SH Spotlight Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream Video 1966: See the old Charlie Chaplin Studios

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

:righton: OMG !

2. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

Slightly OT, but A&M related. A while ago, I received a copy of a 'liberated' broadcast tape (including all original commercials) of a Hollywood Palace episode from Dec 12, 1967 which featured a raft of A&M artists, including the TJB, Baja Marimba Band, Boyce and Hart, Burt Bacharach. The Wes Montgomery segment is great, the Liza Minielli performance of 'Mammy' less so.

I see that someone has posted it on youtube, the first of 7 parts being found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COPVsJcac38

enjoy !

3. purepopradio

purepopradio Now that's catchy!

Thanks for sharing this, Steve. Brought back some good old memories.

4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Excellent show! Fortunately, The Hollywood Palace was preserved on Videotape (probably ABC Los Angeles). This show looks fantastic given its age...

5. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

It looks better now than on our Admiral 25" set back in the day.

6. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve,

Thanks for sharing the link and your memories. :)

7. Fnarf

Fnarf Forum Resident

What an awesome thread!

8. Fnarf

Fnarf Forum Resident

That Hollywood Palace show was incredible! Three questions:

1. what is the tiny keyboard instrument Sergio Mendes plays during his second song in Part 4? It's sitting on top of the piano, and he "plays" a couple of organ-sounding bits. It's the size of a tiny Casio, but they didn't have Casios in 1967. I know they're miming, but is that even a real instrument? Or just a block of wood painted with keys?

2. Is the shorter of the two girl singers for Brasil '66 Sergio's wife Gracinha Leporace, or Lani Hall?

3. Who's the band behind Boyce and Hart? The guitar player in particular looks familiar. Wrecking Crew?

I could watch stuff like this all day long.

9. mannymarks

mannymarks New Member

I look at grainy, just-post-WWII photos of my parents, sitting on the stone wall outside a neighbor's house and both dressed as though they were going to church, and I laugh at how people used to look nice even in the middle of the week. I see all the dogs they or the random neighbor or their kids are playing with in these photos, and I wonder how old the pets were when they died or what breeds they were. Strange thoughts.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It's Lani Hall in that HOLLYWOOD PALACE.

Gracinha didn't officially join the band until she replaced Lani Hall during the STILLNESS album in around 1971. Gracinha performed with Bossa Rio for a couple of albums in the late '60s, one for A&M and one for Blue Thumb, both produced by Sergio Mendes. Gracinha's debut with Brasil '66 on record though was the song "Lapinha" on the FOOL ON THE HILL album.

Harry

11. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I always wanted one of those 25" floor consoleTV's that they used to give away on "Let's Make A Deal", it seemed like that was a status thing back in the 60's...

Hamhead likes this.
  12. Fnarf

Fnarf Forum Resident

Thank you for this. They were such a great group.

13. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

A "Promo Film" that may have been filmed in 1968 (Or Not!)

I'd recently saw a "Promo Film" for "The Lonely Bull" that was being televised for a Special in 1968,but I don't know if it was for the "Beat Of the Brass" special NBC had or not...looked recent (Well,1968-wise,that is!)..anyone here know?

14. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Look at the manner of dress around now, compared to then, and it's just disgusting.

Back then no one walked down the street wearing greasy tee-shirts, or their underwear hanging out of a pair of old sweatpants. Wasn't done.

15. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

floyd, what a terrific story. Great memories from you and from Steve. Thanks to both of you for sharing them.

16. HGN2001

If you're talking about Herb &The Brass playing "The Lonely Bull" in the stadium seats of a bull ring, that's taken from SINGER PRESENTS HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS' FIRST TV SPECIAL broadcast twice in 1967. It aired in CBS in the spring and then on NBC in the fall of that year. It is from that same special that the "Whipped Cream" video at the A&M "lot", that is the subject of this thread, was shot.

The 1968 special, THE BEAT OF THE BRASS followed the same pattern - airing in the spring first on CBS and repeated on NBC in the fall.

Harry

17. I remember that building. Ex and I drove past it on our honeymoon in June, 1994. Very nice.

18. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Turner Classics runs a filler short with Ben Mankiewicz driving thorugh Hollywood and they drive past the building with a mention of the "Superman"series and "We Are the World" recording. I hope at the end of the day,the A&M days are remembered for more than WATW. A fan of the TJB since the Whipped Cream album,I first saw photos of the studio in the TV Guide article that previewed the first TV special.It just seemed the perfect place for all of this interesting music that everyone,all ages(I was 14 and many grandparents liked the TJB,when did that ever happen?).A few offices in a skyscraper or a dump wouldn't do. This stuff not only had a different sound,it looked different ,too. Still does. The A&M Aura.Never will happen again.Herb and Jerry did it right.

19. HGN2001

Herb Alpert is updating his presence on the Web. He and his nephew Randy Badazz (Alpert) have been working to basically get everything out there. In the initial push, a lot of videos from YouTube have been collected, and newer, cleaner versions are being looked for and cleaned up and added to Vimeo.

Herb's new site is:

http://herbalpertpresents.com/

It's not officially ready for prime time, but is still in development. But I wanted to update this thread with an updated, cleaner version of that old "Whipped Cream" video that was taped on "the Lot" that started this thread.

Go to: www.vimeo.com/57630353

Harry

Ere likes this.
  20. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Now if we could only get Herb to reissue all those mono Lp's and singles the TJB put out. An important part of pop history of the time, but so far, only the stereo. Fortunately tons of all were sold and you can still find minty TJB vinyl for practically nothing if you don't mind venturing out of your lair.

:ed:

21. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

TJB overdue for a catalog reissue. Great thread!

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks Herb and Randy, and Harry for updating us. It was fun to see the clearer video and revisit this thread. :)

23. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

That looks like one of those vintage mini-harmonium / reed organs.

[​IMG]

I wonder if that's Mike Deasy. He definitely worked with them.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yes, much better quality.

HGN2001 likes this.
  25. HGN2001

A few more albums trickled out on Herb's site yesterday, his own MAGIC MAN, and Lani Hall's COLLECTIBLES compilation and her Grammy-winning ES FACIL AMAR.

Harry

Steve Hoffman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.