Miles Davis - The Definitive Bootleg Series Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I think even Sony/Columbia must consider the recent "Miles Davis Bootleg Vol. 1" a success. I think it's the most promising jazz reissue in some time, because it could be an excellent beginning to a really beneficial series for the fan and collector.

If anyone has any inside information or insight into what will be next in the series, please share. And here's a good place to list hoped-for future issues. And let's have fun and guess what may be next.

I have no insight or information about upcoming volumes--or even a confirmation that this WILL BE a continuing series. Assuming (hoping!) that there will be forthcoming volumes, my guess is that the next will be a collection of 1973 European recordings. As it seems possible future volumes may be planned to include DVD concerts, and there are several televised appearances from this tour that could be cleaned up and made available, just as we had in the first volume. And there are a number of good recordings of the concerts that could be remastered and made available improving the versions that collectors may have. Seems tailor-made for a second volume, moving into another decade, offering significant benefit for 'lectric Miles collectors and also significant quality sonic potential and potential visual interest to perhaps attract a new fan and collector or three.

But the great thing about this series is I'm liable to look forward to any band or timeframe they choose.

Anyone else have any info, guesses, wishes?

I've also posted this thread on a jazz board and will bring any news or solid surmises gleaned from that thread to this one.

2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Looking at the Miles Session list I would have said that the next obvious set was the European Tour from late 1969.

October 26, 1969 Teatro Lirico, Milan
    October 27, 1969 Teatro Sistina, Rome
    October 31, 1969 Stadthalle, Vienna
    November 1, 1969 Hammersmith Odeon, London
    November 2, 1969 Ronnie Scott's Club, London
    November 3, 1969 Salle Pleyel, Paris
    November 4, 1969 Tivoli Konsertsal, Copenhagen
    November 5, 1969 Folkets Hus, Stockholm
    November 7, 1969 Philharmonie, Berlin
    November 9, 1969 De Doelen, Rotterdam

There's also the Juan Le Pins dates from July 69 which Sony promised years ago but never delivered.

Some of this stuff has been around on boots (Rome - Double Image, Paris - Paraphenalia) and some on DVD (Rome, Copenhagen, Berlin).

Then go to 1971 (there's a lot that I've never heard from that year) and then 1973 and 1975.

rochacrimson likes this.
  3. Lonson

That would be a great Volume indeed, this late '69 European material. I've learned from another board that there is a video of the Paris Show. Wow, to have that and several of these other shows in a Volume, would be exciting for me!

mightyquinn61 likes this.
  4. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Well, hopefully they don't insist on DVDs in each volume, thereby keeping more possibilities open for the release of other concerts that were not filmed.

Lon, didn't you communicate with Bob Belden in the past (although I don't think he is involved with Sony/Legacy anymore)?

5. Lonson

He's not involved with Sony now and is a bit. .. bitter. . . about it all. I've not brought Miles Davis material up with him for a while, and in these circumstances I'm not planning to. I don't communicate with him often; last time was a few weeks ago when I was middle-manning communication between him and my friend Dave Laczko of WD-41 (look them up!):)

6. Lonson

Personally, I like the DVD inclusions, makes ti a "draw" for several reasons, I like Miles on DVD, jazz on DVD, more and more.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Many European shows (which are the source for most good "bootlegs" of Miles before the 80's) were sponsored by state radio and television, so it seems at least one concert from each tour was filmed.

8. Some 1969 recordings would be amazing. I'd also pick up anything unreleased featuring John Coltrane.

9. Lonson

I know that's one reason why we had the '67 material as we did in Vol. 1. And I can see them mirroring that structure in future volumes, and the European tours make this possible. I'd welcome another 2 or 3 disc, one DVD editon.

10. Lonson

I'm solidly behind you on both of those!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

How about complete June 17-June 20, 1970 at the Fillmore.

Or Japanese Tour 1975.

12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

From Paul Tingen's (author of Miles Beyond) site:

http://www.miles-beyond.com/news.htm

13. Lonson

Great possibilities bri and shows. Thanks for that link bri. I'm all for going straight into electric territory!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I have a whole buncha killer 1973 shows on CD, like Belgrade. Paris and NYC...those would be cool, or Sau Paulo, Brazil 1974...I'd also like to see an official DVD of the movie "Prince of Darkness" (but the entire show) which was filmed in NYC 1-12-73, killer stuff !

15. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Wishes:

Vol. 2: '69
    Vol. 3: 71
    Vol. 4. '73
    Vol. 5. '75
    Although I would rather see the '75 tour get the deluxe Legacy treatment with the radio shows added to the unedited Agharta/Pangaea shows. [​IMG]

ArpMoog and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

At the risk of becoming a bore (because I have said this on this very board a number of times), I could not agree more emphatically with this.

ArpMoog likes this.
  17. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I'd welcome anything. Hopefully the 50s, early 60s will also be represented.

I just hope that they are not limiting selections to include just those concerts that were filmed. Audio-only releases of under-represented eras or of a particularly great show should also see release.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Has Sony/Columbia ever officially released the 1960 farewell shows in Scandinavia? with Coltrane playing his last live dates with Miles? I know there are grey market, or maybe even fully legal, releases of that material, but that's what I'd like to see next in this series.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A strong candidate. Only problem is that on the first box Sony reportedly had problems with the estate of composer Richard Carpenter (not Karen's brother) over the tune "Walkin'" which means they might need to omit it from future projects.

20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I would happily grab more of the acoustic quartet or qunitet Bitches Brew era sets and any decent sounding shows with Bill Evans and Cannonball if they exist.

joshm2286 and Leeston like this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Probably nothing exists with Bill Evans and Cannonball other than what has already come out, unfortunately.

22. Lonson

Yes, there's material that has come out on bootleg labels, so an official release would be welcome, will sound better, be annotated, etc.

joshm2286 likes this.
  23. I just hope vol1 is so successful that we'll see many more, there are just so many great concerts to pick from.

24. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Stockholm 1960 with Coltrane is great....but we really need to get the remarkable March 1960 show at L'Olympia music hall in Paris to hear Coltrane really wailing, and the supposedly jazz-sophisticated Parisians whistling derisively at him for doing so.

It's the jazz "Judas!" recorded moment, IMHO.