New Bob Seger hits CD: "Ultimate Hits: Rock And Roll Never Forgets"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GroovinGarrett, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident

Three of my favorite songs. Weak. Lame.

2. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

True dat. Punch said that in a newspaper interview when he sued C-P over their inclusion in the ABKCO C-P box. Apparently, ABKCO violated the terms of the original lease by stopping payments when the label shut down. An out of court settlement was arrived at according to Punch.

Derek

3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's less than 30 songs on a 2-CD package. I've seen better representation for other artists on Ronco releases. Hell, I'm half tempted to go back to all the old vinyl and do my own GREATest hits comp. This is way past ridiculous with the Seger catalog :realmad:

4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Track list with notes. Looks like Bob's teasing us with original studio cuts we WANT to hear....

Disc 1

• Old Time Rock and Roll
    • Hollywood Nights
    • Night Moves
    • Mainstreet
    • Roll Me Away
    • Turn the Page – Bob Seger
    • Her Strut
    • Still the Same
    • You’ll Accomp’ny Me
    • We’ve Got Tonight
    • Like a Rock
    • Fire Lake
    • Tryin’ to Live My Life Without You (Live)

Disc 2

• Rock and Roll Never Forgets
    • Against the Wind
    • Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man (Mono Single Version) – The Bob Seger System
    • The Fire Down Below
    • Travelin’ Man (Live)
    • Beautiful Loser (Live)
    • Shakedown – Bob Seger
    • Shame on the Moon
    • Katmandu – Bob Seger
    • Little Drummer Boy
    • Wait for Me – Bob Seger
    • Hey Hey Hey Hey (Going Back to Birmingham) – Bob Seger
    • Downtown Train

Disc 1, Tracks 1-2, 8 and 10 from Stranger in Town (Capitol, 1978)
    Disc 1, Tracks 3-4 and Disc 2, Tracks 1 and 4 from Night Moves (Capitol, 1976)
    Disc 1, Track 5 and Disc 2, Track 8 from The Distance (Capitol, 1982)
    Disc 1, Track 6 from Back in ’72 (Capitol, 1973)
    Disc 1, Tracks 7, 9 and 12 and Disc 2, Track 2 from Against the Wind (Capitol, 1980)
    Disc 1, Track 11 from Like a Rock (Capitol, 1986)
    Disc 1, Track 13 from Nine Tonight (Capitol, 1981)
    Disc 2, Track 3 from Capitol single 2297, 1968. Original version from Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man (Capitol, 1968)
    Disc 2, Tracks 5-6 from ‘Live’ Bullet (Capitol, 1976)
    Disc 2, Track 7 from Beverly Hills Cop II: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (MCA, 1987)
    Disc 2, Track 9 from Beautiful Loser (Capitol, 1975)
    Disc 2, Track 10 from A Very Special Christmas (A&M, 1987)
    Disc 2, Track 11 from Face the Promise (Capitol, 2006)
    Disc 2, Track 12 previously unreleased
    Disc 2, Track 13 recorded 1989, previously unreleased

5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yea I know, but both of his earlier Greatest Hits albums contained "new" tracks, previously not available that kept some hit songs from being included. The hope is that the mastering is better this time, especially on the tracks that made up the original Volume II CD. I think lots of us make Hits CD comps with tracks WE favor and we tend to max out the playing time as long as possible. Labels rarely do this. In this case, I'm sure Seger selected the tracks he wanted to include. Artistic rights and all that. Ron

6. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Never gonna happen. Does Slob Seger have kids? Maybe when he kicks it, his estate will issue the goods.
    Sometimes that's exactly what it takes.
    Did you actually expect more? With a few exceptions, the guy is embarrassed by most everything he did pre-1970. I recently found a Seger radio spot from 1970-ish for the Air Force ROTC. Two years prior he was still writing/singing protest songs. Where did it all go wrong Bob?

7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I think he's actually embarrased by anything before "Beautiful Loser" (with the exception of "Smokin' OP's") since all of those albums are OOP.

At this point I wouldve welcomed another skimpy "Early Seger" CD than this...

8. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Actually yes -- With the Early Seger Vol 1 comp, and the talk about doing something more with that idea in mind. Frankly, I don't want to shell out $20 to get a CD set with the studio versions of Turn The Page and the mono Ramblin' Gamblin' Man as the only tracks from that package I'd like to "officially" own... A real bad deal :shake:

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Worthless comp. Not buying for the one new song. I'll just get his new album when it comes out, as it will likely be on there.

10. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

I'm gonna pass on this too.

No doubt the mastering will most likely suck and don't even get me started on that feeble track listing.

11. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden Thread Starter

The mono 45 version of "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" and the Back in '72 version of "Turn The Page" are the only interesting things here, but even they have been released on official Capitol CD's: "Ramblin'" on the album/CD of the same name in the 1990's, and "Turn The Page" on a Capitol CD single.

The average Joe or Jane Mullet that picks this up on impulse at Walmart isn't even going to be familiar with the studio version of "Turn The Page"....

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well I may as pile on here as well.....

Surprised that "Like A Rock" nor "The Fire Inside" made this compilation, both were later US Top 10 hits for him.
    FWIW, I'd toss "Shame On The Moon" and "Katmandu", and include the 2 above.

And while I like "Heavy Music" a lot, I don't think a live number that features a fairly long call and response section rates a slot on a compilation. Its perfect just where it is, imo...

13. GroovinGarrett

Like A Truck is on disc one, track 11.

14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Question...

I'm not a big Seger fan although I do love quite a few of his tunes. But there was one thing I was always curious about...

The Eagles song "The Long Run" is sometimes shown as being co-written with Bob Seger. But at the same time that song was popular (or close to it), Bob released "Trying to Live My Life Without You" which is basically the same song as "The Long Run" (and a cover at that).

What's the story with this? Did Bob write "The Long Run" with the Eagles... and why did he release a nearly identical song that would surely undermine the credibility of that tune?

15. Ivan Sane

Ivan Sane New Member

The cover says "Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band". There goes any hopes of having all his charted hits (some with The Bob Seger System) on one collection.

And why do all his hits albums have him pictured standing by railroad tracks? Did he miss the train?

16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Must have something to do with being from Michigan. :D

Attached Files:

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Ooh...It's got Old Time Rock and Roll and Like a Rock. Any Seger collection with those two deep, infrequently anthologized, tracks is worth a spin. It appears someone took some time to get this one right.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Is this correct? What did he do record it at the same time as Rod Stewart? Did he need Rod Stewart to teach him how to properly steal a cover, establish a Swiss bank account and hide royalties?

19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That will NEVER happen. Seger/Punch doesn't want the 60s/eraly 70s stuff we hope for released. No point in going on about it. Unfortunately.

20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

At the risk of assuming this is not an attempt to be humorous, the home grown fan is the antithesis of this way of thinking. Old Time Rock and Roll and Like A Rock have their place in the Seger cadre, but to be sure these cuts are not at all regarded as the most vital and immediate work in the Seger catalog. In fact, for many locals, the music of his youth, while often imperfectly recorded or executed, is the foundation of his success. The early singles leading up to Live Bullet is when Seger was in his power surge. Night Moves makes a tremendous capper to an explosive early body of work.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It was kwadguy so yes it was an attempt to be humorous. He usually succeeds.

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Seriously gang, like I said earlier, who cares what's on this new set, because it's going to be loud as hell, even shying away, the most durable bricks and walls, in it's path!

The most any of us could ever hope for, is if somebody knows either Bob or Punch and sit them down and re-play them Hoffman's DCC disc and remind them how good Seger CAN sound.

23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I would stack a well mastered box set of Seger's early albums alongside anything else I own. That's how important his music has been to me.

24. Yeah, good to see that the Chevy commercial made it on.

25. GroovinGarrett

kwadguy, the king of comedy. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.