Superheavy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jiminiss, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member Thread Starter

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I really like it. Some great talent there, huh?!

3. jiminiss

glad someone else digs it.

I expect it'll generate a slew of hits internationally, and major backlash here at SHMF. :)

4. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I posted the video ( Link ) some time ago.

But it was a "2011"-topic, so it was ignored by "almost" everybody :)

Sad trend here at the forum.

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I really like this. I am probably one of the few people on here that is a fan of Joss Stone and NOT Mick Jagger! I don't hate him or anything, but I don't own a single CD or LP of his/the Stones. I am surprised that their voices blend so well. I'm sure critics will hate it, along with the RS fans, but I think it's very good!

6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Well, you stated my opinion also. Good vocal blend, and Joss is HOT.

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Fun, but the clip would be even more fun if any camera shot lasted longer than one second.

8. jiminiss

I'll disregard that

:)

9. jiminiss

I'll disregard that

:)

sorry, can't contain my wiseguy bs. it's a good point. the thing was obviously made as a teaser!

10. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Sounds good! And this is coming from someone who really does not like Reggae at all, much less the "Waiting on a Friend"-era Stones sound, and "Miracle Worker" really combines those two for something special!

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love the fusion of different genre and the parties involved here. This is not another Mick Jagger Band project. This is a breath of fresh air.

12. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

It's Mick's best work in a long time.

Joss Stone is very talentful. But I think she worked with the wrong producers for some time ... The first single of her new album sounds good.

13. well, maybe this one song is allright, but the album as a whole got very very bad reviews by most critics over here in The Netherlands

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I like it but my son will love it.

15. jiminiss

critics shmitics

16. sure, but the thing is....

check out the actual album, it's available on Spotify; try to listen through the production gimmicks and the loudness, don't be too distracted by Stone's vocal antics, just check the songs, I'd be surprised if there's a single one that's gonna be remembered a year from now... :o

and yes, I know, Stone's voice is great, as there's lots of other individual talent in this project, but does that make a great band or album? No, just overhyped supergroup sillyness in this case... :rolleyes:

17. jiminiss

oh you cynic, you :)! even my pollyanna ears see that it could well be that it ages and proves to be today's lava cake ( tastes great on 1st byte but by the end, or by the next time you eat it, you recognize that it's pretty lousy chocolate and mediocre vanilla icecream).

but for the moment it is the 1st time that I hear Stone's voice being used in a way that rings true to me; and i'm really enjoying marley's vocal "spurts"and the sing-songy Bollywoody settings.

do i think it'll stand the test of time as if it's Beethoven's 9th, Who's Next, Natty Dread or Kind of Blue? No. But it may well stand up as well as Pleasent Valley Sunday, Crimson n' Clover and Dirty Water (all of which bring a smile to my face and make me tap my foot 40 years down the road.

I don't think it's pure crap. You do. I hope your're wrong.

18. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

When I first heard of this effort, I was ready to write it off as silliness. After all, I don't see 'supergroup' when I read the list of band members - diminutive R&R leprechaun aside. The track that they released to Sirius radio didn't help much.

But I am here to eat crow. The album is available on Spotify and I spent the morning listening. This is a very cohesive album and the group really sounds like a group. For those who think this is a Jagger vanity project, he is present but does not stick out significantly from his bandmates. The music is varied and has a great vibe. The rock/raggae/soul casserole really works and sounds like nothing else out there now.

Give this album a spin. It is better than any of the pre-press would have you believe.

19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Joss Stone
    The fifth Stone??

Headline:
    Stone joins Stones
    makes pebbles...

20. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Mick looks like he's having fun.
    check out the "making of..." video.
    must have been nice making a record, having some fun without dealing with 50 years of Stones baggage. Genius he may be, Keith can't be easy to work with.
    It's a lightweight record though. Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Touch, Who's that Girl or whatever this is not.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think the single is pretty good ... hope the album itself is likewise decent.

22. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

After a few days of listening there are some tracks that stand out. Some don't work as well as others. I appreciate the different cultures and musicianship happening here. Loving the fuse of Jagger & Stone on "Rock Me Gently" and "I Don't Mind" Marley comes in on these two tracks and he caps it off. Jagger plays some smoking harp on "Energy" It has a fragment of the hook from "Get Off My Cloud' stolen by Mick himself.

I hear that "Satyameva Jayathe" is a huge hit in India. Jagger has a rolling stone alone moment with "Never Gonna Change" and on "One Day One Night" sings with Marley about Vodka and Splif respectfully to each his own. "Warring People" (bonus tracks) is a wierd mix of India, English Buttons Jagger, Stone doing Dusty and Marley being Marley.

I haven't got a headache yet from the minimum of mastering loudness. LOL. The music has taken the over. I want the Vinyl too. It hasn't shipped yet.

It would be interesting if they toured.

23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

This is a concert/show that I'd definitely attend. I wouldn't miss it. Here's to your statement coming true.

:cheers:

24. The critics here in the UK are ripping it but I will give it a listen.

25. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I watched the video and thought Joss sang circles around Mick . . . which I did not expect at all. I thought Mick was the weakest link of the whole track (and I am a big Stones fan).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.