What's the goriest movie you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

It seems today that young directors are competing amongst themselves to push the envelope on gore. I saw two movies recently that went past the envelope.

Hobo With A Shotgun-There must be dozens of scenes in which somebody is blown apart, or has a body part dismembered in very graphic detail. And then there's the scene where, after a school bus full of kids is torched by one of the villains, a charred skeleton of one of the kids is displayed.

Inside-A movie from France about a woman who goes on a rampage to get a baby from a woman who is still pregnant, because she lost her own baby in a car accident involving the other woman. You don't want to know how she finally gets the baby, and this is after her face is scalded by the expectant mother.

2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I assume we are only talking realistic gore.

If over the top fake gore counts nothing will ever beat the Herschell Gordon Lewis movies. They are just such over the top cheesy, hey look at how much gore this is, oh wait here is more kayo syrup, gore.

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

:agree:

4. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

Saving Private Ryan (if you're talking realistic gore)

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

"Tales From the Crypt"..Oh,Wait,"Realistic Gore??" Then,my choice is "The French Connection",the true story of "Popeye" Doyle!:righton:

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yes. That one made my stomach turn a little when I sw it for the first time. But I'm glad they made it realistic. Fantastic effects.

7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Faces of Death

8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Driver Education films in 9th grade.

For those that missed them, here's a documentary about them.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      25.8 KB
      Views:
  9. When I grew up in Germany documentary films about the Holocaust were mandatory in junior high, these images will never leave you.

Hollywood gore has never really bothered me that much but there certainly is a trend to outdo each other that's been going on for a long time. When the story takes a backseat to the gore you will have lost me.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The goriest things I used to see -- fleetingly, until I looked away or closed my eyes -- were surgical instructional films that would play on one of our public access cable channels. I had a roommate who delighted in grossing out everyone by switching to this channel in the middle of Sunday football games. We'd look up from our nachos to find someone, close up and with bright lighting, undergoing hip surgery or an eye popped out of its socket.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Peter Jackson's Dead Alive (a.k.a. Braindead) is usually regarded as the goriest horror flick of all time.... over 300 litres of blood were used during the infamous lawnmower scene alone!

Gotta check that one out.... sounds like my kinda film! :righton:

I'm not easily grossed out, but this movie definitely had a few "ewwwww" moments! ;)

The gore is indeed realistic and very effective.... but if we're talking "goriest" in terms of quantity of gore, then SVP is nowhere near the top of the list.... probably wouldn't even make the list at all, actually.... still an excellent film, though ;)

12. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Oh God, I remember those films. One particular gruesome scene involved 2 men in a car that run into the back end of a semi. They should the bodies being cut out of the car, made me sick to my stomach.

But you know what? Seeing those films made a lot of the students in my HS become very aware of safety while driving....This was in 1976

13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

hostle

14. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

The Passion of the Christ (Mel Gibson). 'Nuff said.

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

This would be my choice. And it just came out on blu-ray this week.

As for goriest "war" film, I'd say that the new Rambo movie had about the goriest effects from large-caliber weaponry I've ever seen.

16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

While doing my first aid training there was a rather disgusting video of people who had arms, legs and feet pointing in some very unusual ways.

17. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

The French horror film "Martyrs" has to be up there. Extremely brutal and gruesome.

Dead Alive and Riki-Oh: The Story Of Ricky are insanely gory, but not realistic.

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

We watched an OSHA training video years ago that showed bloody stumps.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"French Connection" is the goriest movie you've ever seen??? :confused:

20. boots

boots Chokma!

Masters of Horror "Jenifer" was a little unsettling.:(

21. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Africa Addio is certainly up there. Shocking and graphic - and all 'real'.

22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Their is a French film, I think(not home) that is called "High Tension" about a physco friend of a woman who come to the friends house and muders of the most gruesome happen in the form of a truck driving, perverted 300lb man but, well its a surprise, I wont tell. I thought it was a good movie in addition to the blood more than gore. Take care, John M.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, that was brutal I own the DVD.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dead Alive...yes! brutal for the time.

25. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Funny after looking at the title of this thread, Inside was exactly the film I was thinking.

Hobo With A Shotgun was too cartoonish, kinda lost the impact that way.

Quite a few Japanese exploitation movies, mainly from the 80s, are super gory, such as the Entrails of a Virgin series, the Evil Dead Trap series. Extreme over the top stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.