OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player (part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. MilesSmiles

Controlling the OPPO 95 through my iPad

Let me kick the second part of this thread off with a question that might have been touched on somewhere in part one.

I'm using the OPPO 95 for SACD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray stereo playback only. It currently is not hooked up to a TV and I would like to avoid doing so. Is there a way to use my iPad to control the DVD-A and Blu-Ray menu options?

Would something like the Logitech® Harmony® work?

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Another idea is to buy a cheap, not too big PC monitor with HDMI input (and preferably 1080p resolution), that you connect to the Oppo and place somewhere where it's convenient. The Oppo menu has very large fonts, so even a small monitor placed much further away that a computer monitor usually is will be fine.

I always use two monitors with my PC, which is at a desk behind my listening seat. I replaced my old secondary monitor with a new Samsung 22" with 1080p resolution and two HDCP-compliant HDMI inputs, that I now share between the PC and the Oppo.

My 55" TV is connected to HDMI1, but for listening to music files I don't want to switch it on, instead I turn the other monitor (connected to HDMI2) towards my listening seat and switch it to the input on which the Oppo is connected.

The Logitech Harmony works with the Oppo (I use one), but the problem is the lack of display. You can't browse files or change settings on the Oppo without seeing what you are doing. The Oppo cannot be controlled remotely by another computer/iPad

4. MilesSmiles

Thanks, I was concerned that the Logitech Harmony would not allow for browsing files and changing settings - if there is no other solution then the small PC monitor will be my fall back solution. :thumbsup:

5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Is it worth buying this just to use as a CD player?

6. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I read in another thread that people are using this compact 7" monitor for navigation on the OPPO 93/95.

http://www.jensign.com/haier/

In theory I would think a device like Apple TV could stream video from the oppo to your iPad.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If you use the Oppo with a 1080p display for watching movies (as I suppose most people do), and you want a secondary small display on HDMI2 for controlling the player while listening to music (when the main display is off), I strongly recommend getting a 1080p display, because the Oppo cannot use two displays with different resolutions, and this would complicate things. It would mean that one displays goes blank when the other is on, or the native resolution cannot be used on the main display.

8. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I'm not sure why you would use it just for CDs considering everything else it does, but it sounds very good with CDs. I have a Sim Moon Equinox that cost almost three times as much as the Oppo but the Oppo has become my go-to CD player, much to my chagrin.

9. MilesSmiles

My research got me to the same product, I might just have get one. :cheers:

PS: Still wish someone would come up with a solution to use an iPad for the task, there must be a nice market for it.

10. MilesSmiles

Good to know, less of an issue for me as I'm using it for music only.

11. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Sounds to me like SergioRZ has a real lemon. I think I'd be asking for a new unit.

12. MilesSmiles

No more fussing with the menu options and no need to switch on the big screen, the OPPP 95 now has its own dedicated screen, all 7" of it. :righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very nice!

14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

for 2.0 users, interested to hear experiences with playing audio HD sources which contain both 5.1 and 2.0 mixes and the comparison between the two (the Oppo automatically downmixes the 5.1 to 2.0).

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Oliver,

Which display is that? The button layout looks at little different than the Haier HLT71. Thanks :).

Bill

16. MilesSmiles

That's the model I wanted but I couldn't find anyone to import it to the UK for me and my next US trip is a few weeks off. Had to go with a UK company.

http://www.esaw.co.uk/

PS: I only wanted it to control menu functions but now I find myself looking at the video content playing some of the DVD-As and Blu-Rays. I like to listen in the evening in a dark room, just the glow of the tubes - that was the main reason I didn't hook it up to a big screen. The 7" screen is perfect, very unintrusive to the listening experience.

17. EricT

EricT Forum Resident

I just ordered an OPPO BDP 95. A little early Christmas gift to myself. I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else. I am really looking forward to hearing things for the first time on my SACDs and DVD-As.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cool. Being in LA I'm sure you'll have it this week. Post up a review!

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it as much as I love mine. It nice to be able to throw any kind of disk at it and have it play. It sounds great too. Let us know what you think once you have it hooked up and use it for a while.

20. EricT

EricT Forum Resident

I received my OPPO BDP 95 today! Great packaging and delivery within 3 days of placing the order. I hooked it up to my Stax headphones right out of the box to check out the sound quality. I quickly compared it to all of my CD/DVD players and it is definetly in another league. The bass is deeper and more controlled. The vocals are clearer. The transients are quicker. Percussion sounds more realistic and this is without any burn-in. I am a happy camper! I will put it in my video system this weekend.

21. beavy

beavy Forum Resident

Hello,

I have a question not directly related to the OPPO but somehow :angel:

I bought the relatively cheap Sony BDP-S570 that offers SACD playback.
    I've set the SACD output to DSD stream, so the decoding happens directly in my amplifier Pioneer LX 90 (when in "Pure Direct" mode it even plays the DSD stream without converting it to PCM before).

So my question is, would there be a remarkable difference in sound quality between a high end/expensive SACD player like the OPPO and my cheap Sony if both units are set to DSD output via HDMI without internal decoding?
    To my understanding the sound then should only depend on the decoder of the amplifier or am I completely wrong?

Cheers
    beavy

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes, that's the theory. It's similar to the reasoning that all CD transports must sound alike. Not necessarily true in practice.

When using PCM output (for a HDMI receiver which does not decode DSD), there could be a significant difference, because of the way the DSD-PCM conversion is done by the player. The Sony decodes to 24/176 and the Oppos to 24/88, but some people claim the Oppo's PCM signal sounds better.

If you intend to use an Oppo that way, there would be no point in buying the Oppo 95, since it's main advantage is the better analogue stage (the other being the better power supply, which may not have a significant impact on the digital stage).

23. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

This is exactly what I was thinking for my set-up. Thanks for the excellent tip!!

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Go for the Sony, or at most the OPPO BDP-93. There are several non-audio features which the OPPOs excel at.

25. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

I had the opportunity to lend the Oppo 95 from my local dealer. It ran for aprox. 60 hours. I tested the analog output and it was really good. This is a very fine CD/SACD-Player. The sound is faster than on my Wadia 830 (both players had Magnan Vi interconnects and Aural Symphonics Espresso power cables). And the Oppo has more top end. But the Wadia has more air and room. And the Wadia has way more timbre, more harmonic colors. When I change to SACD, I can clearly hear more details. The Nat King Cole SACD-layers are clearly better than the redbook layers. But the tone colors of the Wadia 830 redbook-playback are still missing. That's why I am not buying the Oppo. But it is a great player for that kind of money. Since I am looking for SACD-playback, I will try out the Sony 5400. I will miss the digital input and the bluray playback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.