Billy Crystal-Bruno Kirby "feud"...does anyone know the details?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

When character actor Bruno Kirby passed away in 2006, it had been almost 15 years since he was apparently blackballed in Hollywood by Billy Crystal after the making of "City Slickers"...Kirby, who won critical notice as Crystal's foil in "When Harry Met Sally" and "City Slickers"...to go along with his scene-stealing appearance in "Good Morning Vietnam", virtually disappeared from the mainstream...only appearing in much smaller roles in much smaller films.

Crystal's side in this has never come out, but something happened between them...

Here's a great blogpost about the "feud" that was done right after Kirby's death...

http://nicholasstixuncensored.blogspot.com/2006/08/bruno-kirby-rest-in-peace-pal.html

Does anyone know any more?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He did do a half-dozen more films after City Slickers, but only in minor roles. All Wikipedia says is:

Kirby and comedian Billy Crystal made a popular screen team in "When Harry Met Sally..." (1989) and "City Slickers" (1991). Both featured Kirby's character as the opinionated best friend to Crystal's character. However, Kirby refused to sign on for the sequel "City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold" unless script changes were made.

I thought the sequel was awful, and the film suffered from Kirby's absence. I've worked on a few Billy Crystal projects, and all I can say is, Crystal is definitely the guy in control -- I don't think he's look for collaboration. One could argue that there are two sides to this argument; maybe Kirby was too pushy, and Crystal was too egotistical.

Note that Crystal has not had a lot of hit films in the last 10 years. I worked a bit on Tooth Fairy, which was completely unwatchable and horrible beyond belief.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ehh, "Tooth Fairy" isn't THAT bad. It has a nice cast and a few mildly amusing moments.

I think "City Slickers" - the original - was a big lump of dull nothing, though...

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

"It's not fun, and it's not funny."

(Howard Stern fans will know what that statement means...)

5. AdamK

AdamK Forum Resident

I remember reading about this years and years ago. Sounds like it was a clash of egos, possibly on the first City Slickers movie. I think that Kirby thought the movie was more about the three guys but Crystal thought it was more about him.

I do remember somebody quoting Kirby as saying something like, "I've worked with Coppola... etc." Basically trying to tout his bona fides.

I thought this line in the article was pretty over the top though:

I liked the guy and all, but c'mon...

6. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

If Crystal blackballed Kirby who black balled Crystal. I can't think of the last Billy Crystal movie anyone cared about. I'm sure they just had a fight over a script and Crystal freaked out. I don't Billy Crystal has any real power to to blackball anyone. If anything distancing himself from Crystal has probably been a plus.

7. dirwuf

Perhaps 'blackballed' is too strong a word, but the fact remains that after his falling out with Crystal, Kirby never had another significant role...and Crystal did wield a lot of power back then.

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Billy Crystal certainly doesn't have/didn't have the power to blackball anyone. I've heard of ego issues with both of them.

Crystal has been trying to get "Damn Yankees" made for several years with himself as the devil, but no one's biting.

Jeff

9. dirwuf

Didn't he already play the devil in "Deconstructing Harry"?

...now THIS is the part Jon Lovitz was born to play ;)

10. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I always liked Bruno Kirby.I thought he was great as the young Clemenza in Godfather Pt. 2

11. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

If this is the case, I can see why Kirby wanted script revisions to City Slickers II.
    Even in the released form, it kinda sucked. I wonder how bad it was before the changes occurred?

12. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Yeah, that's what surprised me. This is the first I've heard about any of this, so the idea that Crystal could actually blackball someone striked me as odd. Despite his success back then, I still wouldn't think he wielded enough power to make sure Kirby didn't get a big role. I can't imagine any producer/director being afraid of having the wrath of Billy Crystal brought down upon them. What is he going to do? Make fun of them at the Oscars?

All that being said, I've always wondered why Kirby didn't have more roles.

13. Oatsdad

Probably "Analyze This" - or "Monsters Inc.", if you want to count animated flicks.

In Crystal's semi-defense, he hasn't worked much over the last 10 years, and I would imagine a lot of that was self-imposed semi-retirement. I guess it's possible no one wanted to hire him, but that seems unlikely - he was too big a star with too many successes to simply vanish like that unless it was his choice, IMO...

14. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I can't remember where I saw it but I recall seeing that Kirby started wanting huge money starting with CS2 and thats why he wasn't getting hired.

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Name anyone in the cast of City Slickers that had much of a career over the past decade.

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

So, in other words, you have no actual proof that Crystal "apparently blackballed" Kirby. You're just guessing or assuming that that is why Kirby's career nosedived?

17. Ivan Sane

Ivan Sane New Member

Both of them had small parts in This Is Spinal Tap. Was that their first project together?

18. dirwuf

I'm not the only one...read the link in my original post. Even an entertainment reporter questioned Crystal about it...

Perhaps it's just a coincidence..that's why I asked for more info.

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks, I'm a big fan of Bruno Kirby.

20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

You can pick dozens of stars and try to make up a reason why their career faded.

Ever since David Spade had that personal assistant arrested for trying to kill him on his front lawn David Spades career has gone no where. Man who would think David Spades personal assistant would have enough power to black list him like that.

21. Spade's personal assistant wasn't Steven Spielberg was he?:angel:

22. Oatsdad

If we trust IMDB, yup. Apparently they were only in three movies together: "Tap", "When Harry Met Sally" and "City Slickers".

Of course, it's a stretch to call "Tap" their project TOGETHER - both had small roles and never were on-screen at the same time...

23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Bruno Kirby was hardly leading man material...lots of character actors come and go...maybe he was like Joe Pesci and such a giant pain in the a** nobody wanted to work with him

24. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Bruno was perfect in When Harry met Sally.

25. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Craig Ferguson has been using "..The Legend of Curly's Gold.."
    as a punch line for years now, with good effect...

..and with good reason, "..The Legend of Curly's Gold" was just awful !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.