Next batch of Thin Lizzy "Deluxe Editions" are Bad Reputation, Black Rose & Chinatown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My only complaint and its not a huge deal, but I would like some info in the liner notes as to the sources of the bonus tracks.

For example the five songs on disc two of "BLACK ROSE" seem to be from Nassau sessions which take place earlier than the actual album recording sessions in London and then Paris.

Unless I skimmed over something, I don't see any explanation of what the Nassau sessions are exactly.

Still a great set of music and I love the slow version of "Don't Believe A Word" done as a vocal duart with Gary Moore!:thumbsup:

2. I'd like to see them add a deluxe "Solo in Soho" to this series (or make it a double with The Philip Lynott album and some choice Grand Slamm cuts.)

3. I suggested this to a friend tonight actually! :righton:

I don't know the solo albums or Grand Slam stuff but if they release a nice package of this stuff, I sure would pick it (them) up.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

How do you like CD 1, the original album?

5. I think its a really great album and I am enjoying it very much! :thumbsup:

Can't comment about the mastering however as this is my first copy of "BLACK ROSE"!

Full disclosure: for years (and I mean years) all I thought I needed from Thin Lizzy was a greatest hits and "LIVE AND DANGEROUS" and I thought I was complete.

It's been through the reissues and DVDs that I have been really digging into the catalogue and discovering how much of this band I like.

So now I am pretty much commited to picking up all the DEs and and further DVDs they may release.

Watching the SIGHT AND SOUND 83 show that is part of the "LIVE AND DANGEROUS" DVD right now actually! :thumbsup:

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, cool that you caught on to how great Lizzy are.

ALL of the studio/live albums are essential listening in my opinion.

Also, perhaps overlooked, is the box set, the live UK tour 75, live Still Dangerous at the Tower 1977, and (my favorite) the The Peel Sessions.

And I don't know if you saw the thread on this, but they are working on a BBC recordings box set now.

My favorite Lizzy studio album is Fighting and that one hasn't come out on DE yet - maybe not until next year. If I was a new fan with a thirst for Lizzy I would just buy the regular version of it now in the meantime then get the DE later. You need to hear it if you don't have it yet.

And another recommendation - check out Gary Moore's One Night In Dublin Tribute to Phil Lynott DVD. It's short but it has really great versions of some Phil songs.

7. I do have these.

Really enjoyed the bonus tracks on "CHINATOWN" today! :righton:

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Has anybody compared the deluxe Black Rose to the old Metal Blade version?

9. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Universal is looking for missing BBC sessions for that box set - see my thread from a couple weeks ago at this link for that info:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=256599

Unfortunately I think they've already gone past their cutoff date for assembling stuff for the box set, but if anyone can help out please get in touch via the info in that thread, maybe they have extended things, who knows.

The rest of the albums will hopefully be getting the deluxe treatment eventually but there have not been any announcements on that yet.

11. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Unfortunately, for Lynott's solo material I think they decided to release "Yellow Pearl - The Collection", instead of remastering the two albums. I would've preferred Remastered & Expanded editions of both "Solo In Soho" and "The Philip Lynott Album", with the b-sides added as bonus tracks. Releasing "Yellow Pearl - The Collection" was proberly cheaper for Universal/Spectrum. It's always down to money in the end.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is a shame. I would have loved to have seen a deluxe "Solo In Soho" issued.

13. Too bad.
    Expanded editions with b-sides would be perfect for me!

14. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Expanded Phil Lynott solos would be great. The "Yellow Pearl" collection does contain a few unique mixes. "Solo In Soho" and "Phil Lynott" would have made a excellent 2 CD collection. I bet there were many different mixes / versions they could have used.

I have been listening to "Black Rose" and "Bad Reputation" Is it just me or does "Black Rose" sound louder than "Bad Reputation" ?

I really love "A Night In The Life Of A Blues Singer" on The Bonus Disc. Absolutely stunning GM solo..... This one track is worth the whole disc for me. The slow version of "Don't Believe A Word" is nice too.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Just got my Black Rose deluxe and it rules! Best version I have heard. Better than my old Metal Blade which has some weird EQ thing going on. This deluxe can be cranked without problem, and sounds bad to the bone. I highly recommend it.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Do they plan on doing a deluxe Renegade and Thunder and Lightning? That might be killer if they get the sound right.

17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

If they do, I sure hope they include the track "Memory Pain" with the Deluxe Renegade.

18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Surely they are not going to skip "Night Life" and "Fighting", right? "Fighting" is my favorite TL album.

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I was disappointed Fighting was skipped over, atleast thus far.

I haven't grabbed any of the deluxe editions yet, although they're all on my wishlist. Based on the mixed reviews relative to the sound of the albums themselves I'm thinking the big draw is the BBC stuff which is on the horizon in one big set.

20. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Night Life is possibly my favorite Thin Lizzy album. I'd love to see what extras could be dug up for a deluxe of that one.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I can't imagine why they would skip over fighting.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Afaik there are plans to do all the remaining albums in some type of "deluxe" fashion, but the BBC boxset will be the next thing coming out. I could be wrong though, "best laid plans" and all that...

23. I've been waiting awhile for my local store to get the deluxe "BAD REPUTATION" and today was told that it has been cancelled and replaced with a single disc remaster that has 6 bonus tracks.

Anybody know anything about this?

And did anyone in Toronto actually see the 2 disc DE in shops?

:confused:

24. Sorry guys, just went over the thread from the begining and see that "BAD REPUTATION" has always been planned as a single disc DE.

Now I am excited that my local shop will be getting this soon! :goodie:

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I believe that it was supposed to be a 2 disc "D.E." thing originally but someone connected with the band vetoed using certain tracks that were being discussed, so it ended up just being a 1 CD version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.