Did anyone attend concerts at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City,NJ ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mmcshu, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmcshu

mmcshu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Being from Jersey City but just a few years too young to attend the shows, I always wondered about the concerts( I did stand outside the walls to listen to the Beach Boys once). It would be great to hear some memories or see some photo's of what took place during the years that the Stadium was hosting concerts. Thanks

2. mmcshu

3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

My cousin saw Yes there in the mid-70s. I think it was the Going For the One tour.

4. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

This is The Band in 1973 playing thru the Dead's gear. Couple days after Watkin's Glen. Saw many shows here, Clapton, Dead, Floyd, Yes, etc. Always stayed in the bleechers.

Attached Files:

Fullbug likes this.
  5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Very cool picture. I can see Richard Manuel clearly, I think Robertson is next, based on how high the guitar is positioned, Danko must be wearing the reddish shirt. Looks like Garth and Helm are hidden, unless someone with sharper eyes can see them.

6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Oh god. Dozens of shows. Leon Russel, Yes, the Dead, ELP, Eagles, Alice Cooper, Beach Boys . . I practically lived there in the summertime.

The place was always up for grabs, always oversold and little or no security, bottles and cans allowed . . . I always felt it was a good show when I got out in one piece.

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Yep - I saw Yes there on the "solo album" tour summer 1976 (a real bad name for a tour, it might be better thought of as the second leg of the "Relayer" tour, Patrick Moraz was in the band). The show was broadcast locally on WNEW-FM.

Fantastic stage set. A three headed serpent emanated from Alan Whites drum kit and they extended out over the rest of the bands heads. The serpents body and heads contained the stage lighting that illuminated the band. There was a laser light show that was... simply the best I ever saw.

Downside: lots of fireworks (it was near July 4th), and the stadium was a dump that should be condemned (and eventually was).

Still - it remains a great memory.

8. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

A bit of a dump. Stopped going to shows there once I turned 20.

I still have my ticket stubs...
    1974 - Beach Boys with The Eagles opening.
    1974 - The Allman Brothers
    1975 - The Eagles with Seal and Crofts and Poco opening.

Here is a partial list of shows as documented at
    Look at stubs

Pink Floyd - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - June 16, 1973 (John Scher)
    Pink Floyd - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - June 18, 1973 (John Scher)
    The Allman Brothers Band - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - June 7, 1974
    The Allman Brothers Band - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - June 8, 1974
    Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young with Seals And Crofts & Jesse Colin Young - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - August 8, 1974 (John Scher)
    The Beach Boys with The Eagles - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - August 23, 1974
    Pink Floyd - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - June 14, 1975
    Yes with Ace - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - July 13, 1975 (John Scher)
    The Eagles with Seals And Crofts & Poco - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - July 19, 1975 (John Scher)
    The Eagles with Seals And Crofts & Poco - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - July 19, 1975 (John Scher)
    Yes with Pousette-Dart Band - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - June 17, 1976
    Grateful Dead - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - July 2, 1976 (John Scher)
    KISS - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - July 12, 1976
    The Beach Boys with Richie Furay - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - August 28, 1976 (John Scher)
    The Beach Boys with Richie Furay - Roosevelt Stadium (Jersey City, NJ) - August 28, 1976 (John Scher)

9. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

I played a baseball game there - Fairleigh Dickinson University @ Madison vs. St. Peters, it was their home field for awile. Either 1975, or 1976.

10. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Saw the Dead and Yes there. The place was falling apart and a mud bowl when it rained. When Giants Stadium opened in October 1976, Roosevelt Stadium was pretty much made obsolete although the Oakland A's had a AA team there in 1978 (Ricky Henderson played there).
    It's also where Jackie Robinson made his professional (minor league) debut in 1946, a year before his ML debut in Brooklyn
    These days it's a condo developement called Society Hill.

11. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

It was in Jersey City. Is it any surprise that it was a dump?

12. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

That hurt!

Fullbug and somnar like this.
  13. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I saw this one as well -- my first concert -- and had a cassette tape of the WNEW simulcast. Downside was that my older brother and his girlfriend took me (I was 14) and she made us leave before the encores (including a great version of I'm Down). Still my favorite concert.

14. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

That version of I'm Down is on the YesYears box set. Not the greatest fidelity, but very energetic.

15. mmcshu

Thanks to all who posted info.

16. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I was at this concert! This was probably Yes at the top of there musical abilities! Also that night The mirrors in the back of the stadium that reflected the lasers back on to the stage fell and smashed on the ground. The laser's projected out of the stadium and into Jersey City! The next concert was The Grateful Dead. Somebody jumped off of the balcony and died. They closed the venue after this show.

17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I remember driving home from my grandmother's in Jersey City the night Kiss played there, you could see the fireworks from the Turnpike extension.

There used to be ice skating at Roosevelt in the winter time.

Funny, there is still a pizza place called Stadium Pizza, even though the place has been bulldozed since 1985 or so.

And there was Roosevelt drive-In nearby

I love seeing some pictures from the concerts at Roosevelt, people bringing in their own coolers of beer and lawn chairs, looked like a free-for-all!

My uncle didn't have a ticket for the CSNY show and was outside with his buddies listening. He said at the end of the acoustic set the gates just opened up and everyone just walked in. I told him that I read that it was the night Nixon resigned, he said, well, no one mentioned that, we just walked in.

18. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I think Yes played another time there, with J. Geils and Jo Jo Gunne on the bill

19. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I saw this one.

[​IMG]

There was a guy who climbed a speaker tower or flagpole and froze like he couldn't go up or down. People below were yelling at him to jump (tough crowd). People were also pissing in the dugouts because the bathrooms were a horror show. While I was whizzing I could see passed out people lying in the dugout getting peed on. Like I said, tough crowd.

20. JerzyBoy

JerzyBoy New Member

Great memories. Leon Russell, ELP, Santana, CSN&Y the night Nixon resigned (what brought me to this site) ironically the loudest outdoor concert ever. They tried to do an acoustic set but the crowd was so loud they gave up and rocked the rest of the show. Rumored to have jammed 70,000+ into a stadium designed for 55,000. Found a couple of Youtube recordings labeled "Roosevelt Raceway 8/9/74" but what are the chances they had 2 shows back-to-back at 2 venues named Roosevelt?

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The worst venue I have ever been to in my life. An absolute hellhole.

22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

They did. The Roosevelt Raceway show was the best concert I have ever seen in my life.

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

A crowd of Whizzards.

24. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

it's true. they played roosevelt stadium in n.j. and roosevelt raceway in westbury, long island several weeks later. i attended both. jesse coling young opened the tour and the westbury show also had joni mitchell and the beach boys.

25. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Great memories for me as well. Grateful Dead & The Band 1973 & 1974.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.