New AMC series: Hell on Wheels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I think this sounds promising. I could never talk the wife into trying MadMen, but this historical drama has some potential, at least on paper: historical facts, racial tensions with native Americans/ex slaves, post Civil war feelings, immigrant experiences, revenge drama.
    I only hope they can keep all the story lines straight.

Anyone else tuning in this weekend?

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yep. Trailer looked good at least.

3. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Oh boy...another show to watch (or DVR rather) on Sunday. Already have Dexter, Boardwalk, Homeland, and Walking Dead. I also record that tornado show but it really sucks now and seems more scripted than ever...I don't care about their personal lives, I just want to see tornado footage.

Seriously though, this show looks like it has promise. Maybe a less vulgar Deadwood perhaps.

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah Sunday night is a DVR nightmare.

5. I'll check it out, I'm a sucker for a good Western.

6. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Looks like it could be good. It doesn't appear as gritty as say, "Deadwood." It looks more polished and slick. I'll check it out for the helluvit.

7. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Will definitely be checking it out.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Time to set up my recording for this as soon as the recording of Boardwalk Empire is finished. I look forward to watching this, as it sounds/looks to be good.

9. Henry the Horse

Watched this last night and liked it.

10. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Recorded it last night. I'll probably watch it tonight after the game.

11. I watched the first 15 minutes and turned it off in disgust. The script is awful. When Colm Meaney went on about wanting his track laid out in curves I thought "god this is stupid". Sorry to those who expected quality, but Deadwood this isn't, nor is it worth investing my time in.

12. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah not sure if this is going to grab me or not. Seems like it's trying to be a western Boardwalk Empire.

Also not sure how many shows I can watch with this washed out weird colors grainy look, it's kind of giving me a headache as I watch it.

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Seriously I feel like I need to turn down the brightness on my TV.

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I liked the cinematography but the episode was boring and I lost interest pretty quickly. My friend liked it more than I did. I'll give it a few more episodes, I guess.

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

This. I wondered why the previews of the show seemed a little "thin" on details, but then the first 15 minutes of the first episode shed light on this: the story is poorly written. I too gave up after 15 minutes. I kept walking back into the room for a minute or two and this is my opinion: Family Guy is to the Simpsons as Hell on Wheels is to Deadwood. I think I'll pass.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought the episode was pretty good. Better than I expected given all the negative opinions here, though it seems a fair amount of those watched a whole 1/4 of it. I liked the opening scene in the confessional.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Was it eventually explained what that was all about?

18. agentalbert

I thought the scene was pretty self explanatory. The main guy Cullen is a former Confederate soldier who was getting revenge on a guy that was part of General Sherman's "March To The Sea". If you're unfamiliar with Civil War History, just look it up. Think of Cullen sorta like Josey Wales.

We don't really know if Cullen had targeted that particular Union soldier for a reason, or was just willing to kill anyone associated with Sherman. Maybe it was just to set the tone for the character. We know Cullen's wife is dead and that he lost her during the war, but don't know exactly what happened. Given what went on in that campaign and the Union soldier's awful guilt in the confessional, it's not hard to imagine Cullen's wife was more than simply killed.

19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Finally got around to watching the pilot last night. Not bad, but didn't completely impress me. I actually had to go back to a couple of sections of the show to see if I missed anything since it seemed like there were some unanswered questions. The confessional scene was one that confused me at first (but was cleared up a little by what happened at the end) and I also still cannot figure how this guy knew that going to work on the railroad he was going to run into one of the men responsible for killing his wife.

20. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

Wikipedia's overview
    He's after the soldiers who raped & murdered his wife during the Battle of Meridian (about 9 month's prior to Sherman's March to the Sea).

21. Henry the Horse

Wow. I thought it was very easy to follow, simple really.

22. agentalbert

23. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Saw the pilot ep. last night. I like what I'm seeing so far! It's been a long time since I made it a point to watch things on television. I'm watching more good programming now than I've seen in years.

24. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Thought it was great. A dash of "Boardwalk" and "Deadwood", with a pinch of "Justified" and as mentioned, "Josey Wales" thrown in. Can't wait till next week.

25. Meh, it's no "Breaking Bad", is it? For starters, how did our hero know when to be in the church confessional booth so he could shoot the guy when he came in to confess?

Like an earlier poster, I didn't care for the overall look of the show. I hate the current trend of washing out most of the color. If you don't like saturated color, you can shoot in black and white, but this washed out style irritates me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.