New Rega RP3 turntable... coming-

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by xyyyy, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert James

Robert James Forum Resident

Me neither.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

3. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Agreed. I'm very curious as to sound quality/reproduction differences w ps3-24, since I own the latter and thought it was best I could afford....

This is the downside of capitalism: sometimes upgrades are quite slight, but just done to increase demand. The ultimate cases are in electric guitars. There are so many different Fender Stratocasters made by Fender--with such slight differences-- that it is utterly ridiculous. At least Honda only changes the Accord every few years, other than building more and more of them each year.

4. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The brace is reminiscent of what Roy Gandy was doing with the P10 prototype that I saw at his house two years ago...

I'll be curious to talk to him and see what he's got to say about the new table!

We'll be comparing the new table to the P3-24 with identical cartridges, so it should be pretty easy to discern the diff.

5. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I imagine you'll do both with and without the PSU? Should be interesting. Have you found out what the platter 'upgrade' is that they list?

6. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Lateral move in the 3 line may not be worth the cost for the change (assuming the RP3 is in fact better, maybe it is maybe it is'nt). If you want a change from the 3, get a P7 or even a Technics SL1200 (which unfortunately are not made anymore, but still readily available new or used).

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The RP3 looks to be a re-design of the P3-24 in many ways: thinner plinth with bracing, thicker glass platter (18mm), and completely new tonearm. The only carry over may be the motor. The sub platter design is still unknown to me. All of these changes would mean Rega made a very considered decision to retool big time. It may turn out that the RP3 is closer to the P5 than the P3-24 in sonic performance. Only an in-depth comparison between these three tables with and without the PSU would tell the full story.

For those who want a mid-priced Rega and are not big fans of the fluted "picture" frame on the P5 or additional strobe effect of the P7 platter (I'm not), the RP3 could be a good option. It could also be a great way to either 1) buy a first TT, 2) upgrade from an earlier P3, or 3) add another table. Of course, at this rate there may be a better looking RP5 with a metal sub platter right around the corner... ;)

8. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Not yet. Going to have a full briefing once I get the table.

Again, knowing Rega, this will probably be an evolutionary change rather than a revolutionary one, so those of you with P3's or P3-24's may not need to think about throwing in the towel just yet.

Anxious to see what they've come up with.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

10. smackrabbit

smackrabbit Forum Resident

Argh, someone has a better contact at Rega than I do.

Chris Heinonen
    Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater
    www.hometheaterhifi.com

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It has not been set in the US yet. I expect it to be under $1k.
    -Bill

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Interested to know if that double brace thing is on the top and the bottom of the main plinth, or an insert. I'm guessing the former. Nice solution to fixing a problem without having to re-engineer a large part of the table.. typical Rega .. and making a feature out of it. I imagine the sound getting lighter and faster.

I never cared for the huge 'framed' design of the upper level regas, though some do.

13. Shawn G

Shawn G New Member

I guess the platter has to be a little thicker to account for the thickness of the brace.....everything else being equal. Hmmmmm

14. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

15. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Chris, weren't you and I on the same Polk Audio trip last year? Drop me a PM and I can help you out with the RP3....

16. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

17. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I wonder What's the R for, maybe Roy's P3? No black as it has always been?

18. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Reeler - the "charcoal" black is as it has always been, just called Cool Grey now (to differentiate from the Titanium (which is also a lighter shade of silvery grey)

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

How about Rega as in "Rega Planar 3"?

"Record Player"

"Roy's Project"

or perhaps...

I just refer to the "Cool Grey" as black and the "Titanium" as silver. Close enough.
    -Bill

20. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

needle doctor has the RP3 in now for $895 without cartridge.

music direct is discounting the P3-24 with external PSU for $995 (no cartridge)

matter of fact, looks like most retailers have the RP3 at $895...decisions, decisions...

21. sushimaster

Bill any idea when you're getting the RP3 in stock?
    I think I'm gonna need a white one.

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Got one. I'll get them as needed for stock and keep a demo from time to time as well.
    -Bill

23. sushimaster

sweet, guess I'll be joining the Rega camp after all!

24. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

You'll really like it. We are just finishing the comparison between the P3-24 and RP3, should go live on Mon or Tues.

But the short story is the new table is better in every way. More bass weight, bigger, airier soundstage and less grain on top as well.

The motor is the same as in the P3-24, but the plinth has been upgraded and the brace between the arm and central hub is derivative of the P10 prototype we saw at Roy Gandy's house two years ago. The arm is quite a bit better as well, which gives this table the ability to get more performance from your cartridge.

We compared the P3-24 to the RP3, side by side, playing identical mofi albums, with both tables having identical Exact cartridges.

Full report with video next week.

And, the guys at the Sound Organisation have held the price to $895 for now, so this is a killer deal too. I think most Rega dealers are offering cartridge deals along with the table. I have to say the Exact makes a nice combination and thanks to Rega's three hole mounting, you can have it set up in less than five min. Pretty cool.

25. sushimaster

Bill, Jeff...many thanks.

I'll be paying my local dealer, Sound World Audio, a visit.
    I just so happen to have three new AT440mla carts that I recently bought when they were having that $99 amazon special.

It'll be most certainly be fun to do my own shootout on my new Technics 1210 M5G, Thorens TD160 (heavily modded) and the new Rega RP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.