Route 66 - on Shout! Factory - DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz Thread Starter

Doesn't say anything about a DVD box set - I'd love to see Shout! Factory remaster 'Route 66'.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-pryor-route-66-258096

2. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz Thread Starter

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16184

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

So I take it Shout is only going to air the Route 66 series through various channels, while Roxbury, who have released 3 of the 4 seasons on dvd so far only recently, retain those dvd rights?
    I'd hate to have to repurchase the entire series again so soon, I just want the final season 4 released on dvd, as I have the 1st three seasons already.

4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

The entire series is available, (not officially) but it's out there...

5. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Good news... I think. I also have the 3 sets and would love to get the fourth season.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the first 2 seasons and that's fine with me...I wasn't into the personnel change.:)

7. jsayers

"Linc" actually wasn't that bad, and there's some very good episodes in season 3 and 4, many of them <in season 3> featured Martin Milner alone and are excellent. Plus Buzz was in the first half of season 3.
    I know what you mean, Linc ain't Buzz, but Stirling Silliphant was still writing most of the episodes and the show still kept the same spirit.
    I want season four!

8. Michael

I see your point, but it lost the "feel" for me.:)
    I fondly remember watching it back during the first run...

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I dunno. I don't think this show has any commercial appeal today. Not a terrible show, but there's a ton of series like this that just don't hold up, almost 50 years later.

But if they got it cheap, more power to them. I'd like to see the Halloween episode (the one with Boris Karloff) and also the one that was shot in Tampa on Gandy Bridge, since I remember that from my childhood. So that's 2 out of 116.

10. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Hey Marc. I've been working on some photos showing before and after views of Route 66 filming sites (mostly Florida) so you might find these interesting:

http://www.ohio66.com/peace/default.asp

I'm waiting for Season 4's DVDs because there are a bunch of Fla. episodes in the final season.

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I loved that show. I am trying to convince my son-in-law that using his Corvette to ride what is left of 66 is a good idea.

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

One of my all-time favorite shows. I already have the first three seasons on DVD, but would buy them again to get the fourth.

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Pretty amazing stuff, especially the "Route 66" screening memos from CBS. It gives an inside look at how sponsorships were developed. Although Chevrolet was the main sponsor, later in time it became a mixed bag of advertisers.

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Pretty much most of the actual 66 roadbed is still there, but it's just not an official US highway anymore.

Lots of it in Arizona is under the interstate, but the portion from Kingman to Seligman is amazing! :) (The "66" in my user name is not the year I was born. It's because I love driving 66 - and even did the whole thing in 2000.)

A Mustang convertible is also a nice option for the drive! :)

15. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

16. jsayers

I probably love this show for all the reasons it wouldn't appeal to "today's" viewers. No fast editing, jump-cuts, cell-phones, cussing, etc., just good scenery, scriptwriting <again, Stirling Silliphant was a genious imho>, acting, appearances by lots of great guest stars in early roles, just the whole "time-capsule" aspect of a time gone by. Same reason I like other older tv shows in a similar vein, like "Naked City", "The Virginian", "Gunsmoke", "Combat", the list goes on. I love "retro" tv! :righton:

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I love retro TV, too. Naked City is another favorite of mine (of course, Silliphant was involved in that one, too- the second series). I have all the NC DVDs, but it looks like no one will be forthcoming. Maybe Shout Factory will purchase that one, too?

18. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

That would be great!

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, those are cool, Dave! I have to admit, the Tampa in my mind is kind of frozen in the 1960s, despite the fact that I lived there up until early 1977. It's a shock to see the new bridges, torn-down buildings, and so on. When I visited back in 2005, I was amazed at how narrow and crowded so many of the streets are, and how ugly and worn-out so much of the city has become; a part of my brain still filters my memories through a 10-year-old kid's brain.

That would be the only reason I'd want to see the Route 66 shows, just to glimpse those forgotten parts of Florida. But from a dramatic/story point of view, it's just another old, archaic TV show.

To me, a little of this goes a long way. The pace is so slow, the shows are very, very tough for me to watch now. I'm not asking for slam-dash, punchy, ultra-fast cutting... just compelling TV, done well. I have no problem with I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, or Twilight Zone, but many if not most of the other shows are just snoozers to me.

But I still think all of this stuff should be preserved and should be made available to fans and collectors. Even if it just makes a little money, that's better than just sitting on the shelf, gathering dust and falling apart. And no matter what, the Corvette is still cool.

20. Michael

there are enough first generation fans that would love to see the series completed on DVD for a reasonable price...I hope they get satisfaction.:)

21. Michael

yes, but most of that stuff sucks...I stay far away from those pigs...

22. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

There was another Tampa episode that I started shooting but the most important scenes were out in East Tampa area (Thonotosassa, probably) involving a farmhouse that I never could find. Check out the Weeki Wachee episode photos. I knew where ALL those scenes were shot. I was learning how to swim up there at the same time they were shooting. I got to interview the mermaids who were in that episode (doubling for the female star).

23. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

That episode is up on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGPgKSww7PU

24. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I interpret the statement "on all packaged media" in the press release to mean that we'll see Route 66 retail DVD releases.

Being a big fan of the series since its Nick-At-Nite rerun days makes me a little biased here, but I'm actually hoping Shout! makes the decision to re-do DVD releases of the entire series from scratch. IMO, Infinity/Roxbury botched it big time with all the problems on their releases. Edited episodes, bad print quality, incorrect aspect ratios, defective/unplayable DVDs - you name it, it's happened with them. Furthermore, with perhaps one exception, they made no real effort to make any of these issues right with their customers. It was all beyond inexcusable to this consumer; I'm actually glad Infinity/Roxbury no longer have rights to the series.

I think Shout! will do right by the show, hopefully in the stellar manner they did with Leave It To Beaver. The series deserves it.

25. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

You know, I am having a very difficult time with the term "Retro" used for some of the programs of my childhood. I don't know why but, it sure gives me a weird feeling. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.