it ? I don't think his poundings can be considered music .

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

17. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I think Pamela would agree, but maybe i'm wrong.:D

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

you're right, I have no idea who that is

19. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Me too. And the friends that i have who do use iTunes/Amazon digital, since they'll buy an album if they like a few songs off it.

I think what Tommy really meant was that no one buys HIS complete albums anymore.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

As somebody who suffers from ADD and is an adult, I take offense at your comment.

ADD has nothing to do with the level of intelligence of a person.

Before using terms like this in a derogatory manner, I'd suggest you educate yourself about the subject, lest you throw terms based on ignorance around arbitrarily.

21. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I'm consistent then at least. I never did!:D

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Tommy Lee has spoken like a true artist. Why paint a canvas when you can fingerpaint a saltine?

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Waaaaa! Whaaaaaaa! So, why not just make a good album with a bunch of great singles, like artists used to do in the 80s? They can make it conceptual too. Look at the great pop/rock albums of the 80s: they all had one thing in common: they all were filled with great potential singles. It just takes more work.

Instead of artists whining about the resurgence of the single, they should take the challenge.

Singles started this industry, they have maintained it, and the only reason it ever suffered is because the industry tried to get rid of them.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thank you.

I am not ADD, far from it, really, but I like singles.

25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

He's right and he's wrong. While the younger demographic that buys Adele and Gaga won't buy complete albums, the original fans of his band and the bands which are his contemporaries came up in the album age and are as used to buying albums as they ever were. They and the generation before them make up the majority of the (admittedly small) slice of full album sales which still exists. But they have to like what you have to sell, which longtime Dylan fans for example certainly do and which apparently Crue fans don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.