Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #32)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 31 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

It came up in the previous thread that it would be fun to post our favorite Classical finds from 2011, including new recordings, reissues and recordings that are simply new to us. I think this is a great idea!

Here's some useful links for other people's lists for 2011:

The Best Classical Music Recordings of 2011 - Posted by Alex Ross

New York Times Gift List

Washington Post

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

32! Just like the total number of Beethoven's piano sonatas. Far out! :goodie:

[​IMG]

Will post my modest list for 2011 later on.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Just for info I have seen a listing for a Gunter Wand box set, in the same style as the Bernstein symphony edition.

Anyway, these things can sell out quick so it may be worth ordering if you are a fan.

Amazon number is B0069EOZT8

£63 on Amazon UK for 29 discs.

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Listening to Sonata No. 32 from my Takács set right now. :)

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The best purchase for me this year (by far) was Spotify Premium. I find the availability of new music somewhat overwhelming (and not just classical). Sound quality is acceptable. I listened to the EMI Sawallisch Schumann Second (Spotify) over the weekend immediately after the EMI Jochum Bruckner Third (Apple lossless from CD). There was some additional harshness, but the music was compelling.

It is changing my listening habits, and I admit I have not fully adjusted.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It is kind of an interesting article but I really couldn't make out what point he was trying to make. Obviosuly Chopin understood his own music so what would he bring to a performance of his own music today that would be seen as indicative of a lack of understanding?

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Wait'll we get to the total number of Scarlatti sonatas. :D

8. George P

I use the free version of Spotify to sample stuff before I buy and for this purpose, it works well for me.

:laugh:

9. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

10. Karajan 60

[​IMG]

Arrived today, it will be my pet project for 2012 to move through the whole box set.

11. George P

Very nice set, Miles, but I suspect you might be too busy with your avatar to listen to it in a year - or will you be multitasking?

12. Somebody will have to change the CDs for me, why not Santa's little helper. :shh:

13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Wow, thanks for posting. Amazon US price is even better, actually, 80 USD.

Has anyone seen a track listing? It's 29 discs. That's a lot (obviously).

Also came across this very vague, but seductive listing, for Wilhelm Kempff "Solo Piano Recordings" (35 discs!):

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Piano-Recordings-Wilhelm-Kempff/dp/B0064ZDQCO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1

Looks as if it's an import from Decca; perhaps it's the complete Kempff solo piano, which would be one whopper of a set. :goodie:

14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

This set is beautiful. I planned to spend a long time listening to it but went through it within about a week. :righton:

15. George P

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Picked up nine more lps yesterday including Bruno Walter's Beethoven 9th on Columbia. Thankfully my contents insurance claim from the February earthquake came yesterday and I can now replace my turntable. :D

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I have to admit, I am bordering on becoming obsessed with Oliver's avatar.

What's interesting is that someone posted the whole picture from which his smaller pic came. I liked the smaller one better. :)

18. George P

You're behind the curve.

19. Well, I put some effort into creating the avatar from the bigger pic, I like it better that way too. :)

20. In a week? now that is what I would call obsessed. :D

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Really! Wow. Are there more than 35 CD's of solo Kempff on the Universal labels (Decca, DG)?

22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

:laugh:

You really did a nice job with it, especially that frosted-window border look. :thumbsup:

23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Not strictly classical (more jazz with an orchestral flourish) but I have been enjoying this one lately:

[​IMG]

Claude Bolling - Suite For Chamber Orchestra And Jazz Piano Trio

The transition from strings to piano is handled well, and the recording is pretty sweet, too.

--Geoff

24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

As much as I suspect I shouldn't open this can of worms, I'm going to anyway. :D

George, you posted the waveform for an excerpt from the Chailly Beethoven set yesterday. It looks pretty bad, yes, but I myself am finding very little to complain about sound-wise (I'm listening via Alessandro MS-1s powered by an eMu0202 soundcard). I'm not hearing distortion or multiple clipped peaks anywhere, and even the waveform would suggest that there is still a high degree of dynamic range. Of course, it may sound different listening ambiently (which I plan to do when I get a chance).

I'm mentioning this because this is one of my favorite releases of the year 2011, and I'm hoping you all don't think I've lost it. I'm really enjoying Chailly's interpretations greatly.

25. George P

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the set! I just felt it was wise to inform people of what I had found. At the least, I have a set to load into my Blackberry and listen to on the streets of NYC. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.