Drummer Tommy Lee Says "No One Buys [Complete Albums] Anymore"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Like I said, you give enough people a strong reason to buy albums, and they will.

You know, the artists can specify what songs they will allow to be sold as single downloads on iTunes and others. It's an idea that I don't think has been tested. Those who only want the hits will still get them, but nothing more.

2. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I don't think it's quite that easy. I'm not sure if an artist can just say they want this track or that track to be "Album Only." I'm pretty sure it's up to the label, meaning that only the most powerful artists could probably tell their label what to do. And most labels (I think) wouldn't get on board with this because for every kid who buys a whole $9.99 album for a hit song, there will be more than ten who don't and don't end up with the $1.29 single song, costing the record companies money.

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I get good leads on 5-10 albums each week. I try to listen to that many. This is all new music, except for the occasional classical piece.

I remember when I used to buy only singles. Times change.

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I take it you don't like 'Saints of Los Angeles'...

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

When did you last see them? Just curious.

6. Grant

I think they can. The artist can usually request that their music not even be offered for download.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Always have to have the last word, huh? :thumbsdn:

8. Grant

Dude, I supported you. What's with the attitude? :wtf:

If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore. I'll do likewise.

9. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

If they've got the negotiating power to do so. If you're a record company signing some artist, but they won't give you the right to offer their stuff for download, would you go for that knowing how much money is to be made?

I'm not in the record industry, so I don't know, but I'm guessing unless the artist is established enough or on a unique enough label that gives them the flexibility, the label is going to want to make as much money as possible. And that means putting single tracks up for download on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

But again, others will know better than myself.

10. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

Some sure seem like it.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I guess I am "no one", as is everybody I (personally) know that are music fans.

I only buy (physical) albums. And I have no interest in buying "downloads", either complete albums or individual songs. I can get those for free if I wanted them - but I don't. I want "the real thing".

I'm old school. I don't intend to change either. If the music industry moves away from physical media guess I will just listen to the stuff I already have instead giving them any more $$.

12. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

It seems to me that you are an old fart!! :winkgrin: Just like me. :righton:

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That sums up my position quite nicely. :righton:

14. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

Fight the good fight, fellas!

I can't imagine missing out on great music just because it doesn't come on a piece of plastic or vinyl. I guess I love music too much to care what format it is delivered in.

15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Exactly...people love the physical media in their hand more than they love the actual music.

I don't understand the rational. Did they not listen to the radio growing up because it wasn't physical format?

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk Pro

16. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I will not buy files like I didn't pay for listening to a radio. I listened to radio to get to know the music that I liked and wanted to buy in a physical format. :agree:

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

:laugh:

18. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

He's right. maybe this should be a wake call for artists to put their best efforts on all songs like the old dayz...you know, when most of the songs on an album are good ?

19. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

I wonder if he feels the same about movies.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Absolutely. If I hear a good song on the radio that I like; I have no problem paying $15 for a CD with that one song on it.

21. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Apples and oranges...

22. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

:righton: Of course the music itself is most important, but part of the hobby is collecting physical cds (or lps). At least for me. I think music industry should be happy that there a people that want physical products. They will always get money from them.

23. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

The artists i listen to have been doing exactly that, i don't listen to bad songs or albums, maybe you're listening to the wrong artists.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Let's get buttons made up that say "I AM NO ONE".

That way we'll recognize each other when we pass by (invisibly) on the street. :D

25. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

The rock artist's I listen to actively ended their reins in the 60's and 70's...aka "the timeless music generation". I do approve of the 90's Seattle scene though...STP, Alice, Soundgarden, ect...everything else ? Meh...:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.