New Bob Seger hits CD: "Ultimate Hits: Rock And Roll Never Forgets"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GroovinGarrett, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden Thread Starter

From WOMC-FM Detroit:

"Bob Seger is hitting the road again in November and he also is releasing a new, double-disc career retrospective titled Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets. The album is due in stores on November 21st. The album will also be made available on iTunes and Amazon.

The two disc collection features 26 classic Seger hits, including his latest “Hey Hey Hey Hey (Going Back to Birmingham)” and “Little Drummer Boy” of the 1987 A Very Special Christmas charity album.

His new album which was supposed to be released this fall, has been bumped to 2012."

Listen to the new track "Hey Hey Hey Hey (Going Back to Birmingham)" HERE

Haven't found a track listing yet, nothing on Amazon, just a listing on CD Universe with the cover art: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8313166

Attached Files:

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This could be interesting depending on the track listing. Hopefully it's not just Greatest Hits 1 and 2 stuck together with a few new songs.

3. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

My bet is it is exactly that - Greatest Hits 1 & 2 with a few new tracks. C'mon Mr. Seger, how about a big box set with lots of unreleased tracks?

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. stever

stever Senior Member

I saw Bob Seger May 10 in Omaha and I'd go see him again in a heartbeat. Is there a track listing somewhere for this? Also, has he published the dates/locations for the new tour?

5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

It beter have "Jody Girl" and "Ship of Fools" on it

6. GroovinGarrett

with modern mastering to boot. :mad:

At least the first Greatest Hits sounded good, mastered by Wally Traugott.

7. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

+2

I fear that we will never get the collection that we, the fans, have been dreaming of for decades. Hell, he won't even release his full core catalogue! It's tough being a Seger fan.

8. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Disc 1: Old Time Rock and Roll, Hollywood Nights, Night Moves, Mainstreet, Roll Me Away, Turn the Page, Her Strut, Still the Same, You'll Accomp'ny Me, We've Got Tonight, Like a Rock, Fire Lake, Tryin' to Live My Life Without You

Disc 2: Rock and Roll Never Forgets, Against the Wind, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, The Fire Down Below, Travelin' Man (Live), Beautiful Loser (Live), Shakedown, Shame on the Moon, Katmandu, Little Drummer Boy, Wait For Me, Hey Hey Hey Hey (Going Back to Birmingham) (New in 2011), Downtown Train (New in 2011)

9. GroovinGarrett

apple-richard for the win.

If it's the studio version of "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" and not the Live Bullet version, I'll be shocked. What a crock.

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

With a track listing like that it better be budget priced. :(

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My ears are STILL hurting after spinning that newly mastered "Nine Tonight" CD! I was also shocked how Bob says that these new discs were really done with care and then you hear the bonus track, "Brave Strangers" have the applause at the end, abruptly stop, as if someone just hits the stop button on a CD player. Yeah, thanks for the extra care, Bob!

12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

do not like the track list.... Seger needs to go Deep into his catalogue...

13. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

It's missing several Top 20 hits!:realmad:

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Bob Seger must hate the song "Even Now". The #12 single never makes it on a hits compilation.

duggan likes this.
  15. GroovinGarrett

I wonder if he has a beef with The Distance in general. It's only available in print as an Amazon on-demand CD-R or on iTunes, never been part of a remaster campaign.

16. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Seger Hits

I'll pass on this one. It is too loaded with the predictable hits that are already overplayed on Classic Rock stations.

I guess that hoping for the early non-album hits and out of print albums is too much to ask for. If not that then at least a career overview would have been better.

I just don't need to hear a collection loaded with the hits off the albums from Night Moves through Against the Wind.

Scott

17. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

A well-mastered box set is what we need and will not get anytime soon.

18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

In my opinion it's probably the weakest album of his post-Live Bullet career (i.e. the albums that actually sold outside of Michigan), although I do love "Roll Me Away". Then again, given that Seger apparently hates Back in '72, I'm not sure if I trust him to be a very good judge of his own work!

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

That and Heavy Music and Feel Like a Number are glaring omissions. Heavy Music's owned by Cameo though but the other two are Capitol tracks.

20. music4life

music4life Senior Member

What's with the subtitle "Going Back to Birmingham" on "Hey Hey Hey Hey"?
    Let's see I already have "Downtown Train" on a CD single, so all I need is the above which if I have to I'll download. Why include "Little Drummer Boy" on a retrospective? I hate Christmas songs on these type of collections. This whole package is a missed opportunity...

21. GroovinGarrett

Seger and Punch own the Hideout tracks that were leased to Cameo-Parkway, at least that's what I was told around the time the ABKCO C-P box came out.

22. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a CD set called Ultimate Hits. Did you really expect to hear Tales Of Lucy Blue, Noah and Heavy Music on it? There are a few Top 20 songs missing, presumably in favor of adding a few new(er) songs. Hey Hey Hey Hey sounds pretty good to me. As a note, the single and subtitle, Rock & Roll Never Forgets peaked at #43, not exactly his highest-charting, or most memorable single. Ron

PS Missing Top 20

Even Now # 12
    Understanding #17
    American Storm #13

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Ten Years After listed this track as "Going Back To Birmingham" on their Positive Vibrations album. The Beatles didn't originally credit "Hey Hey Hey Hey" as part of Kansas City, though they used the second half of the song in medley form (as Little Richard did live). Ron

24. Gene

Gene Active Member

Replace Drummer Boy w/Feels Like a Number and it's a bit better..

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'll pass on this one.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.