Worst mastering you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Ah, ok. I see what you're saying now.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the old MCA CD of "Steppenwolf" that does NOT have the tape drag at the beginning of each song Steve's mastering?

2. tomman888

tomman888 New Member

Sadly, after much research, I feel that the loudness war is a ploy to turn the masses off to music. The worst part is that much money is made in this process.

3. xman

xman Active Member

I vote for this 2006 2-disc set Brunswick compilation. The original songs sparkle on vinyl, i.e; The Chi-Lites, Lost Generation, Tyrone Davis. This CD was not cheap either, around $30.00 buckaroos. It was supposedly mastered from 1st generation tapes (made my mouth water in anticipation). I kept passing it up because of the price. I finally dove in. A major disappointment and ear bleeder. I've only played it once.

Attached Files:

4. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Nazareth - S/T
    Castle remaster from either late 90s or early 00s

Yikes...truly horrendous. Poster boy for ear bleeding, hyper-jacked everything. Pity, as I really like this album.

FYI...the original A&M is no winner, either, but not as bad as this. I kind of think the source material is to blame here.

5. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Not the Japanese 25.8p CD. You'll have to do some looking and waiting around to find one but...pick it up and check out "Heaven Can Wait" and watch your jaw drop.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Just picked up Phil Collins Testify used for $3.99. First CD that I've had to back off the bass -3 in the car. I listen to everything flatlined and I thought the overpowering bass was gonna blow my speakers.

7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

All of his latest albums are bad but I also believe it's the mix as well as the mastering both dictated by someone who is nearly deaf.

The only way I can listen to these CDs are to be in another room or listen to them in my car.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

An icon like Springsteen should really have a trusted friend who is willing to say when he puts out sonic garbage like Magic. I don't give him a pass just because he is an icon and/or half-deaf. Fans deserve better.

9. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Samhain - Initium

The absolute worst mastering! Just completely muffled!

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

do you sometimes wonder if someone, anyone, (even patti) ever sat down to lunch with bruce springsteen, looked him dead in the eye and said, "bruce, do you know "magic" literally sounds like s**t?"

11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Not just him, but for a band who has relied so much on the dynamics of their music for the music's success, REM needs to be lined up against the wall and shot for how severly their last two albums were brickwalled.

12. Delius

Delius Well-Known Member

Pat Benatar's 2006 remasters. Especially In The Heat Of the Night is so unbelievably loud. I'm talking about no low end at all, constant clipping and drum snares that sound like clicks and pops. If anyone can provide with pics of the waveforms from hell, that would be much appreciated! As far as I'm concerned, any future clone of these remasters will most definetely sleep alone.

13. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I have one of the first CD versions of Kiss - Alive! which has a splattery, distorted, grainy high end that makes it pure torture to listen to...a few minutes in and your ear is totally fatigued.

Just a really bad sounding transfer...it reminded me of 'shovelware' in the computer software world since it just seemed to have had no effort made by anybody in the mastering, etc.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I got a Stones "Sticky Fingers" at the used record store last month that sounds like a cassette recording of an AM radio. It's a Rolling Stones Records/CBS CD.

15. joelbertrand

joelbertrand Forum Resident

Beatles 1
    I stopped listening after 3 songs and then sold the CD.

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The US early DADC is the same mastering and sounds exactly the same. I have both. Unless you are collector of the album on CD no need to spend the extra $40 on the 25 8P. I also have the greatly inferior, and frankly lousy, Japan for US mastering that may appear on other issues? The is also an inferior record club mastering. Like many early CD's multiple masterings exist.
    [​IMG]
    This thread has the info: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148729

17. Eman

Eman New Member

Definitely Van Halen remasters. Wish I could shove them................

18. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Some of those US DADC discs sound really good. My favorite Rolling Stones "Black And Blue" DADC beat the US (different plant), Canada, Japan, and Japan for Europe pressings. They are digitically identical, so, for some, any pressing will do. I can easily hear pressing differneces and my DADC "B&B" is going to the grave with me.

19. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

def leppard - hysteria deluxe edition.

20. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

The Virgin edition is a tad better, but don't expect too much.

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Since I last voted in this thread:

Amie Mann: Bachelor No. 2 on SACD
    Madeleine Peyroux: Careless Love

22. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Go 4 Ludwig's '94 Virgin's - no comparison!

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I like the CBS disc (I have two pressings), but the mastering could be better. The sound is a bit pinched. I read the Greg Calbi interview in one of the thread and he went for a rock guitar sound when he mastered it. I wish he left it as a rock and roll album. I don't like the Ludwig remaster and the SHM-SACD is unlistenable (for me) in "flat from the master tape" form. It could have been great if it was mastered (IMO, naturally). The CBS wins by default.

I couldn't make it all the way through the SACD and it belongs in this worst mastering (or no mastering) thread.

24. Lespaul59

Lespaul59 New Member

Too many pages to comb through, but I think any of the RVG's of either prestige or blue note stuff is absolutely atrocious. I won't buy any jazz unless its treated with care and rudy shows an utter disregard for what he put on tape 50 or so years ago by forcing mono and cooking the tapes.

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

No kidding, how come? I have this but haven't heard it in a while. Can't remember what I thought of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.