Drummer Tommy Lee Says "No One Buys [Complete Albums] Anymore"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I wonder if Tommy would change his tune if Motley Crue released an album of new material and it was reasonably successful?

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That reminds me of Bruce Williams' old talk show- he said that "I've been told that nobody listens to talk radio" (this was in the late 80's before political talk radio hit it big), so his callers would call in and say "Hi, I'm a nobody!". :)

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Scott Weiland (STP) was interviewed on the Stern show a couple of months ago when he was promoting his book and he said the same thing. Very few people buy full albums anymore and he went on to say that they make their money from touring, zilch from record sales. Unless you're Taylor Swift, or some other country artist, record sales are slim.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

There are people on this forum that would rather have no music than no physical format. They have stated they will quit purchasing music if no physical format exists.

This indicates a love of physical media, not the actual music.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk Pro

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

One thing people here are not realizing is that both these guys became successful in an era (The early 90s) when the industry killed off the single and tried to force people to buy whole CDs with one or two good songs and the rest filler. Not hard to figure it out why they are unhappy when you consider that.

6. Debaser

Debaser New Member

SH Forum Member Debaser Says "No One Cares [About Tommy Lee] Anymore"

7. Grant

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Tommy is wrong.

9. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Lee's probably right as far as his type of "music" is concerned and as well about most "hit" music. However the album seems to be much more alive in the many, many more types of music not within the man's myopic range, which far outnumber his limited perspectives and don't seem to do all that well as downloaded singles.

10. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Singles were the dominant format for a long time. Most artists have to stretch to create 30 or 40 minutes of consistently interesting music. The current digital distribution model favors the purchase of single songs.

I'd rather see artists release a couple of great songs every year than one mostly crappy album every three years.

If an artist thinks they have enough music to fill an album, then more power to them: go make a long-format album.

But it would be great if the pressure to MAKE AN ALBUM were lifted from artists so they could release good songs as they write and record them.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah that's it - people that would rather have physical media don't even care what's on it, they just like holding shiny silver things (or shiny black ones). :laugh:

I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, my preference for physical formats indicates an unwillingness to bow to the record industry pressure or other "trends" that say that "no one buys albums or physical media", therefore YOU (me) must buy downloads.

If the situation were reversed - and physical media had not been invented - and I grew up buying downloads - and I had all the gear for that instead of a load of stereo gear and love of how THAT sounds - and the trend then became record companies only releasing vinyl instead of downloads which I was used to and setup for - my attitude would be the same thing - "eff off Mr. Record company"!!!

It basically boils down to keep giving me what I'm already setup for and enjoy the way it is. I have no desire to switch to some new format YET AGAIN (I actually started with cassettes, then LPs, then/now CDs with some SACD/DVD-A thrown in along the way). I'm not interested in moving to yet another format. Unless of course there were some compelling reason for me enhancing my musical experience to WANT to change to something else. Which I haven't seen with downloads (or with 5.1 for music either; I don't get it. This dinosaur just wants stereo).

However, IMO the reason physical media is "dying" is because many people (especially the new generation of kids) are just downloading the stuff FOR FREE rather than buying it in ANY format. Not because paid downloads is better than physical formats.

The record industry is pushing "downloads" because there is less overhead for them, more profit incentive, they get licensing deals with itunes/amazon/etc. It's a revenue stream they can exploit better than physical media.

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

People don't buy Motley Crue albums anymore because they stink.
    Kids nowdays would rather buy Lady Gaga or Justin Beiber, his time has come and gone. Time to go to pasture Mr. Lee.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

Great post slipkid. :righton:

...and welcome back Hamhead. :wave:

14. Grant

Hairbands are over. I guess no one told Tommy Lee that.

15. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

If Tommy Lee's career is over as a drummer,
    he could get a job at Vivid.................BOOM!

Thank you Zen.

16. Grant

CDs don't make sense if all you want to do is rip the thing to your ipod or whatever. You buy a physical product, rip it, and then it takes up space as "junk". People don't want that, particularly those who don't have tons of living space.

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Very true.

But not everybody has an ipod or that kind of thing. I don't! Plenty of us dinosaurs don't. But you make a good point. It is hard maintaining a large collection of LPs or CDs, finding the space etc. A bunch of files on a hard drive is easier. Still not reason enough for me to migrate to that format.

I guess we kind of got off the subject of what Tommy Lee said though. "No one buys complete albums". Hogwash!

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Nail hit firmly on head. I've brought music in almost every available format. Hell, I'm old enough to remember 8-track tapes. If I was a young person and grew up with downloading, iTunes and whatnot, I'd probably have no interest in CD's either. But to come across as some modern age crusader who thinks dinosaurs like us are unwilling to change is very misguided and ignores the fact that the main reason downloading is so popular is, as slipkid pointed out, it's free and convenient. Simple as that.

19. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Sorry but STP put out good albums. If you didn't appreciate their music, that's just your opinion.

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

"I only watch trailers now. Making movies seems to be a big waste of time and money."

- Tommy Lee

21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

If you want a lossless backup they make sense. It's hard to buy FLAC files online for most titles...unfortunately.

When CDs go bye bye, the FLAC files floating around online for new releases will also go bye bye because they come from CDs.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk Pro

22. Grant

I never said I didn't like STP. Where did I ever say that? Show me. I love the band!

I meant that those two artists's bands sold well during the days when the labels went to that "two good songs a CD" strategy. despite how anyone may feel about the bands or their music, good or bad, that had an impact on how well they sold.

Just because YOU or I may like the music doesn't mean everyone else thinks so.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They won't? Then who's buying all those albums? :confused:

24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

[​IMG]

25. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I say let musicians do what they want to do.
    I love what the Smashing Pumpkins are doing... they are releasing a song at a time on their website, for free. When they have four songs, they release an EP, to sell, that includes a 'bonus' 5th song that was not offered for free during the initial mp3 run.
    The quality of the freebies, so far, have been very good.
    Corgan's intent is to release 44 songs this way and then 11 EPs as part of this project.
    So far he's/they've released 10 songs and 2 EPs in the project that is due to run for another couple of years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.