'beats by Dr. Dre' Earbuds - how do they sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deville, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Neat. I hope they work well for you. I don't know if you got the $90 or $150 kit. The $150 kit comes with more accessories, but the actual earphones are the same.

One thing the more expensive kit comes with is a foam "Comply" tip. The foam tips are like foam earplugs. You squish the foam to fit them in the ear then the foam expands to seal the ear. The foam can offer a more secure fit and better isolation than the silicone tips. But the foam tips are more bother to take in and out. So maybe foam tips would be better for the live monitoring and you could switch to silicone tips for casual listening. Comply is a brand name. You can buy Comply tips that will fit the Phonak from a variety of sources like Amazon, HeadRoom, and others.

Here's a tip on how to get in-ear headphones in your ears. It's a youtube video that shows the method. It's not in English, but the subtitles are in English. My 10 seconds of google-fu didn't find the English guide I was looking for. This video will do. With your right arm reach around the back of your head and grab the top of your left ear. Stretch the ear up to open and straighten the ear opening. Fit the earphone in. Release. That method will make it easier to fit the earphone in deeper and more consistently than just trying to shove the thing in.

It will be interesting to find out how well they work for the live monitoring. I've never done live playing with monitors and a PA so I'm curious.

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I guess some MOFI engineers preferred the midrange scoop too. Or the speakers they used to master had a frowny face EQ.

3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Conjecture requires no evidence

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

The next time I gather with my rap listening posse, I'll ask them if they like midrange scoop. :laugh:

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Conjecture is no evidence. So, it is not widely believed, but believed by you. I do not agree with your opinion because I need to see some evidence to support it.

6. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Comply tips are great, and you can get them for almost any IEM made. You can even get Comply tips for stock Apple iPod earbuds. You can also buy directly from Comply https://www.complyfoam.com/

I bought some for my Grado GR8's and they definitely isolate better than the silicone tips.

7. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

con·jec·ture

   /kənˈdʒɛk[​IMG]tʃər/ [​IMG] Show Spelled [kuh[​IMG]n-jek-cher] [​IMG] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing.
    noun 1. the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.

2. an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.

Dre's headphones are one example. You don't think that most rap fans like the sound of goosed bass and treble? Ever been in the car with teenagers?

8. Grant

I did some digging and I could not find one single review that said how accurate the Beats headphones are. They all raved about the clean, loud bass, but that's it.

9. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I don't care too much for any IEM but of the ones I've tried (and no I haven't tried them all) the Etymotic phones are the best. They are reasonably comfortable, do a terrific job of isolating -- enough so that I can listen in a loud environment and still keep the volume reasonable and they are durable with no outrageous tone boost. They are within your budget. I'm not talking custom molds, which in work situations would be a waste since my work (and yours) requires me to move around so that a custom fit would drift with my movement. Musicians need ear protection as much as monitoring.

My thoughts anyway. Good luck.

10. Grant

I have been in cars and trucks with twenty-something bass nuts who literally destroy their vehicles' suspension by adding fifteen woofers/subs, and have amps that require three car batteries to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.