Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

That Slaughter/Iron Sheik match had to have been sometime in '84 - Slaughter spent the latter part of the 80's in the AWA while Iron Sheik was still in the WWF during that time.

The MEZ likes this.
  2. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Here's how the feud got started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK870lVkCN8 (scroll to about 3:10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YkastT3DgY

As the comments and a check of the historyofwwe site attest, the first video title is wrong and is not from '83, it was taped in January '84 and aired in early Feb. All three of the matches they had at MSG that Apr-June are on youtube - the crowd is absolutely on fire for the third one, a boot camp (hardcore) match, wild stuff.:righton:

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Found the show listed on the history of WWE site

WWF @ Detroit, MI - Cobo Arena - June 15, 1984
    John Bonello fought Jerry Graham Jr. to a draw
    WWF IC Champion Tito Santana fought Greg Valentine to a double count-out
    Buzz Sawyer defeated Chris Carter
    David Schultz defeated Chief Jay Strongbow
    Bob Orton Jr. defeated Tony Garea
    Jimmy Snuka defeated Samula
    Roddy Piper defeated Rocky Johnson
    Sgt. Slaughter defeated the Iron Sheik in a bootcamp match

John Bonello, Jerry Graham Jr, and Chris Carter were all part of George Cannons Superstars Of Wrestling promotion. he claimed til he died that Vince screwed him by taking his shows name, using him as his entry into Detroit(This WAS the first WWF show in Detroit and that was McMahons MO). Other than being there I don't remember a damn thing about the card. It was just weird to me that there was no Sheik or Bobo Brazil there. Rocky Johnson was the only non Cannon wrestler whom I had seen there before(Rocky "yeah the Rock is my kid" Johnson and Ben Justice held a version of the NWA World Tag titles in Detroit)

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Autopsy results are in on Randy Savage and the verdict is heart disease. An enlarged heart to be precise. Small amounts of alcohol and pain killer found were dismissed as cause of the accident.

5. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

I saw that too, but the version I heard that it was actually cold medicine. Whatever chemicals were found were found in such a small amount that it would not have affected him.

I have to admit something. Ever since Owen, I stopped watching wrestling. His death killed the fun for me. Every time I would see a death, I would usually go "oh. That sucks" and then go on with the day. But I gotta admit, Macho's death really hit a nerve with me. One of my childhood favorites was gone not from the "usual" causes of wrestler's deaths but from something that could affect any aged person. As silly as it sounds, Randy's death was a reminder to me that I am getting older.

Yet at the same time, I found myself going on youtube and watching his (and other's) old matches and promos and remembering how talented Savage and others were. I became a fan of the old WWF/WCW stuff again. It's sad that a very gifted and talented athlete and performer had to die for me to renew my fandom again, but that's life.

6. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

One of the worst decisions WWE ever made was continuing that pay per view the night he died. How could a wrestler even consider going on with his performance? How could a fan even care knowing what just happened in front of his or her eyes? "But, Owen would have wanted the show to go on".

And then you have the high and mighty Bret who takes his stand until a couple of years ago when he decides he misses the limelight and wants a DVD released and then all is well again with Vince and WWE. They even went so far as to make him a one night US champion earlier this year.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I understand where you're coming from but remember that they had an arena full of paying fans who were never told that Owen was dead- some of them even thought the fall was a stunt (at first, anyway). Sending the fans home early would have been an even bigger PR disaster and would have ended up costing them money.

Bret's just a whiny, hypocritical nutcase.

9. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else catch CM Punk's epic promo last week on Raw? I think it was the best I've seen in about 10 years.

10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Very old school- I really liked it :righton:

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Eh; I had my filled of the worked-shoot stuff when Vince Russo was running WCW.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I will say its refreshing that they are using him this way on his way out, as opposed to burying him until he's gone. This will enhance him moving on. He will be worth more for his next gig.

13. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

That, seriously, made me a wrestling fan again. Vince Russo couldn't havve penned a worked shoot as well as this one.

And I don't buy that he is "on his way out". McMahon buries guys who are about to leave the company. I think this is an angle. When people are debating whether or not it is a work, you know that this was well-thought out.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

His contract is up on the 17th. If Vince secretly signs him I will be surprised. Not shocked, but surprised. The only way this works if that is the case, is if he is planning on re-signing in 6 mos or a year.

15. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

If it were me, I wouldn't have continued with the show - screw kayfabe. As it was, WWE wound up paying Martha Hart 15 million dollars in a wrongful death suit.

As for Bret, I am a huge Bret mark and am reading his book. With regards to his own dealings with Vince McMahon and WWE, it is important to stress that he never wanted to leave in the first place. He turned down a 3 year $10 million dollar deal with WCW to take a 20 year deal with Vince for less per year where he would finish his wrestling career and then spend the remainder of the contract in the company's corporate ranks as well as a public spokesperson (kind of what they have Steve Austin, Ricky Steamboat and Dusty Rhodes doing now). It is only when Vince wanted to breach the contract and encouraged Bret to make another deal with WCW that he did. Between his failing marriage, the turmoil of his last year with WWE, the Montreal Screwjob, and the deaths of Owen, their parents and the subsequent dysfunction and public bickering amoung the remaining Hart family, I can't really blame Bret for being bitter. Did I forget to mention his career-ending concussion and subsequent near-death stroke two years later? He wound up making a ton of money in WCW, but at the same time, he never really made much of an impact with that company. He and Shawn were the top guys in WWE in the immediate post-Hogan era and yet here he is once again playing second fiddle to Hogan and the Kliq. Plus his career-ending injury took place in WCW and they eventually released him from his contract not long before WWE bought out the company. While it is tempting to read cynical motives into him kissing and making up with McMahon, I truly believe that his stroke probably was something of a life-altering event for Bret (FYI, only 2 people from the wrestling biz spoke to Bret while he was in recovery - Vince McMahon and Roddy Piper). While I do blame Vince for the Screwjob (and Shawn Michaels and Paul Levesque to a lesser degree), I think all parties realize that life's too short. If everybody can't be friends, then at least be civil.

Bret's 2010 WWE comeback, to me, is reminiscent in a lot of ways to the Brian Wilson tours. Both men get a chance to bask in the limelight for the victory lap that they never received. Besides, Bret is hardly the first old guy to hog the current day wrestling spolight (looking at you Hulk Hogan, Sting, and Ric Flair).

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Well said about Bret. You make a lot of good points there.

You mention Shawn Michaels there. An interesting fact that few know is that right after the Montreal screwjob when Bret left and Owen stayed, they had a main event program with Shawn and Owen that was waiting to be explored. But, Shawn was tired of working with wrestlers named "Hart" and he nixed it. Unlikely Owen would have ever been "The Blue Blazer" again had he received the main event push that should of been his in late 97 and 98.

17. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

FYI, today is Bret's birthday. He shares a birthday with Todd Rundgren:)

18. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

Vince is much too cagey to give someone a huge push and then let them go work for TNA or Ring of Honor. He won't make the same mistake that he made with Nash and Hall back in the 90's.

19. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

So anyone checking out TNA recently? They dropped the TNA from their weekly show and it has been rebranded as IMPACT Wrestling or something close to that. Sting copying The Joker from "The Dark Knight" is an odd turn to say the least.

And what's going on with Nash at WWE?? I know he's got some 'legends' contract. But why appear at a PPV and not follow up?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aROqum3jzQ

20. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

"Joker Sting" has been great fun to watch!:D Here are some clips to show you just how the Stinger has reinvented himself yet again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbm08GhgKEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjDNTh7DyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJbw_kmVmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SqK93s5VIc

21. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

I saw TNA for the first time ever last night. Fantastic talent on the undercard, but Hogan and Sting were cringe-inducing. Especially Sting's Heath Ledger schtick(although I did laugh when he shoved those vitamin pills down Hogan's throat").

TNA would be better off developing their younger talent. If Vince McMahon in 1986/87 did what Eric Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett and Vince Russodo to TNA, McMahon would have had Hogan and Macho Man jobbing to Bruno Sammartino and Pedro Morales!

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Joker Sting does nothing for me in terms of making me care about his character.

23. Sammy Banderas

I'm sure if you asked Sting, he'd probably agree with everyone who says TNA needs to push the younger talent. Unfortunately, those in charge of TNA insist on putting the spotlight on the veterans, instead of their talented, homegrown stars.

That being said, at least Sting has found a way to make the most out of his latest incarnation. You can tell he's having a bunch of fun playing an over-the-top "Joker-like" character.

24. Sammy Banderas

Wow! Very well put, RobMac!:righton:

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Every week I'm still amazed TNA is in business. If Panda Energy stops funding them; it will be very interesting times.