The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

removed because Bob beat me to it by 3 minutes....

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Off by a year, Paul. Silva's discography claims the orchestra tracks were recorded October 6, 1976, and the vocals on the evening of February 15, 1977. Other sources state the vocal session was February 16, 1977, with the orchestra session the previous day.

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The tempo is too fast, makes the Chairman's efforts to work his phrasing on it a bit like a 16 wheeler negotiating a hairpin turn. If he'd been there, with the band, he might have told them to slow it down.

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I picked up a copy of The Rare Sinatra U.K. Capitol LP, compiled by Alan Dell and mastered by John Kurlander. A few less than best tape sources aside, it has some really nice sounding cuts on it. Nice vinyl, too.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yep, I bought that one when it was new, and I still regard it very, very highly. It's amazing that some of those tracks sat in the vaults all those years!

Also...

Regarding the MY WAY Concord reissue, jabbo5150 wrote (in part one of this thread):
    Wow -- I've been listening to a stereo recording of the Mutual Radio broadcast of that night's Dallas concert, and the sound is excellent, then I A/B'd it with the same track on this CD, and the new version is an absolute sonic abomination by comparison; shrill, stark, compressed, and cold.

Well, that's twenty+ years of technological progress, I guess! :shake:

Matt

6. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Is this the suit you mean, Bob? Some people who went to see Bobby Darin in Vegas in 1969 walked out when he appeared in jeans and a jean jacket and singing folk type stuff. I wonder what Bobby's reaction would have been to Frank coming out on stage in this thing accompanied with a disco arrangement. I think he may have laughed pretty hard.

Pal Joey, where are you?

Attached Files:

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Leisure suits, as they were then called, were VERY much in fashion during that period and many a Sunday night performance back then saw Mr. S in his vast selection of them...mostly dark colored. He saved the light colored ones for the Summer outdoor venues like the Garden State Arts Center.

8. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

He should have saved all of them for Halloween.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Actually, at the Westchester Premier Theatre I attended a performance where he wore a black leisure suit and he looked damned dapper in it!

10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

11. MLutthans

Looks like out-of-copyright-in-Europe mono stuff to me. Probably awful, but I haven't heard it. (It sure ain't an official EMI release!)

Matt

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Likely awful, at least judging by the sample I mentioned. Going for 150 bucks on ebay!

13. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Listening to sound samples on Amazon seems like some good Capitol Collectors Series or Capitol Years tracks like String are mixed with the Capitol Singles Collection, like My Girl. EU crap market is the verdict here.

I don't know what sounds 'weird' about String. It sounds pretty good, because it was taken from a good legit source. Nothing to see here folks, move on.

14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Can anyone comment on two CD compilations (both on Capitol-EMI), "Screen Sinatra" and "Frank Sinatra Sings The Select Cole Porter" - especially regarding the SQ. Both look like interesting one disc themed collections. I really enjoy the "Sinatra Sings The Songs of Van Heusen and Cahn" compilation (Reprise label) and was hoping these two lived up to the same standard.

15. MLutthans

I stumbled upon this USA 1E pressing on Saturday. Why no picture of Frank on the label? Just a goof?

Matt

Attached Files:

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

COLLECTOR'S ITEM fer sure!!!!:thumbsup:

17. MLutthans

Oops. Should have bought it, I guess. Saw it at a record show and didn't get it. Just took a picture!

Matt

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They put the whole wrong label style on it - that's the "Pop Series" Steamboat label, from around 1964 or so. While the layout is the same as the Frank labels, the colors are different.

19. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Has anybody read of the Sony/ Columbia "Voice in Time" boxed set, black cube "deluxe" edition, going out of print? I tried to get a few for Christmas presents, and found some online for a decent price. A Nashville brick and mortar, however, said that he couldn't order it for me...although the longbox version he said was available.

Indeed, on amazon.com it is showing third party sellers as of this writing.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This appears to be the case. Only the 5x10 "longbox" version is still listed at the Legacy Recordings website.

21. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Isn't it a shame Bob? I thought this black cube version among the classiest packages on the market. It was just beautiful. The book was a bit hard to read, but the packaging and the quality of the music was wonderful.

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Not new information about Spanish boots or MFSl issues, but I just gave my little brother a copy of the 3 CD set The Capitol Years for his birthday. He has broad tastes in music but somehow has never really dived into the Sinatra catalog. He just informed me that "we are addicted to the Sinatra Set."

It is cheaper than ever and still sounds pretty good, if you know someone that needs a Christmas gift. It is the perfect introduction to Sinatra.

MMM, Bob F and MLutthans like this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just thought I'd find a Sinatra thread and say....

HAPPY 97th BIRTHDAY MR. S!!!! Though you physically left us years ago, you are still with me!

I've been listening to WNEW's 24 hr. Birthday Bash online all day at work!:love:

Bob F and Dugan like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

You own no Sinatra. You want to start with one SACD reissue.

Which one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.